PDA

View Full Version : Showing round your house?

Schnakes
05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
When you interview, do you show people round your house?

Mostly they dont ask, but when they do Im not sure what the procedure is. The other day I was interviewing and the mum asked but I had three under fives who I didnt want to take upstairs so I said no, and the mum made me feel quite uncomfortable about it.

Just wondering what everyone else does really, cos I get asked quite alot.

Sx

ajs
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
hi my upstairs is not registered so no i do not show anyone around upstairs at first meeting
may be after i have signed contracts if anyone shows an interest and it's convenient i may do

berkschick
05-02-2009, 10:18 PM
When I was first registered I used to show them everywhere and almost everything!!

I did an interview last week and Mum never made it past the lounge! ( she still signed though!)

I only show them round now if they ask. All my house is registered but I only use upstairs for little ones to sleep. Downstairs s fairly open plan anyway.

charleyfarley
05-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Like Mandy my upstairs isn't registered.

I do show them every downstairs room the children use though.

If your parent wants to see upstairs why not ask them to come back when you haven't got mindees

Carol xx

tulip0803
05-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I only show parents around the areas which are used for minding. My upstairs is not registered, other than the bathroom and due to the layout of my house the bathroom is straight up one flight to mini landing thingy and then straight up 3 steps, the bedrooms are up thee steps on the left so there is no reason for them to see these areas as it is my private areas (CSSIW inspector sees them, public doesn't:) )

She should be happy that you are putting the safety and needs of the children in your care first.

crazybones
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldnt show them upstairs because there is no need. Its not reg. I would be happy for them to wander round downstairs while I stood in doorway watching lo's and keeping my eye on them but the way my house is set out they wouldnt be out of sight anywhere they shouldnt be.

Pipsqueak
05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I do, but not upstairs - although its reg'd its not actually used (apart from the bathroom - which is soon to be downstairs and I will de-reg upstairs).

Angela234
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I show them around downstairs in the gardens then ask if they want to see the bedroom little ones sleep in they usually do

Angela

angeldelight
05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I only show them the rooms I am registered for

I dont take them upstairs I have no need

If they did want to go up stairs I think I would feel like saying " do I get an invite to your house then ?" :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Buzz Lightyear
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I show my potentials round my house as I always get a "oooh you're house is sooo nice" afterwards. Whether they're just being polite though remains to be seen.

My upstairs is registered though and I like to show the parents where their child will play / sleep.

cheeky monkeys
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
My whole house is registered, but only use upstaires for sleeping. I only show upstaires if mum has an under 1, to re-asure her about travel cots etc. Otherwise where is the privacy???
I do use my teenage girls room.....Who would want to show those off????

ruby
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
we have a bathroom downstairs as well as up so the upstairs is not registered only the down stairs

would show parents around if they asked

cathy

gegele
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
i would show upstairs as bathroom is upstairs, lo will sleep upstair too and as a mum i would want to see it. you know to make sure there is not death eater upstairs, clandestine children workshop....!! lol
seriously if the minder did say no i wouldn't have let my child as i have vivid imagination and i'd rather see an untidy upstairs than no upstairs does that make sense??

but like everything in this work it always end up by : it's up to you!!!!!:jump for joy:

mandy moo
06-02-2009, 07:33 AM
As with most on here only my room and ensuite are registered, upstairs.
ANd no I dontshow upstairs unless they ask..

PixiePetal
06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Don't think anyone would want to see in my teenage childrens rooms!!:laughing: Or could even get in the door sometimes:mad:

Would show bathroom and my room for sleeping if needed.

Schnakes
06-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Interesting replies. Usually I do take them up, but then I try not to interview during working hours.

It never occured to me, when we had childminders, to ask to see upstairs. Not quite sure what people think is up there. Yes, I have it laid out beautifully downstairs for the children, but upstairs is a grunge pit covered in slime and insects??? FFS!! :rolleyes: Plus, the children sleep in my room, and I dont really like every Tom Dick and Harry tramping through the only room in the house I can call my own!! :littleangel:

Sx

Bushpig
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
My main bedroom door is always closed, not because it's the messiest room in the place (which it is :blush: ), but because the kids don't go in there. Ever. When showing parents around at first I say 'this is our bedroom, not used for childminding'... and then move onto the playroom. They don't see inside, it's our one little bit of privacy we still manage to keep as the rest of the home is always on display :)

rickysmiths
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
My whole house is registered. I have rarely been asked to see upstairs but what I say is, sorry upstairs is the families private space, Ofsted have seen it and registered the bedrooms as suitable for use.

