PDA

View Full Version : Story sacks

sarah32
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Im feeling brave and would like to put together a story sack

Any ideas on a easy one to start with.

Ive found a shop on ebay that sells finger puppets and they seem quite reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INCY-WINCY-SPIDER-FINGER-PUPPET-STORY-TEACHING-SACK-NEW_W0QQitemZ370151260988QQihZ024QQcategoryZ230QQc mdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Is this what every one uses or dolls??

Dont know where to start:(

sarah707
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
It depends on the book!

You can put in what you want... eg if your children are currently taken by a book about bears you might add... a bear (or different sized ones for comparing), plastic bears to go in the messy tray, some bear books, a bear game (Orchard usually have something), tea set for the bears, bear shaped writing paper, bear templates for decorating, ribbon to thread round some hole punched cardboard bears... :D

donnadoo2004200
07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I made one recently, had a book of twinkle twinkle little star, a flash light, and some black glittery material which the children could get under and shine the flash light the material then looked liked shining stars, they think its fab and have a great time around 30 minutes. This is my first one so any more ideas would be great.:jump for joy:

sarah32
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I think I will do goldilocks and the three bears as my first story sack.

Now off to look for the puppets for it.:)

madasahatter
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM
If you are aiming your storysack at preschoolers then I would tend to go with soft toys rather than finger puppets as they are easier to move to the story. So for goldilocks I would use a blond ragdoll and 3 teddies (big, medium and small). When we did this story we made some chairs and beds using cardboard boxes and fabric. I used the very thick card from a packing box to make a slot together baby bear chair that would break easily and could be fixed together again for subsequent retellings of the story.
I find charity shops and car boot sales are good places to get cheap soft toys for storysacks (go with a list of what you are looking for). Whatever I buy I wash (even if the label says sponge clean only).

helenlc
08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I was in Early learning Centre the other day and they had a Goldilocks and the 3 Bears sets. It had the 3 bears, Goldilocks, 3 beds, 3 chairs, a table, 3 bowls and spoons etc. It was lovely.

It was about £15 which I think is reasonable as I think its easier than trying to find 3 bears of different sizes, 3 little beds of different sizes etc.

Here is the link:

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/goldilocks-three-bears/

The size of the spoons and bowls concerned me ie choking hazard but it depends on the ages you have and you could alwys keep it away from the children and then bring it down and be in charge of it at all times.

But I thought it was a cute set and am going to treat myself to it soon. One ready made story sack - just got to get the book!!

Rasharoon
08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you have a local toy library. We've recently had one open up within the Children & Family Centre and they have such a wide selection of story sacks. They really are fab.
As a childminder, I pay £5.00 for the year and can borrow up to three items a time and keep them for 6 weeks.
Definately worth looking into.

Carol
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Postman pat

Story, soft postman pat toy, cat,red van (matchbox) colouring pictures, writing set and stamps,make a postbox, postman pat games, dvd, envelopes (different sizes) world stamps, etc...........

Carol

Toni
08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
I had to make one for college - i had to write and illustrate the book the whole hog :-) mine was set in a zoo so i had small cuddly toys of lots of zoo animals and a zoo play mat type things, role play with animal masks, a giant floor puzzle of a zoo, a snap style game for the older ones, a fact picture book about wild animals, a sorting game that i put up on a display board and something else that i cant for the life of me remember lol the kids loved it though they were between 2 and 5 and decided they actually liked getting in the bag best lol oh i had some sparkly animal stickers as well but that wasnt what i was thinking of :-S

Monkey1
09-02-2009, 06:13 AM
I try and make my own resources for story sacks............no one has the same ones then!

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14513&highlight=hungry+caterpillar

sarah32
09-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Im not that very creative monkey, would love to be able to make my own puppets, characters.

Some great ideas girls. thanks:)

huggableshelly
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25154

the link above has a link inside to buy resources.

There is a set of finger puppets made up ready to decorate which is a great activity for the children to create the characters then retell the story.

I'n not ordered these yet but going back for them soon.

Chell
13-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Story sacks (http://www.chelltune.co.uk/Story-sacks.php) - there are some ideas in this link.