PDA

View Full Version : Concerned and not sure what to do

tigger
06-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I have a few concerns over a mini munchkin I look after. The behaviour is very concerning eg. licking the walls, when she comes she is very good at numeracy, puzzles but if she gets anything like glue on her hands goes totally mad, repeats things to herself over and over again, there are so many other things but when I ask mum if she has any concerns she says this is just how she is, should I express my concerns to her? She has also started a nursery so should I let them observe her and wait and see if they say anything to the mum? What to do I'm not quite sure...

wellybelly
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Make sure you get a consent from mum before talking to nursery. All children have their little things they do, have another word with mum and talk about specific things you've noticed. Make sure you log it too. Dont know what to suggest, but dont worry too much

Shar
06-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Mum did'nt want to admit there may be a reason for strange behaviour. Keep a diary of your concerns and log any information (this will cover you if years down the line mum says" why did'nt you say anything"). It was only when the nursery finally had the child statemented, mum decided to move house and ran away with the problem. The child has Asbergers syndrome and could have recieved help much sooner had mum co-operated.

kindredspirits
06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
i agree - i'd start a little note book, just for yourself at first, so you've got a list of every concern, then you have evidence for want of a better word to confront mum with.

MissTinkerbell
06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
As an ex-SENCO my advice would be to start a notebook logging the behaviour. Also get permission from mum to talk to nursery and the SENCO there. If they notice the same behaviour they would, I imagine get the Early Years Ed Psych in for an observation. This may be the start of something or it may just be the child's way - you just don't know and the sooner this can be clarified the better.