PDA

View Full Version : How on earth......

peggy
30-01-2008, 01:53 PM
do you stop your home from resembling a nursery!!! I'm minding in a ground floor two bed massionette and i know ofsted would love me to have signs up saying "toliet" or "welcome" in thirteen different languages.......but i dont!

Its my home too and its our first "own" home and we are enjoying putting our stamp on it, My first ofsted inspection is in April will i get penalised for not having such things up and around??!

I do have a wall in my kitchen for pictures that my mindees and my own have done - but its kind of unintrusive but the kids know its there!!!

Spangles
30-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi!

I think Ofsted are quite keen on homes looking welcoming to children and their parents.

I've got a couple of bendy, felt flowers up the banister in the hallway and all my compulsory on show certs etc on the corner cupboard door in the hall and then I've got some toys in the lounge and at the moment I have chinese lanterns and posters hung up in there too - I like them though - they look very bright and cheery! In the kitchen I've got some of my son's colouring etc up on the fridge (mindees take theirs home) and I've got an alphabet poster and fruit poster on the dining room door and that's it really apart from all the blinking paperwork!

I know what you mean though - this isn't too bad for me at the moment because my son is only little but as he gets older, if I'm still minding, I won't want all this clutter about either!

crazybones
30-01-2008, 02:12 PM
I am lucky enough to have a garage attached to the side of the house, which we converted to a playroom with downstairs loo. Even with this everyhing encroaches into the other rooms, as the older ones have the playroom for their space so they can get lego out, playstation wires etc and the little ones have the living room but all my "stuff" (certificates etc) on show is in the hall and starting to look raggy and messy. I think once you have kids your home will always be like this and although husband raises his eyes I remind him "I could always get a job 9-5 and who would look after our kids then and he would have to pull his weight, he doesnt know how lucky he is etc" Ususally shuts him up and I get a cup of tea brought to me.

Gosh that almost turned into a rant.

Annie :eek:

peggy
30-01-2008, 02:17 PM
i dunno what my excuse is - my youngest is two!!! I have got a number line but i dont know where to put it!!! I dont want it on my sitting room wall!!!

All my minding takes place in my sitting room but coz we are open planned as well its not as though I can close anything off - I wish i had a room soley for minding then the lot could go up and i could close the door on it at the end of the day!

Dont get me wrong i love what i do (most of the time) but i dont want it to take over!!!!!!

crazybones
30-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I have just printed the Welcome poster in different languages and stood in the hall trying to work out where to put it. Then my 2 year old got hold of it and well lets just ay I am not printing another one off now and it solves the problem of where to put it.

Annie:laughing:

Blaze
30-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't really answer this as I live in a darecare centre ...well it feels like it anyway!
Tasha:)

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 02:39 PM
very funny tasha haha

xx

sarah707
30-01-2008, 02:53 PM
2 rooms of my house are given over to the business - and the rest belongs to me and my children... I gave up trying to contain it all years ago!! :rolleyes:

peggy
30-01-2008, 02:59 PM
sounds as though i'm fighting a losing battle here!!!!

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 03:01 PM
yes indeed it does peggy haha

i do not have posters splashed all over my house though no way only a small board with what i need

good luck ha

xxx

Banana
30-01-2008, 04:05 PM
My theme of the week is always displayed on the lounge wall - I am becoming fed up of it in the lounge though as we never escape from childminding! Toys are everywhere. Posters are all over the hallway - Sorry, this wasnt the answer you were looking for. Its personal choice but I guess I have just given in to the issue :rolleyes:

x

Mollymop
30-01-2008, 04:25 PM
It's funny as I am waiting pre reg and i already have a "how to wash your hands" and "wash your hands after...." posters above my sink in the cloakroom. My sister came round and said that my house is starting to look like a nursery! So I know what you all mean.

button68
30-01-2008, 06:04 PM
do you stop your home from resembling a nursery!!! I'm minding in a ground floor two bed massionette and i know ofsted would love me to have signs up saying "toliet" or "welcome" in thirteen different languages.......but i dont!

