PDA

View Full Version : Male Childminder

bramley
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi All

Seriously considering becoming a childminder but notice from all the advice on the website and forums here that there is a distinct lack of male input.

Could any of you lovely ladies provide good advice on starting a career in childminding and what do you think parents would think of a male childminder.

Yes I'm a bloke with 3 kids of my own.

Thak you.

angeldelight
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum

Oh you being a male wont bother us lot so you will find plenty of friends here and some of them could even drink you under the table or whatever men think they can do better haha :laughing: :laughing:

We do have a few male members they just dont seem to get on very much

I cant see their being a problem with you being a minder whats your sex got to do with it ?

Lots of advice in the forum about starting up etc so have a look around

Hope to speak soon

Angel xx

Pauline
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
We do have quite a few members who are male!

John is usually off fishing though :laughing: I will see if I can tempt him away to reply!

All the advice really suits all minders whether male or female and Ofsted shouldn't discriminate against you - in fact there is a big push to get more men into childcare.

Good luck and just ask if you need help or advice. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi! and welcome to the forum.

There is one male childminder in our town, there are 30 females!

I have met several male minders and they all throughly enjoy their work. Very good for parents of boys to have the choice. Especially single mums. There are other male cms on the forum so hopefully they will come and say hello.:clapping:

Joannechildmind
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
hi Bramley

Welcome to the group, the group is very welcoming to all, Any questions fire away everyone is lovely here. :)

Jo

Twinkles
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. My dh is seriously considering joining me and becoming a minder too. Good luck with it all , let us know how you get on.

Carol
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Welcome............... Of course males can be childminders its hard work but rewarding and I cant see any problems

Dont forget you have many friends here who can help you along the way.

Good Luck

Carol xx

LOOPYLISA
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome :thumbsup:

pinklady
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Welome to the board:thumbsup:

Esther xx

RedDragon
04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Welcome :clapping:

Daftbat
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Good for you - we need more men to join the profession. My hubby was registered at one time when we were working a lot at weekends and he didn't come across any problems with parents.

Men can do the job just as well as women and are a good role model for boys.

Good luck :clapping: :clapping:

Hebs
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

As a single mum i would have jumped at the chance to have a male CM for my son so he could have had a good male role model (dad is a waster)

miss muffit
04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

mum22
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Welcome, I know a few male childminders and it is such a good selling point for them, they get loads of business!

John
04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi All

Seriously considering becoming a childminder but notice from all the advice on the website and forums here that there is a distinct lack of male input.

Could any of you lovely ladies provide good advice on starting a career in childminding and what do you think parents would think of a male childminder.

Yes I'm a bloke with 3 kids of my own.

Thak you.

First thing i would like to welcome you to the forum and find use a friend lot as Pauline said i'm not here much spending my time baiting and fishing when not working. I have just been childminder now just over 2 years and it as its ups and down like anyone else here. I found that being a male childminder is hard work getting the parents to trust you with their child, and it seems that you are not in the right job. I know in my town we have to many childminders for the amount of parents in work. Afew parents as said to me face to face that i won't take on a male childminder but thats up to the parent.

I'm always thinking why i'm not getting the younger children, is it because parents don't think a male can look after younger children. I know most of the childminders in my town barrow and all have a child under the age of 3. my youngest is 6 and oldest is 10. The parents i do work for always saying what a good minder i am and always tell eople about me. So i must be doing somthing right lol.

You always here storys on TV and papers about child perverts and you always thinking as this put parents off getting a male carer. But you plod along and do your best with the children and parents you have and hopefully word will get around saying your a good childminder.

I have had younger children but from family and friend, and i don't seem to get a lot of phone calls but i think thats down to, to many child care places in my town and not alot of work around and now a lot of them are free places, so what will a parent do pay you or get a free place.

I'm not saying don't do this job because of my input, but have a back up plann to go back to another job and if you want to be rich lol that won't happen as it most be the lowest payed job in the country. You only want to be a childminder if you like working with children. I've been working with children in a setting now for 10 years, starting in a pre-school, nursery and being a respite child carer. I do enjoy the work but it's not easy as it looks even when you don't have any children i'm always planning and doing reports etc. My mates think i just have the kids and play with them lol i wish.

If you realy want to go ahead go for it and hope you do well but do concider what i said. As being a childminder is hard work but very rewarding. what makes me still want to do my job is the children i have now and somtime the little monsters will play me up but most of the time are little angels.

Let me know how you get on and hope you all the best. hope my massage as not put you off with some home Truths from myside but maybe not your if and when you decide to become a childminder. If you want to chat or talk your welcome to pm me or send me an email.

John.

Pipsqueak
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum, as you can see there a few blokes around the forum and you are all welcomed with open arms. Well done you for investigating childminding as a profession - as has been stated on here already, the childcare world needs more male carers - particuarly in the early years. Where I live there are two male minders (one works with his wife) and its is such a massive and unique selling point. From talking to them, yes they have encountered distrust and predjudice but they have come through the other side, are proud to be minders (both say its the hardest work they have ever done! lol the guy who works with his wife was a brickie and plasterer in his previous life) and are full and have wonderful settings. John - hang on in there - you will get thoses littlies!

chewy sweets
07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Good on you!!! There's nothing better to prepare you for working with children than having your own! Sure you'd be great !
Katieskatie:thumbsup:

mummyof3
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!! :clapping:

Shar
08-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Good luck and best wishes whatever you decide to do. If you are already a stay at home dad you have nothing to lose, go for it!! Like Pauline already said, LA's and Ofsted are very keen to register male childcarers.:thumbsup:

peanuts
08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
good luck and best wishes on whatever you decide to do.
karen

wendywu
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I think people are happy to accept men who work with their wives. But would not place babies or toddlers with a male minder working on their own, and John has backed my feelings up.

