PDA

View Full Version : Meeting parents for first time

tomthumb
30-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I have had my first enquiry, yipee!!!!:clapping:
Mum wants me to have her 3 year old boy 2 days a week from 7am till 18:15. He will be at nursery school from 8:30 until 12:40. I have a few questions...
What do I need to have ready for the first meeting? I was thinking copy of reg certificate, insurance, all relevant training certificates, policies, how the setting 'operates'.
Then I will have a breakdown of costs and contracts and various forms to fill in.:eek:
Is that all??? I am not worried about meeting them, just worried I won't have everything ready. Then I will need to show her the house and the things that I will do with her little boy.
Also I know you all have different views on that as I have read other posts but I was thinking of charging half price when her son is at nursery. Do you think it is fair? You can't really take any children for such a short amount of time so you have a space 'blocked' for that particular child.
One last question :rolleyes: how do you charge for 15 mns? Do you divide the hourly price by four???
Thank you in advance as I know you are all going to be so helpful!!! I did check the posts before but could not find answers to my questions!!

XX Elodie

LittleMissSparkles
30-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I personally would charge from 7am till 6.15pm even whilst at nursery.

Sounds like you are well prepared for your prospective parents coming good luck xxx

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Elodie

Well done you must be really excited

Sounds like you have everything in order and it sounds like you know what you have planned and what you are doing

Well done

I usually get a few toys out for the child - pass my folder to the parents and sit on the floor with the child and play giving them time to look through it

If you want to charge half fees whilst the child is at nursery it is up to you

I never used to charge at all - how mad was I ??

I charge full fees now you need to be available when child is at nursery so you may want to consider that and charge full fees

I do not charge for 15 min I take it to the nearest hour or half hour

So if a child is coming at 8.15 in the morning I charge from 8am

For a child that would be staying till 6.15 I would charge till 6.30 just makes it easier and I have never had any complaints in all the years I have been minding about that

Hope that helps

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

sarah707
30-01-2008, 06:21 PM
You sound like you have everything under control there! Now you need to put the papers in a file and relax for the evening :p

Here's my list of things to remember to talk about when parents come...hope it helps x :D

List to discuss with new families –

• Give welcome pack, policies & procedures précis & contracts / permissions for age of child in a folder with business card attached

• Me (qualifications), my children; ages of others here at same time (remember confidentiality!)

• Show CRBs

• Car & insurance proof

• Meals, drinks & snacks; kitchen hygiene certificate

• Child’s routines – term time & holidays

• Observations, planning & assessments

• Medication, illness & emergencies (first aid certificate)

• Religious or cultural requirements?

• Special needs?

• Confidentiality & policy; complaints & policy; safeguarding children & policy

• Settling–in times - how many sessions do they need?

• Tour of house and garden - is upstairs tidy? Is garden risk assessed?

• References - who will I give?

• Anything else parents want to discuss?

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Make it nice and easy going and not formal

You are not a nursery and that is not what these parents are looking for thats why they are coming to see you

My meetings with parents are always really easy going and very informal

You do not want to scare them off

Angel xx

tomthumb
30-01-2008, 06:44 PM
thank you so much for your advice. I have to say if I am ready and I feel more or less ready it is especially thanks to the website and all of you being so nice and helpful. I have found so much information there or ideas on where to find the information.
I love your list Sarah and if you don't mond, I'd like to copy it so that I don't forget anything!!
Let's keep fingers crossed for tuesday!! I will keep you posted.

Banana
30-01-2008, 06:54 PM
You have had some good advice and you sound like you know what you are doing!!

All that is left for me to say is good luck! and let us know how the meeting goes

x

charleyfarley
30-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Good luck for visit

You've been given great advice already

Carol xx

Mollymop
30-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Good luck, I hope it goes well, elodie. XX

Spangles
30-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Good luck sounds good to me!

Lou
30-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Good luck, you have had some great advice. let us know how you get onxxx

miffy
30-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck

Relax and be yourself

Don't forget to let us know what happens

Miffy xx

tomthumb
31-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi,

Quick update, mum just called me to cancel. She has found someone else...I am really disappointed. This is the 3rd bad news in 2 days!!! Hopefully that should be it now as they come in 3 no???:(
Never mind!