PDA

View Full Version : Providing evening meals

tigger
05-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I am going to be providing evening meals for two children soon. Is it better to make it while the children are with me so that it is fresh or is it better to prepare in advance and just reheat? What is the best thing to do? I want the children to enjoy fresh tasting food rather than reheated food but it is the time I would spend in the kitchen that concerns me. If there are any of you out there providing evening meals any advice on what you would do would be great. Thanks

michellethegooner
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I dont provide evening meals for any of my mindees but have evening meal ready for my own lot I use a slow cooker most days just bung in whatever in the morning ready for evening, or i do things like pasta & cheese with veg in simple foods that are tasty,

RedDragon
05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I make food as fast as I can while checking on the children every few minutes (cross between Fanny Craddock and a headless chicken). Basic stuff - noodles with vegetarian sausage that can be cooked in minutes, beans on toast, sandwich if they have hot dinners, soup and a roll. I don't charge for the food as it's very basic.

I do find it a bit of a strain though - don't quite know how I got myself into making food for up to 8 children when most of them are home by 4:30pm (we don't get home until 3:30pm) but there you go.

sarah707
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
There were 11 of us for tea tonight.

We make easy cook meals that don't take long but are fresh where possible and the children help in a rota.

Tonight we made our own meatballs and had pasta and a home made tomato (and vegetable but they didn't know about those) sauce.

I am a bit like RedDragon though... in and out of the kitchen like a yoyo :rolleyes:

mushpea
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
yep i too am like red dragon most nights, in and out like a headless chicken, but i also provide a simple activity at the table like playdough or drawing etc that they can do themselves (with supervision) whilst i cook dinner.
I have a slow cooker which is the best thing ever cause you just shove all the stuff in in the morning then serve at night! they had sausage casserole tonight . last night it was lasagne, i had made the bolognase sauce in the slowcooker the day before then makde the lasagne with the cold mixture that afternoon then cooked it that evening.
spag bol
sausages with either veg or beans and potatos
fishfingers as above
roast chicken (simple as potatos and veg can be prepared through the day)
make your own pizza --easy cause they do all the work:D
stews and currys in slow cooker
toad in the hole
fish pie -- again can be prepared
home made nuggets
jacket spud with beans and cheese
pasta bake and garlic bread, its the stuff in the jar but insted of putting it in the oven i just boil the pasta, drain, add sauce, warm through and its ready.

brain zonked now!! i also have to think of quick things because my children do after school clubs so some nights we are in and out of the house aswell.
I also don't charge for the food as youi can claim more back by putting it through your books.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I sometimes make extra the night before for the mindees the next day - this backfired on me last night when I did a roast and then nobody came today because of the snow.

I also use the slow cooker a lot.

Pipsqueak
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
All hail the Slow Cooker - absolute godsend:cheerleader:

I am lucky that the children can play in the adjacent room while I prep dinner and I can still hear and see them and I can block of the rest of the house.
The kids often take it in turns helping me cook while another sets the table and all that jazz

mushpea
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
thought i'd mention this, if found out last night that you need to be registered with the council if you are providing any sort of food for the mindees even if it is only a snack!
the lady at the council was lovley and said that i basicly have to fill out a form and they will decide wether to come out and see me. if i provide just snacks then they probably woudn't but if i provide hot meals then they most likley would come out to me.
kinda wondering wether it worth doing hot meals now!

wellybelly
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Yep headless chicken / yoyo / call it what u want!

This morning I made a cottage pie to the point where it needs putting in the oven. Its in the fridge at the mo and during the school run it will be warming up in the oven. I would prefer fresh but I cant take time away from the children. Slow cooker is a life saver. Just a maytter of dishing it up.