You would get after schoolers in the older age group. In some cases in this age group you could promote being male as an advantage. If this money would be enough to live on then that is fine.

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained:thumbsup:

cheeky monkeys
08-02-2009, 04:53 PM
wow what a thread.
I think John has some things for you to consider. All the male CM's I know all work with their wives, and there are quite a few male CM's.

I really do wish you all the luck. If you need any advice you've come to the right place.

bramley
16-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all your words of wisdom. I finally have my 1st Briefing Session tomorrow. Will let you all know how it went.

Thank you.

pinklady
16-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Great! Look forward to hearing all about it!:thumbsup:

huggableshelly
17-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Good Luck with your new venture, I say go for it as someone else has stated male childminders would be a great assett to single mums who are looking for male imput into their childs life.

Take the knockbacks if any as a pinch of salt, after schoolies are easier anyway. Here it seems I always gaine the after schoolies and another cm I work with female again gaines the younger children. once her children reach school age I seem to take her yay lol, no idea really why it works that way for both of us as we work close together as cm;s and have pretty much the same ideas and paperwork.

After schoolies allows me to enjoy school breaks with my own kiddies too, somethinge else for you to consider, do you want term time after schoolies only to gain the benefit of having time for just your children in the summer or can you juggle summer mindess too.

anyway good luck and enjoy the forum, i'm sure some more men will come out to post if they see other men being active.

Bitsy Beans
18-03-2009, 08:48 AM
My support CM (who I must say I've not met properly yet) is male and apparantly highly regarded and in demand (according to one of the women in CIS). He does have pre school aged children as I met him briefly at the local CM toddler group.
It's a shame that this subtle prejudice exists regarding younger children and babies - it would be great to have more single male childminders :clapping:

angeldelight
23-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all your words of wisdom. I finally have my 1st Briefing Session tomorrow. Will let you all know how it went.

Thank you.

How did it go ?

Angel xx

Lady Haha
23-03-2009, 07:13 PM

As a single mum i would have jumped at the chance to have a male CM for my son so he could have had a good male role model (dad is a waster)

I was gonna say exactly the same thing (right down to the dad is a waster bit!)

Mrs M
24-03-2009, 04:02 PM
How did your briefing session go? The few male childminders I've met have been really lovely and enjoyed their jobs. One of them was working alone and not with his wife.

Willowdancer
25-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Hope your first session went well. My DH is starting the course at the end of next month :)

bramley
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Hello All

I've been a little busy recently but would like to thank everyone who said Hi and encourgaed my last post. I have been on the forum a few times since mostly for advice and direction but have not got round to making further posts.

Just to say I did decide to become a childminder, my Ofsted registeration and CRB check went much better than I beleived they would and starting this Friday I will have my first 2 mindees, ages 2 and 3.

Thank you everyone who has given advice or whose posts I have read and advice followed.

I will try to contribute more in the future if given the time.

PixiePetal
10-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Good luck with the new venture bramley :thumbsup:

We have another male minder on the forum now, you may have come across him reading recent posts - daddy day care.

Twinkles
10-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Congratulations ! I hope you enjoy your new career :clapping:

Polly2
10-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Hi Bramley

Good to hear you decided to go for it! Hope it goes well with your first mindees :clapping:

Monkey1
10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Congratulations Bramley!:thumbsup: Good luck.

Tam's Tribe
10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Bramley

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is great and so helpful . . . been essential to me as a newbie.

Firstly I would like to say that I would have jumped at the chance for a male childminder for my son, when I was working full time.

Also friends of mine (hubby and wife team) have just registered as childminders and have advertised separately and we are surprised that she has received all the enquiry calls and he has had none. He is fantastic with children and my 4 year old thinks he is great, but I think some people have small minds.

I have recommended that they advertise as a team under their 'trading as' Childminding Name and not as their individual names. Then when prospective parents call and visit he has an opportunity to impress the parents coz at the moment he isnt getting any calls. Just a thought for when you are deciding on a name for your childminding service, if you decide to go ahead.

Good Luck!

Lovies
Tam
x

TheBTeam
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I think it is fantastic if a man wants to become a childminder, my husbands job finished 3 years ago and he joined me working (an assistant for 18 months and then registered in his own right 18months ago). We have found parents very supportive of a male childminder, some of them parents of girls under one, who say that there child likes men best!

It is a great role model for some children who have no male parental input and even men working on their own will often go to group meetings where the predominance is still women, i would suggest that you make contact with your childminding group and hopefully they will give you a warm welcome.

Good luck it is a useful and rewarding career choice for men and women.

Alibali
10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
That's great news well done, look forward to chatting!

mandy moo
10-09-2009, 01:39 PM
As the saying goes 'Now the fun begins' :D

ORKSIE
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I seem to have missed this thread.
So welcome aboard!
We are a friendly bunch:thumbsup:

balijay
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi bramley! Believe your mindees start today - hope you are all having a lovely day. :D