PDA

View Full Version : Meal ideas

Daftbat
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone, not sure if this in right place but does anyone else have problems getting good food down mindees? I plan a menu for the week which tries to take in to account their favourites as well as healthy eating and, dare i say it, vegetables and potatoes which are not chips!

I think i am a reasonable cook but tonight i did dausage and mash with mixed vegetables and the amount of food i am throwing away is awful - mainly the veg and potatoes.

Last week i got them all to do an activity around healthy eating which included writing down their own menu for the week and no big improvement there either. one new item - Korma curry which i have included this week but here is a selection of foods i do regularly cook

Shepherds Pie
Sausage & Mash
The "required" Chicken nuggets & chips
Pasta with chicken breast and an optional tomato based sauce
bacon & eggs etc - which goes down a storm actually
Fishfingers & chips
pizza

Any ideas gratefully received.

miffy
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
It can be a nightmare can't it? Some children are incredibly fussy.

I've tried getting the older ones to choose a meal and then I've cooked it and we've all tried it - had some success but doesn't always work.

I do try and make sure there's one vegetable on their plates that they like (this is sometimes difficult) and then see if they will try another one

Miffy xx

Hebs
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
apparently you have to serve up a new food like a bazillion times before they try it

luckily my 2 love veg........... but not fruit

those meals sound fine to me

Andrea08
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
i have same troubles how about;-

meatballs with pasta
hot pot
spaghetti blognese
pizza pies
macaroni cheese
sausage and yorkshire puds
cornish pasties
jacket spuds with different fillings
hot dogs
loads of different egg dinners
cheese on toast with fresh tomatoes and side salad etc

mash faces,,use the veg etc to make face get older children to help

just a few ideas im sure there are load of good ideas but children can be funny eaters and i do end up putting more food in the dog bowl these days?

PixiePetal
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
apparently you have to serve up a new food like a bazillion times before they try it

luckily my 2 love veg........... but not fruit

those meals sound fine to me

mine eat enough fruit to feed an army but not much veg - carrots and broccoli with a few peas for DD. Give other stuff in small quantities( they are 14 and 12- not babies!) :laughing:
Don't even like potatoes, or chips. but have to have some if thats what is on offer. Prefer pasta.