Its my home too and its our first "own" home and we are enjoying putting our stamp on it, My first ofsted inspection is in April will i get penalised for not having such things up and around??!

I do have a wall in my kitchen for pictures that my mindees and my own have done - but its kind of unintrusive but the kids know its there!!!

Resistance is futile!!!! :D

Twinkles
30-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Well at the moment my home looks less like a nursery and more like a war zone!! Mindees have just gone home and I'm catching my breath before I clear up ( or maybe just shove it all in the playroom and shut the door ).
I think I've said this on another thread somewhere, not only do I have a playroom full of stuff, the 'conservatory' ( lean to ) full of toys, understairs cupboard with spare buggies, car seats etc. Spare room with travel cot, whole kitchen cupboard just for plastic cups/plates and baby food.
I have a notice board in my hall with my certificate, daily/weekly planner and chart of who I've got and on what day.
I realise this didn't help much but you are not alone. I think it bugs my DH more than it bugs me. But when he moans I just volunteer to give up work and stay at home keeping the house tidy...that usually shuts him up.

buildingblocks
31-01-2008, 08:27 PM
If you are clever or know someone who can do it possibly double sided picture frames. i did see this done somewhere but no idea where. Basically the picture is say a notice board and at the weekend you turn it over and it is a nice picture. Me I just gave in lol

Tily Bud
31-01-2008, 08:47 PM
My hall way is totally covered with pictures, posters and my certificates. Ive a handwashing poster on the bathroom wall and in the dining room i have two large pinboards that have all my planners, pictires, reminders etc on so yes i suppose to some people it does resemble a nursery but well i suppose ive grown used to it now x

Tiisku
31-01-2008, 09:00 PM
where do you get handwashing posters from? I made a little hello-poster myself using four languages and stuck in on the hallway door so it faces the hallway for people to see when tehy come in, but won't bother us inside !:D ON the other side of the door which faces to our living room, I have kids' artwork on. I also put artwork on the fridge, visible to our dining area, and on the kitchen door. I have a notice board for certificates etc, but I usually keep a mirror hangind there instead, it is easy to replace when needed. :D

charleyfarley
31-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I got so fed up of house looking like a nursery we turned the dining room into a toy/playroom.
Our rather large table and chairs are now stored in the old toyroom.

At least now all the toys are in one room and not all over the place. I have the children's artwork, various posters and the certificates etc that we have to display on the walls in this room.
Although I can't shut the door as it is open plan it is forgotten about except when Mitchell decides he's going to pull all the books off bookshelf:laughing:

Yeh we've lost the dining room but it has been worth it for us

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I too resemble a nursery, BUT thanks to all the posters my hubby and children now know how to wash their hands correctly, that they are to STOP and not run out into the road, say Bonjour, Guten Tag, Wotcha and I'm not eating that in Mandarin, Latin and Martian.
Hubby likes coming in to see what we are learning today (his fav so far was Beers of the World), bless him he even picks up his name tag and puts it in the basket so I know he is here. Oh and he especially likes knowing what we are eating for the next week although complains when he is expecting spag bol and he gets served up fish fingers and chips (I think I may be confusing him).

Am working on getting him to sign the behaviour agreement though:jump for joy:

Lou
31-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I too resemble a nursery, BUT thanks to all the posters my hubby and children now know how to wash their hands correctly, that they are to STOP and not run out into the road, say Bonjour, Guten Tag, Wotcha and I'm not eating that in Mandarin, Latin and Martian.
Hubby likes coming in to see what we are learning today (his fav so far was Beers of the World), bless him he even picks up his name tag and puts it in the basket so I know he is here. Oh and he especially likes knowing what we are eating for the next week although complains when he is expecting spag bol and he gets served up fish fingers and chips (I think I may be confusing him).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peggy
31-01-2008, 10:09 PM

roflmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 10:21 PM
You lot think I am kidding!!!! I'm not, he is really enjoying our "literacy/circle time" and knows phonics A, T, S, P, I,N (adores running around like an aeroplane its just that the kids tend to look at him like he is a bit of his trolley like).

