PDA

View Full Version : Garden safety

jw19nr
03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Hello. Have been trying to get a rough idea of how much work needs to be done to my garden, as its a bit of a state!

What are the main safety rules of using the garden for childminding?

Also, I have been thinking of growing our own fruit and veg, will this effect my inspection? I would rather know before I started so I dont do loads of hard work for nothing!

Any advice would be appriciated.
Thanks

Polly2
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Hiya

Your garden needs to enclosed, no hazardous plants, no dangerous equipment about eg. lawn mowers, rakes etc, ponds need to be inaccessable.

I don't think it would be a prob to grow fruit and veg - in fact it could be lovely for the children to get involved.

Hope that helps a bit
Holly

deeb66
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Holly has said most but would add:-

If you have a greenhouse you need to fence it off.

Drains have to have solid covers over them at all times.

Rotary washing lines have to be covered with an appropriate cover at all times.

It is better to padlock sheds if you can as I know someone who was pulled up for having garden tools inside with no padlock on.

Swings, climbing frames etc have to be secure.

Dee

angeldelight
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes I agree with everyone

Also if they are using climbing frames / trampoline etc cover yourself with a policy for these

If you have anything else like steps in your garden or anything else that you really can not do anything with then cover yourself by knowing what risks there are

I have steep steps in my garden but explain that children do not use them and if they do it is with my supervision - do you see what I mean ?

I think growning your own fruit and veg would be great because you could involve the children with your supervision

Good luck getting it sorted

Angel xx

jo f
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I aggree with the fruit and veg being a big plus!!

As well as what others have put i would be careful of anything which can collect rain water, make sure bins/ recycle stuff are not accesible, and washing lines are made safe.

Twinkles
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Not much to add but make sure that if you have a sandpit that it's covered.
It might be a good idea to do a risk assesment. Just stand in your garden and look at any possible risks, write them down and write down what measures you have taken to minimise-or eliminate the risk.I also have a trampoline and as well as clear written rules - for the older children,I have a policy and parents sign a permission slip to say that they've seen the rules and give permission for their child to use the trampoline.

Spangles
04-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't forget to check that none of the plants in your garden are poisonous!

sue
06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Also check for cat poo!! the cats round our way always uses our garden!! have to go out daily to check!!!:angry:

Mollymop
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Yep, I agree!! - Cat poo!! :rolleyes: They think my garden is a litter tray and there are so many cats down my road.
My garden needs doing before my inspection. We have fenced our pond so that it is safe, but i need a good tidy and sort, as my husband is car mad and he leaves lots of car parts (junk) laying against our garage, and I wish he wouldn't - we have a triple garage so why does he always have to leave his mess everwhere??:panic: MEN!!:angry:
Sandrax