I explain that I have 3 travel cots and the children will have thier own set of beddding. For the older ones who sleep in a bed I have 2 ready beds and they sleep in the sitting room downstairs.

I couldn't bear to have strangers walking around the bedrooms and we are a home not an institution.

butterfly
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
my whole house is registered but i still don't feel happy about showing parents upstairs. No one has ever asked which is just as well as that's where i hide the rubbish when people come!

Hebs
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
:laughing:

think i need to go put my washing away :thumbsup: incase parents ask tonight :laughing:

michellethegooner
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I show rooms that child will be using, my whole house is registered bar my bedroom, and I say to parents thats my room but no need to see as I dont use for c/m as for my teenage daughters room I explain it is probably a mess, but I check for hazards daily & it is only used for naps, never been a problem.
I do get asked sometimes but usually it is me who asks do u want to have a look around and see where little johnny/jane will b sleeping, eating, playing, etc

gegele
06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
when i did visit my childminders house i did ask to see upstairs, but not ALL of it I wouldn't go in her bedroom unless that's where my daughter was sleeping and i didn't go near her children's bedrooms. i just look where my baby would sleep and i didn't see or smell anything that chocked me pmsl!!!

i think parents should see where their children will sleep, fair enough we are ofsteded but every 3yrs!! how many of you have different house for inspection??? i know lots of minder you put this how ofsted like them and then put them back how they like it!!!!:D

RedDragon
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
when i did visit my childminders house i did ask to see upstairs, but not ALL of it I wouldn't go in her bedroom unless that's where my daughter was sleeping and i didn't go near her children's bedrooms. i just look where my baby would sleep and i didn't see or smell anything that chocked me pmsl!!!

i think parents should see where their children will sleep, fair enough we are ofsteded but every 3yrs!! how many of you have different house for inspection??? i know lots of minder you put this how ofsted like them and then put them back how they like it!!!!:D

Honestly? The only thing I did differently was put my bottles of red wine out of view as OFSTED don't like them being on show - as soon as she (inspector) left they were back where I could look at them lovingly - longingly - roll on 6pm lol

Schnakes
07-02-2009, 07:54 AM
The only thing I did differently was put my bottles of red wine out of view as OFSTED don't like them being on show - as soon as she (inspector) left they were back where I could look at them lovingly - longingly - roll on 6pm lol

Haha!! I like your style!! :D

My whole house is registered. I have rarely been asked to see upstairs but what I say is, sorry upstairs is the families private space, Ofsted have seen it and registered the bedrooms as suitable for use.

Thats a good reply, thank you - I think I will say that in the future.

I dont know why, but it always really irritates me when parents ask to use my bathroom too. (Its upstairs, my whole house is registered). I just dont like the thought of people I dont really know wandering around my house. Im probably being an old fusspot though. I think I get it from my mum. When we were kids we werent even allowed in her bedroom unless it was a Saturday morning!!! And we had to knock first..and not before 8am, either!!!

Sx

huggableshelly
08-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I only show downstairs where the children will be and the outside area.

and yep if i have bottles of wine out I move them too lol

peanuts
08-02-2009, 08:05 AM
i used to show around the areas i used for childminding, but not now only if they ask. too much paperwork to go through now.

karen

mum22
08-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I show the areas where the children will be, including my sons room where the travel cot is.

balloon
08-02-2009, 09:06 AM
My whole house is registered but I have never been asked by parents if they could see upstairs.

I did ask my first mindees mum if she wanted to see where her 6 month old would sleep but she was so happy with the downstairs that she said there was no need. I've never actually thought about asking anybody else.

I like the answer that rickysmiths gave, it's polite, honest, to the point and would be very difficult to argue with. I can appreciate that some parents may think you have gremlins upstairs but if they can't trust you that it's like the rest of your house why on earth are they thinking about leaving their child with you, lol!