PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting?

Stix
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
At what point does minding become babysitting? Can anyone clear this up for me as I can't find the info anywhere!

:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM
If you are childminding then you are not babysitting. However, you only have 1 child and it is less than 2 hours at a time this is babysitting

Stix
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks Debbie. I'm sure on my ICP course something was mentioned about after a certain time in the evening, it was babysitting. 7pm rings a bell but I can't for the life of me remember!

Stix
02-02-2009, 05:45 PM
This is what I was thinking of:

Does everyone who looks after children need to be on the register?
No. You do not need to register as a childminder if you:

are the parent or relative of the child you are looking after; or you
have parental responsibility for the child
are a local authority foster parent in relation to a child
are a foster parent with whom a child has been placed by a voluntary organisation
foster a child privately
only look after the child between the hours of 6pm and 2am

rickysmiths
02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I have never heard of a cut off time in the evening. If I have a minded child on my books thet is what they are. Two years ago I had a baby 2 hrs on a Fri pm 4-6pm she came to my house and I was her childminder. I have had children after school until 8.30pm. They are minded and charged accordingly.

If I go to someones home because they are going out for the pm and I am looking after, usually a sleeping child, I am babysitting. I don't have to be a registered childminder to babysit in someone elses home, I do have to be registered to look after children in my home.

Stix
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
It only applies if the child is only looked after after 6pm on domestic premises. I found it on the ofsted website. The exact wording is

"If you only provide care between 6pm and 2am on domestic premises (babysitting
arrangements). Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home."

The reason I ask is that a girl from my toddler group has been asked to look after her friend's lo from 6pm until 8/9pm. She was wondering if she would have to register for this as she would be getting paid. I could remember an exception but not the exact timings.

:)