PDA

View Full Version : Eager to get started and getting impatient!

amirose
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Hiya,

Firstly am very glad I found this board I have got lots of advice just through reading other peoples posts :) and second, You should also know I'm a highly impatient person!!! :laughing:

I started 10th Jan (as in made myself available to start) after FINALLY completing all the relevant training inspections and paperwork. My first mindee started on 3rd feb, an after schooler 2 hours a day 3 days a week. M's school was shut on 3rd so have had M 2 days this week and its all very new for both of us but because M's my only mindee she needs 100% attention so I am having to colour and play with the cars etc :laughing:

Anyway I have only had one other enquiry/phone call for a baby full time, I sent off a parent pack but that was a over a couple of weeks ago so I think thats a no go.

Anyway I have been reading about people getting 3 enquiries a week and I have had only had 2 in a month! I'm really eager to get started full time I have final got there but not quite because I'm still sitting around doing nothing all day and I'M BORED!

Am I being impatient?! I have a website, advertise online, advertise through window decals on my property, am on chilcarelink and have emailed the local childrens centre my information.

I am going in at £4.50 p/hr which for my area is about average I believe it ranges from £3.50-£5, I am only registered for 4 mindees so need to make it worth my while but I'm starting to fret that I should just go in cheaper.

Support needed please!!! :blush:

Ami

Bananabrain
08-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Mine didn't really take off for a few months,alot of work now is word of mouth.

Made sure I joined the local cminding group and said the right things to the right people!

Also took an average of what the ncma handbook said about fees in my area and what the others were charging.4.50 sounds about right to me.

Having said all that I have spaces at the mo,and not many calls/leads.

Think recession is starting to hit us too.

Tends to go in waves ,Jan and Sept are obviously busy.Don't give up!!!

sue m
08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
It is a job where you can be sat at home - impatiently - for months with nothing and then you get a phone call or more than one if you're lucky. Fraid you do have to be patient :( Here we have a childmider support and development officer and and if you have one, let her know you have vacancies. If anyone rings me - which they haven't for months now - I ask my friends locally and if they can't have them, I tell them to ring the CDSO.

What area do you live in? I'm still charging £3ph. I was charging that in London 6/7 years ago but have moved a little further North.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Jules27
08-02-2009, 06:40 PM
It takes time to get established. I registered last July, 1st mindee started end august, 2nd in sept and 3rd in October. Got my 1st full timer in JAnuary. I now seem to having enquiries at least once a week but it HAS taken time!!!

Keep a check on what other minders are charging/what vacancies they have. MAke sure they all have your contact details to be able to pass on if they are full.

Wish I could charge £4.50 p/h!! Round here its between £3 - £4 so I am £3.25.
Be patient just a little bit longer, business WILL pick up, probably when you least expect it!!!:D

tulip0803
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I am now in Wales - I moved and had to re-register (Nov 08) I have had 3enquiries since Nov. One started part-time (11 hours) the week after I registered, one I haven't heard back from and one was thinking of looking for a job in April:rolleyes: . I know exactly how you are feeling. I was so busy before - But I did have one period when all but one child left (15 hours max) so had to get a job in a pub in the evenings:( . It takes a while for you to go on the local authority list sometimes. Ours is updated once a month and I just missed the one before so it was 4 weeks before I was entered into the system:( .

I charge £3 as that is the going rate round here. I charged that in Essex 5 years ago.

amirose
09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
It is a job where you can be sat at home - impatiently - for months with nothing and then you get a phone call or more than one if you're lucky. Fraid you do have to be patient :( Here we have a childmider support and development officer and and if you have one, let her know you have vacancies. If anyone rings me - which they haven't for months now - I ask my friends locally and if they can't have them, I tell them to ring the CDSO.

What area do you live in? I'm still charging £3ph. I was charging that in London 6/7 years ago but have moved a little further North.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hiya,

I am in Crawley, West Sussex (up near Gatwick airport)

Ami