PDA

View Full Version : Right i need an answer to this.....

Hebs
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
question

as childmiders can we take the kids to the cinema to see PG movies?

I'm wanting to take my new mindees to the cinema as a treat at half term, but the movie has a PG rating, as they are only 4 and 7 years old i wasn't sure as i know the schools can't allow children under 8 to watch PG movies

HELP

FizzysFriends
04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I would have thought it would be ok, why not get a permission form though as its a specific outing?

miffy
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't do it without signed written permission from the parents.

I'm not sure that a PG rating would be suitable for a 4 year old anyway.

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
What film is it?

I would get a permission form signed by parent to say they agree to it

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
PG is parental guidance - so explain about the film, explore what exactly it is that suggests parental guidance so you can tell mum/dad and detail it in the permission slip

what a lovely treat for them - enjoy

ps don't forget your risk assessment

pps take a booster seat in for the 4yr old so that they can see properly

ppps - lol - I think you are really brave:D

Hebs
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
the movie i want to take them to see is BOLT

not sure why it's a PG???

here is the synposis

The amazing adventures of a brave little dog who really believes he has super-powers!

Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) is a four-legged action hero and the star of his very own hit TV show. Raised on the set, Bolt believes everything that happens in the show is real and that he actually has been genetically engineered to have astounding powers (including incredible strength, laser vision, and an earth-shaking super-bark). But when Bolt is accidentally shipped from his Hollywood sound stage to New York City, he begins his biggest adventure yet - a cross-country journey through the real world to get back to Penny (voiced by Miley Cyrus), his beloved owner and co-star. With the help of two unlikely companions - a jaded, abandoned housecat named Mittens (voiced by Susie Essman) and a TV-obsessed hamster named Rhino (voiced by Mark Walton) - Bolt eventually discovers that he doesn't need superpowers to be a hero.

miffy
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Oops - I was thinking that looked good and might take my 4 year old mindee - hadn't realised it was a PG :rolleyes:

Don't understand why, thought it was aimed at a younger audience!

Miffy xx

Hebs
04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
sorry Miffy :blush:

still can't work out why it's a PG

miffy
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Me neither!

Miffy xx

Hebs
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
ah well if not then the secret of moonacre it will be it's a U :clapping:

miffy
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
ah well if not then the secret of moonacre it will be it's a U :clapping:

I thought that looked a bit scary for my 4 year old :laughing:

Miffy xx

Hebs
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought that looked a bit scary for my 4 year old :laughing:

Miffy xx

me too but hey BOLT is WAY scarier :laughing:

jacky
05-02-2009, 08:52 AM
i will be taking my four year old to see this and i am sure that as long as you have signed permission from parents it will be fine.
enjoy the film

what are other people during half term

FizzysFriends
05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Its in 3d isn't it?

breezy
05-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I would get signed permission from parent and go and enjoy :)

FizzysFriends
05-02-2009, 09:00 AM
This is the parents guide to it so you can decide if its suitable

Sex & Nudity
None

Violence & Gore
After jumping out of a moving truck travelling fast on the highway, Bolt notices that "red liquid" is coming out of his paw, and Mittens informs him that it's blood. However, you don't see the "red liquid".

Profanity
None

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
None

Frightening/Intense Scenes
SPOILER: Towards the end of the movie, Penny gets stuck in a burning (indoor) movie studio; there is lots of smoke and fire, Bolt finds her and they are lie together for a couple of minutes surrounded by smoke. My child thought they were dead and started crying! The next scene shows them both being taken in the ambulance and the EMT saying that they are okay. HOWEVER, although Penny is evidently okay, Bolt still appears "dead" for several more minutes and just lies on Penny's chest.

nannysue
05-02-2009, 09:02 AM
As long as the parents are happy for their child to see the film, go for it:) what a lovely treat.

Hebs
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
:thumbsup: will see what mum says and get a written permission form signed

would you state it's for this movie, or just PG movies in general?

kindredspirits
05-02-2009, 01:34 PM
i'd do it per film - that way parents can do their own investiagtions, some PG's are worse than others!
have fun!
anna x

Spangles
05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
My son is 4 in April and I wouldn't let him watch a PG, our cinema says PG is suitable for over 8's with parental guidance or something so I think he's way too young. That's just my opinion though.

jellytot
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
sometimes it can get a pg ratin if it has a few sad moments in it. as long as parents are happy i dont see a prob. kids are too sheltered now a days anyhow.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I think the parents need to be the judge of this one.

My 4 year old boys would love it if I took them but the girls are more likely to get upset (as with Bambi) when they think someone has died

Personally, I would look at the type of child I was taking.

jellytot
05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I think the parents need to be the judge of this one.

My 4 year old boys would love it if I took them but the girls are more likely to get upset (as with Bambi) when they think someone has died

Personally, I would look at the type of child I was taking.

this is a very valid point as some children can get upset on a subject when others wouldnt even bat an eyelid at it.

i personally would let the parents decide as they know their child best

Hebs
05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
obviously it's the parents decision but my question was "can we as childminders take children under 8 years old to see PG rated movie" cos i know the school can't regardless of wether parents agree.

Hebs
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Ofsted says....

We must do a full investigation as to why it's been given a PG classification, and give this to parents along with the date and time of the show. we need to do risk assessments (which we knew anyway) and gain permission for each movie, not just a blanket permission form,

:thumbsup:

miffy
05-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Ofsted says....

We must do a full investigation as to why it's been given a PG classification, and give this to parents along with the date and time of the show. we need to do risk assessments (which we knew anyway) and gain permission for each movie, not just a blanket permission form,

:thumbsup:

Thanks for that Heather :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Tatia
05-02-2009, 04:20 PM
still can't work out why it's a PG

Shrek is PG as well and it's aimed at younger audiences. I'm sure it's (Bolt) probably filled with adult innuendo, like all so-called children's movies these days.

My dd wants to see Moonacre but we felt that one looked more adult so had thought we'd go see Bolt. I never even thought about the rating, just assumed it would be a U. I'm such a bad parent!:laughing:

Hebs
05-02-2009, 04:33 PM
i think the ratings are all messed up TBH

The Secret of Moonacre i'd say is more for older kids so i think it should be a PG
Shrek seems harmless to me so i'd have given it a U
Bolt seems ok and is a PG but then again so was Jurrassic Park :eek: which to me should be a 12A :laughing:

mum2two
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
We had preview tickets to see this at the weekend. It's a really good film & both my 6 year old & 3 year old loved it!! :thumbsup:

xx

flora
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Hope you have fun Heather...

you too miffy :thumbsup: