PDA

View Full Version : CRB Query - any ideas

Heaven Scent
05-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I went for an interview yesterday for P/T temporary work in nurseries while I'm going through this lul, any way I gave them my CRB that I got a year and a half ago and the woman said it was out of date as far as she was concerned and I would need to pay £50.00 for a new one as they ask for them to be updated every year.

The £50.00 fee is out of their hands as they have to use an agency as agencies have lost their counter signatory status but she suggested that I should contact Ofsted and ask them if they can do another one for me - I cant see them doing this to be honest - well not for free anyway does anyone have any ideas of how I can get a CRB done cheaper - is there any voluntary work I could sign up for or anything else I could do where I could get a cheaper CRB.

I have a cash flow problem at the moment so the cheaper I can do this the better.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Try the local Children's Information Centre as they do them and I am sure they are cheaper.

If the nursery is registered with Ofsted I cannot see why they cannot put you through and it would be free!

As you were already checked by Ofsted you could still get a letter from them saying that you are acceptable to work with Under 8's.

Heaven Scent
05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your reply Debbie because its for temping through an agency it would mean working at a variety of nurseries and I would not be employed by the nursery but by the agency - I will give CIS and Ofsted a call in a while.

rickysmiths
05-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I've never heard that a Crb has to be renewed every year. If the nursery is registered with Osted I can see why they would need to do it any more often. If it is the nursery policy to do it more often then they should pay for it.

As yor CRB has been done through Ofsted that should be ok as well. Do you have the nursery reg number? It might be worth ringing Ofsted and your local Early Years people.

I doubt if Otsted would require every year on nursery staff they dont on cms.

mandy moo
05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Some one told me it was renewed every 3 years,
but then when I had my pre reg inspection and my grading inspection, they used the one I had from when working in school as a L.S.A?
That one will be 3yrs old in March
I never received a new one from Ofsted for Childminding either, although I mentioned not receiving a new one, to the inspectors..

maple
05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I was under the impression that you need a new CRB for every different job even if all your jobs are all in the childcare sector you would still need a different one.

Tatia
05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
CRBs are not portable and you do need a new one for each new place of employment but if working for an agency they won't expect you to get a new one for each agency placement (which could be several a month) but could have a strict once a year update policy to protect themselves and their clients.

If the nursery is registered with Ofsted I cannot see why they cannot put you through and it would be free!

OFSTED only pays for managers and committee CRBs. Any other nursery staff has to be paid for by the nursery/pre-school. I agree if they take on a paid staff member, then the nursery should pay for it but as they are going through an agency, they would expect the CRB to be in place already.