PDA

View Full Version : planning for over 5's

daisychainqueen
07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
How many of you do planning for over 5's?
I have 7 over 5's term time, I do plan for them but haven't been keeping detailed long term, medium, weekly etc.

Should I be?
And if I should, what's the easiest/best way to do it?

sarah707
07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
The big ones tend to follow the same routines every day so I do a routines sheet for them... they take it in turns to cook etc.

Then they join in with the stuff the younger ones have done - there's usually craft etc left over for them.

I don't write down individual planning for them, I just let them do what they want from a choice.

My evidence of planning for them is my long term plan which shows celebrations / festivals / themes we've followed :D

Dragonfly
07-02-2009, 04:03 PM
same as sarah:)

daisychainqueen
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks Sarah, it's a relief to hear I don't need to do more paper work!

Do you keep scrap books for the oldies?

sarah707
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Do you keep scrap books for the oldies?

They keep them for themselves!

They use the camera (supervised) and take photos of things they want to go in their photo albums and help upload them for printing etc. Then we sit down together and they write comments. For my current lot I got black scrap books and they use gel pens for their notes - it looks really eye catching and I hope they will be a great memory when they leave :D

Mollymop
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I do pretty much the same as Sarah.
Because over 5's are at school and not with me as much as the younger ones they just go with the flow unless it is the school hols. But still I don't do any planning for them inparticular, like individual plans, but they are included in what all the other children are doing, so they are included in my weekly or themed plans.
I do keep all of their art work, crafts, etc and take photos and put them in scrapbooks as it is nice to give them when they leave.
My inpsector said that even though we "don't have to" keep plans, etc for non-EYFS children she would be really pleased I have evidence of them doing activites in my setting.
So she was really pleased to see my scrapbooks for the 2 over 5's I mind xx

daisychainqueen
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I REALLY like the sound of the black scrap books and photos, :thumbsup: where do you get them from?

sarah707
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
The local car boot sale :blush:

daisychainqueen
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I think a trip to WH Smiths is in order, or maybe my local pound shop.

Thanks for all your help:)

huggableshelly
07-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I tend to repeat activities for my over 5's especially the craft, its easier to leave it all out for them to come home too especially in this weather.

I have a basic routine that allows the over 5's to come home and decide what they might like to do for the 2 hours, most of the time they go straight out into the garden until its either too cold or getting dark, I have no under 5's after school run so it works well and fits in with "childrens choice".

They all have their own scrap books too.

Rasharoon
08-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I have 3 over 5's after school and hadn't thought about scrapbooks so great idea - thank you.
Mind you, the 9yo I look after just wants to sit infront of the TV. She just isn't interested in anything else - is this OK? I have tried with crafts as she used to enjoy it but now, if she does anything, it is with complete lack of enthusiasm.