Lou
31-01-2008, 10:26 PM
ha ha thats made me laugh vik,

my hubbys personal fave is V!!!!!!

try to picture it lol

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 10:39 PM
:laughing: :D :jump for joy:

ajs
31-01-2008, 11:41 PM

vik i am coming to bring my children mindees and my own to your house you sound like you have so much fun.

crazybones
01-02-2008, 04:49 AM
WOW mine is only interested if they have been baking. Usually just wants to know what time the last one is leaving so he can have tea, who hasnt flushed the loo, (because its his job to clean it every night - boy thing and most of my mindees are boys and we know how they cant aim!). Oh yeah and why have pages been cut out of his magazine:eek: .

Annie x

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Annie - what on earth are you dong up at 4.49am????? :eek: :panic: Nutter

crazybones
01-02-2008, 11:16 AM
:laughing: Wind kept me awake (outside not me) Hubby was complaing at me for tossing and turning so decided to iron but when I got downstairs the laptop looked much more interesting than the iron.:yawning:

Annie x

ajs
01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
ironing at 4 o clock loony

i'd have put a dvd on and snuggled under the blanket on the sofa
or told hubby to ****** off and stayed where i was

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM

oh Vik you are so funny you cheer me up no end :)

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
oh Vik you are so funny you cheer me up no end :)

Glad to be of service Susan.:joker: Are you feeling any better???

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Glad to be of service Susan.:joker: Are you feeling any better???

no :( still feel like sh** but cant afford another day off :( told mums that would be free play today as not well and they said ok bye !!!!!

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Forgot to tell you all I have been gifted some display boards from a guy on freecycle to display the childrens work etc am so thrilled as they are quite big and I can put them in the garage when dont need them out but when i do they are great for doing projects on etc also be good as partitions in the garage and displays if i ever get it converted !!!!

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Excellent Susan, its always lovely when we get a freebie - makes it even more great!

Tiisku
01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
You are all doing all this fab stuff with your children and mindees, I feel rather rubbish now..:o :( I haven't got weekly and daily plans, I cook whatever I can think of on the day( and what I can find from the cupboards and fridge/freezer) and I'm not teaching lots of cool stuff to my kids.. And I severly lack posters ! Well I'm only part-time minding the little baby at the moment, my two lads( 3y and 17m) take most of my time. But still no excuse.. not very organised.. I'm terrified as I will my first inspection some time next month ! Help !

Tiisku
01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh I did do Chinese lanterns today with boys and mindee. :)

crazybones
01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
You are all doing all this fab stuff with your children and mindees, I feel rather rubbish now..:o :( I haven't got weekly and daily plans, I cook whatever I can think of on the day( and what I can find from the cupboards and fridge/freezer) and I'm not teaching lots of cool stuff to my kids.. And I severly lack posters ! Well I'm only part-time minding the little baby at the moment, my two lads( 3y and 17m) take most of my time. But still no excuse.. not very organised.. I'm terrified as I will my first inspection some time next month ! Help !

I felt like this until I found ths site and now I am inspired and broke. I have bought loads of stuff over the last couple of days but it is catching - my "nearly 11" year old has just made me a fire evacuation plan on the pc. I was very impressed I can just about type and I was a secretary for 12 years.
He is now making a dinosaur poster because he wants to do all about dinsosaurs for the little ones as our subject for March. He is really into them in a major way so I thought why not let him run with it and see what he comes up with. Anyway I am waffling just start jotting down ideas and aim to do one thing a day towards your inspection, thats what I am telling myself anyway. Then again I was the one on here at 4.30 am because I couldnt sleep looking for ideas and bookmarking sites

Annie :rolleyes: :rolleyes: