PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please..Unusual Situation!!

Schnakes
05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, this is a first! I saw two sets of parents last week and they both want to sign contracts! I really dont know who to let down. I was supposed to see two other families today but cancelled them. Last year I was scrabbling around for business. I guess thats just the way it goes.

Anyway - I thought I would float this by you because I really am having difficulties deciding and when I ask Mr S he says "you have to do whats best for you" :rolleyes: Very helpful!!!

Family a) 8 month old boy 4 days a week. Had a trial morning and he cried 80% of the time. Not sure if I want to take on a clingy baby.

Family b) 4 month old twins two days a week. Not sure I want to take on twins!! Also, I would need to get a variation for 2 under 1s.

Am almost tempted not to take on either of them...but of course if I did that then there would be a drought and I would be on the dole que!!

Sx

Lou
05-02-2009, 09:28 PM
MR S is right (but dont tell him i said that!!)

You must do whats best or you, your family and your situation....

however i would think if you went with the twins you would need the ok from Ofsted first?

sorry im no help :laughing:

Lou
05-02-2009, 09:29 PM
why didnt you see the other families? they may have been better for you?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Personally I would take the twins as they are a great age and don't know what is happening. The bonus of getting it over with and having a couple of days off is so inviting.

You won't have any problems with getting the variation as it is twins.

On saying that if I was to get paid less for twins rather than 2 separate ones I would go for the 1 child and look for another.

Don't think that helped much.

Twinkles
05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Well you must do whats best for you .................only joking :D

Personally I'd take the twins , you are sure to get the variation and then you could take on someone else for the other two days as well.

helenlc
05-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I would go with the twins - as someone else said you could then have the other days off or get others in on those days.

michellethegooner
05-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I too would probably go with the twins, your more than likely get the variation and at that age they are so much easier to settle, also their routines would also be similiar and dropping and collections etc would be same for both.

but you have to do what is best for you

berkschick
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
It is mad this side of town too, have had 3 enquiries this week!

What vacancies do you have? Would you be able to fill the days around the twins with another child?

I personally would take on the twins. I got a variation no problem for twins one day a week last year and that was for 4 under 5, not 2 under 1 so you will be fine! They will alway have a playmate at yours too.

sammykins
05-02-2009, 10:05 PM
i took on a 6 month old clingy winger and he still winges hes 12 months old now!! honestly dont do it.

The twins sound fun and they are at the right age as someone else said they dont know anything - you could find yourself housebound though around feeding, changing etc, but its only for 2 days, i would go for the twins for sure.

Schnakes
05-02-2009, 10:09 PM
In answer to your questions or comments...

MR S is right

Funny...you never see Lou and Mr S in the same room together...are they one and the same?? :laughing: :jump for joy: Just joking!! :)

I know, I know...I just dont know WHAT is right!

why didnt you see the other families?

Cos of the snow - I live right at the top of a very steep hill and its so slippery out there if people dont need to come here I dont think they should. Im being serious - Ive been stuck indoors these last couple of days cos I dont want to take the kids out - its lethal. It took me literally 20 minutes the other day to get from the top of the hill to my house - a distance of 20 feet max, with the buggy. And that was with assistance from some kindly passers by!!! Both mums said that they were thinking of cancelling so Im glad I got in there first!

ou could take on someone else for the other two days as well.

If I take on the twins I wouldnt bother filling up the other days. They would be tricky to fill and I'd rather have the break!!!

It is mad this side of town too

I cant believe how crazy its gone. Glad you are busy! Im getting on average 3 calls a week too.

What vacancies do you have?
Well, this is the tricky bit! I actually only have one vacancy so would be saking for 4 under 5s AND 2 under 1s!! Ofsted must get that with twins though!

You guys seem pretty unanimous, anyway!!
Sx

berkschick
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
So if you took on the twins, what would you have then vacancy wise?

All mine are part timers, they seem to be the thing round here! I have a Tues & Weds Mindee, Mon, Weds & Thurs Mindee, a Tues, weds and Thurs Mindee and a Monday, Thurs, Fri Mindee so everyone wants odd days!

Im sure you could fill the other days if you ever needed to financially which is a nice fall back to have.

Schnakes
05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, I have one full timer, so the twins would take up two days, Im full on Fridays + variation for another, so would only have 2 days I would have a space.

The OTHER thing is that the mum who is leaving (but not really cos her son is staying on Fridays) is having another baby. So she is coming back and so is the new baby. But she hasnt asked me to reserve her a space. But Im thinking maybe I should hold it....ARRGH! I just dont know! I wish I had a crystal ball. If I knew for a fact that O was coming back then I wouldnt even advertise the vacancy. Id also have to get a variation for the new baby. IF they come back! But why send the child on Fridays if you dont intend to come back?

All these thoughts spinning round and round my head. I cant sleep cos of it you know!!

Sx

Buzz Lightyear
05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
You may well have made your mind up but I would go with the majority vote and say the twins also. It's less days and probably more money than the single child. Plus siblings together are 'probably' less hassle than a clingy only child.

But as you're hubby rightfully says.... no I wont say it :thumbsup: Good luck, hopefully this is an end to your drought!

mum22
06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Just a thought re twins, although it would be nice to have a few days off after looking after them, if they leave thats it all your income gone..

berkschick
06-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Just a thought re twins, although it would be nice to have a few days off after looking after them, if they leave thats it all your income gone..

I see what you are saying but the other child was for 4 days so if he left then its the same amount of money to loose as the twins!

I would still go with the twins and advertise the other 2 days if/when you want to fill them.

I think you need to talk to your pregnant Mummy, you cant hold 2 spaces for nothing :panic:

rickysmiths
06-02-2009, 11:06 AM
why didnt you see the other families? they may have been better for you?

I would say the same see all and then decide.

Schnakes
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Little update - have spoken to my pregnant mum...she wants to leave O one day a week, then when the baby is 6 months old start her part time and then in January 2010!! they both come to me full time again.

This whole thing is giving me such a headache!! In a way, Id rather not fill the space..it would be quite nice to just have one minded child. But then if she leaves Id be up the financial creek without a paddle...

I should be happy, really! Last summer I would have done anything to be in this position, I was so skint!! Im so ungrateful. :(

Sx

berkschick
07-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I have a Mum expecting in May. She will want both kids here in 2010 4 days a week.

I have told her I can not afford to loose I in the meantime but she wants I to stay i full time childcare the whole time she is o materity leave (!) poor I she is so sweet and easy going. Anyway, I am hoping I will get a variation come January to take on the baby too as I have no room at the mo!

If you can afford to save the space then thats ok.

Otherwise I would take on whoever would fit in best come January. I am sure you would get a variation for sibling care but if you had the twins and a baby, would you then need a triple buggy and stuff?

huggableshelly
08-02-2009, 08:06 AM
space holding for an unborn child ... my experience

I had 2 boys and mum was expecting a 3rd. She took 3 months off from me no retainer paid but a verbal agreement that I would take the boys bk and the baby too.

Before me she had another minder who only cared for under 5's, once they were in school she stopped minding for them which is how they boys came into my home. Anyway I kept 3 spaces open and found out through gossip that she was planning to take the baby to her old minder and I would still have the boys ... which wasnt really a problem but I had banked on gaining a fulltimer.

So when I gained a call asking for 2 fulltime places i jumped at the chance and took both f/t's on leaving me only one place left which was no use to this returning parent.

Lesson learnt next time charge a retainer for saved places and do not put frienship before buisness.

oh yeah... take the twins they have a playmate and you get 2 days to recover if you have a not so good day with them.

peanuts
08-02-2009, 08:34 AM
do what is best for you. have you still got the others phone numbers that you cancelled. phone them back up and explain that the situation has chaged and you are now available, they may have already got alternitaive care.

karen

flora
08-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh Schnakes what a pickle :D

Bit like buses, none for ages and then all at once.

If you like the twins go with them?

From all the posts I have read on clingy and screaming babies I don't think I would go with that one.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. I hope it all comes good for you. :thumbsup: