PDA

View Full Version : New + Not A Clue

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
:waving: Hello Everyone,
:confused: I would to set up my own childminding business, i have wanted to do this from leaving school but never had the guts to start my own business, now i am settled with my own family it seems the right time to go for it, but to be honest, i dont have a clue how to go about it or what i need to do. :doh:

So far i hav worked out i need the 'CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Home-based Childcare (DHC)' + to pre reg with ofstead. Can anyone fill me in on what else i would need to do + approximate costs please. I have trailed the internet but cant really find anything that useful. :rolleyes:

Thankyou In Advance, Kelly :D

childmind04
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi Kelly, if you are in England you need to contact you local Families Information Service who will help you get on their Introduction course, you will also need you first and for babies and children but they may be able to help you with that also

http://www.*************.gov.uk/

This website should be able to help you get the number and you can also start looking at whats in you local area already :)

Good luck
Susan

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Thankyou, Thats Very Helpful :thumbsup:

Bananabrain
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Kelly,If you want to be an excellent childminder,you've come to the right place.The guys on here have been sooooo helpful to me,and they are really knowledgable.

Be warned tho' childminding is not as easy as it looks!!!!!

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Yer, I Can Imagin.lol...Not Wanting To Jump Straight In At The Deep End, Just Start With One, Maybe Two Mindee's At First, See How I Cope.:)

Carol
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Yer, I Can Imagin.lol...Not Wanting To Jump Straight In At The Deep End, Just Start With One, Maybe Two Mindee's At First, See How I Cope.:)

Good Luck I have at the moment 10 on my books............... not all at the same time :laughing: :laughing:
As said before can be hard work and lonely (not much adult conversation) but joining a toddler group and this forum will keep you sane.

Carol xx

cheeky monkeys
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Kelly

As I've found from looking through some of the posts on here, it all depends on what area you are in as to how and what is available to you.

Now in my area you start off with ringing Children's information services (someone has already given your their website) and they will get you on the next available pre-reg meeting (in my area run by NCMA). After that you do the 12 hour DHC unit 1, 12 hour paediatric first aid, 2 hours of safeguarding children and 2 hour EYFS briefing session. (in my ares this is all run by NCMA And this is all free.)

The point that you send off things to Ofsted will be after completing the DHC unit 1, and if you haven't completed First aid and safeguarding before Ofsted come and see you it will be an action, but thats not a worry at this stage.

Hope that this helps you understand the registration process and where to start.

mandy moo
03-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Kelly

As I've found from looking through some of the posts on here, it all depends on what area you are in as to how and what is available to you.

Now in my area you start off with ringing Children's information services (someone has already given your their website) and they will get you on the next available pre-reg meeting (in my area run by NCMA). After that you do the 12 hour DHC unit 1, 12 hour paediatric first aid, 2 hours of safeguarding children and 2 hour EYFS briefing session. (in my ares this is all run by NCMA And this is all free.)

The point that you send off things to Ofsted will be after completing the DHC unit 1, and if you haven't completed First aid and safeguarding before Ofsted come and see you it will be an action, but thats not a worry at this stage.

Hope that this helps you understand the registration process and where to start.

Hi Kelly
Im in Herts too, and I got in touch with Young in Herts, who provided my training unit 1 in DHBC, 1st aid, and NCMC and 1st years public lib insurance, dont know if they still doing this, will see if I can find the website and post it.

Mandy

mandy moo
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Cant find it at the mo, know Ive got it somewhere, try this for now
www.younginherts.hertsdirect.org
or of course as been said before, childrens information service

jibberjitz
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I am in the process of going through all the training. Where we live (West Yorks) we go through Bradford Early Years team and they have set up all the (free:) ) training. So far done:-

Pre-reg info evening (2 hrs)
Welfare Requirements training (1 Day)
Business training (1 afternoon)
Paediatric 1st Aid (2 days)
DHC unit 1 (2days)

Still have a support evening to attend as well as the DHC exam on 5th March:panic:

I would contact you local Early Years and see what advice they can give.

Good luck and let us know,

Liz:)

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Good Luck I have at the moment 10 on my books............... not all at the same time :laughing: :laughing:
As said before can be hard work and lonely (not much adult conversation) but joining a toddler group and this forum will keep you sane.

Carol xx

my mum's cousin is a minder too, she has 9 atm n says its real hard, but tbh am looking forward to actually doing somethin that wil keep me on my toes :D

ChocolateChip
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
The other ladies have given you good advice, just wanted to say welcome and good luck! :)
You will find lots of help on here. :D

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
ive rung the info centre and there sending me some stuff out to read threw + if i stil want to go ahead, i have to go to an open day in spotborough. then again if i stil want to go ahead thats when i can start actually doing useful things to help me on my way...going to ring Early Years in the mornin, see what they can tell me. I live in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Any one from around my area??:)

KellyLeigh
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
:clapping: ThankYou EveryOne For Your Great Advice!!:clapping:

cheeky monkeys
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Kelly
Im in Herts too, and I got in touch with Young in Herts, who provided my training unit 1 in DHBC, 1st aid, and NCMC and 1st years public lib insurance, dont know if they still doing this, will see if I can find the website and post it.

Mandy

Things have changed in Herts. NCMA, public lib insurance and tool kit are now only available if you live in area that has no or few childminders. (dicussed at Pre-reg)

A bit of advice, if you haven't done NVQ I'd register ASAP, as funding ran out this year (2008/09). Don't know what funding will be available 2009/10, but gab it, as pretty certain that in herts NVQ is going to be compulsory from 2010.