PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted are Driving me Mad

Michelle M
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
AARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ofsted are driving me mad, I currently have a variation for 3 under 3 year olds, as I have a 23 month old myself.

I sent a letter with the relevant forms for registering my next door neighbour to be my assistant, I sent everything in December Special Delivery. Within my letter I wanted to know how many children I could have within the early years as I assumed I would be able to have more children otherwise what’s the point of having an assistant.

The guy at Ofsted told me I was fine to work with Karen but she cannot ben left with the children as her CRB hasn’t come back, which I know will be fine BTW as she works in a School at the moment and already has one. I said hang on a minute I cant leave her with them until she has her First Aid Certificate oh yes he say you are right!!!

Ok anyway CRB forms etc have been sent to Karen blah blah so I know they have my letter, now they are saying they have no record arrgggghhhhh I have a parent coming tomorrow for caring for her 6 month old, and at the moment my certificate shows I cant have any more children within the early years, and the give at Ofsted one minute says I will be allowed more children within early years but then on the other hand says I wont be able to.

I don’t know if I am on my head or bum at the moment, basically what I am asking is, all you lovely ladies who have assistants are you allowed more children within the early years.

rickysmiths
05-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not only extra over eights.

SimplyLucy
05-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm allowed extra early years with my assistant. I can have 4 children in the early years group, 2 of which can be under 1's.

My assistant doesn't have first aid. Didn't know she needed it, I've had an inspection since regitsering her and the inspector never metioned it. My assistant NEVER gets left in sole charge.

Michelle M
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that, my assistant wont be left in sole charge, until she has her First Aid Cetificate, and it will only be on the odd occassion if all the children are having a nap and I need to nip to do the School, run.

loocyloo
05-02-2009, 04:55 PM
join the club!

my assistant is allowed 1 under 5, as she has 2 under 5's of her own, who would be present, i have 1 under 5 of my own, and am allowed 2 extra...

so in total, we can have 6 under 5's ( but 3 belong to 'us' ) !!!

i had all my variations/approval of assistant etc done last week ....
YESTERDAY the inspector who did my inspection rang and said i;d like to discuss your variations with you ... do you have enough space? it says on page 35 of standards that you must have 2.5 square metres per child ..etc etc ... i said yes, i did, and i had all the equipment i could need, plus space for 10 children around my table, etc ... and she was saying she would need to come and visit me to check, before she could grant the variation.

so i said 'oh, but its been granted, i've got the letter here and quoted it to her, and said and i've posted the acceptance letter a couple of days ago'

so she said, ok, don't worry about it, if its been granted i won't query it, i was asked to look at it, that is all!!! ( about 3 weeks ago, as i was told it was given to her then!!!! but since then, another inspector rang, talked me through my numbers etc (never mentioned assistant needing first aid, just written permission to care for under 5's, and that was it !!!LOL )

hope you get your issues solved soon!

xxx

sarah707
05-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I suggest you email them. Then you will get a reply in writing.

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
You don't have to have a named assistant to change your numbers. Go back to Ofsted and ask what you could have if you have an assitant and how you go about getting it.

Once you have it on your certificate you can work with extra numbers BUT you wouldn't be able to unless the assistant is approved by Ofsted - i.e. CRB is through and you have the Public Liability insurance (this is invalid if you don't have a letter from Ofsted saying that... is approved to work with under 8's)

As far as leaving them in sole charge, you need the assistant to be ofsted approved, paedatric first aid training and permission from parents in writing.

Hope that isn't double dutch.