PDA

View Full Version : Coal Fire

WibbleWobble
04-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi there, we have an open coal fire with spark guard and will be getting a fire guard that will surround the whole fire and hearth. My kids are now grown up and have lived with this arrangement all of their lives with no problems. Obviously i can have it unlit(still have the guards though) but this is a big old house and the front room does get chilly even with central heating. does any one else have a fire and do they use it....or is it a complete no no!!!! teach me folks....as i have said kids are grown up and i am a bit rusty.

thanks....

love mandy xxxxxx

Mummits
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
We have a stove which burns wood or coal. The whole fireplace is surrounded by a fireguard - actually a Babydan playpen/room divider thing - which is fixed to the floor. The Ofsted inspector seemed quite happy with this arrangement.

louloudi
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Same here had one in my last house where I first registered. I thought it may be an issue but ofsted weren't fazed..

Winnie
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't see a problem with a coal fire, you have thought about the risk (write it down as a risk assessment) & said you use a sparkguard & a child proof fireguard- it should be fine :)

WibbleWobble
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much!!! this has cheered me up!

mandy x

netty
05-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I have an opn fire in the dinning room which i have lit i use a sparkguard and a fireguard round the hearth and fire. i have never had any problems with this .
Netty:) :