PDA

View Full Version : Mum wont drive in snow so she wants me to collect him on top of a steep hill!

sammy
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
what is wrong with people, just because i have a 4x4 (still have to press a button to get four wheel drive, although never tested it) but when i drove in snow before and was only a little bit, my car was all over the place. She text me to ask if i could collect him tommorow she lives on top of a steep hill, so might be ok getting up it but how the heck will i stop on way down!! especially with 3 under 2s its not worth crashing! So i said no, she now wants to come at 7.30 instead of 8.15 so her partner will drive to me and drop him off earlier ! i normally get up at that time, but had to say yes! i could tell she was a bit annoyed that i couldnt get him.

Then ive had to text another parent to say can she drop him to me as she lives up a steep hill too, i normally pick him up and drop him off on way to my sons nursery, this is only so she cant be late too, as she made a habit of this, i havnt put this in the contract but she will probably say no i cant drop him off then expect to not pay me, as i couldnt get him!! i shall wait and see......

Should we have a signed permission form to drive in the snow???? haha

berkschick
01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I point blank, totally and utterly refuse to drive anywhere in the snow for anyone! I hate even walking in it :panic:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
eeer tell her no way hose, why on earth should you put yourself at risk if she is not willing to.

If you want to do it ask her to meet you at the bottom of the hill and make it extremely clear that you are chargin extra for your time and fuel costs and that this will be a one of.

If you are not happy about doing it - tell her no and its her responsibility to get the child to you - and charge as normal if she doesn't turn up

I can understand where she is coming from, I hate driving in the snow and do it very very reluctantly but I do know that its my responsibility to get my kids to school - would love to see schools faces if I rung up and asked if they could do that for me!!!

Hebs
01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
make sure you charge first mum for the extra time, and as for 2nd mum you are open, so charge :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
what is wrong with people, just because i have a 4x4 (still have to press a button to get four wheel drive, although never tested it) but when i drove in snow before and was only a little bit, my car was all over the place. She text me to ask if i could collect him tommorow she lives on top of a steep hill, so might be ok getting up it but how the heck will i stop on way down!! especially with 3 under 2s its not worth crashing! So i said no, she now wants to come at 7.30 instead of 8.15 so her partner will drive to me and drop him off earlier ! i normally get up at that time, but had to say yes! i could tell she was a bit annoyed that i couldnt get him.

Then ive had to text another parent to say can she drop him to me as she lives up a steep hill too, i normally pick him up and drop him off on way to my sons nursery, this is only so she cant be late too, as she made a habit of this, i havnt put this in the contract but she will probably say no i cant drop him off then expect to not pay me, as i couldnt get him!! i shall wait and see......

Should we have a signed permission form to drive in the snow???? haha

sounds like you need to toughen up with your parents Sammy. Sorry to be so blunt but I think they are expecting you to go over and above your duty as a minder. With the latter parent - tell her to start getting up earlier or start darned well charging her for the time and costs to pick her LO up. If she can't get LO to you on time, you go about your daily business and charge them for it if they don't turn up.

Who do these people think they are?

Want help drafting a section for your newsletter????:D

miffy
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
You're a childminder not a taxi service! I agree with Pip it's up to her to get the child to you not the other way round

Miffy xx

FizzysFriends
01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd charge danger money, as they are asking you to do something for their child they aren't prepared to do (its doesn't matter that you have a 4x4 its their children).

Blaze
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
& what if you crash..what will the other parents say! & what about the incovenience& your expense if you damage your car & can't use it? Time to get tough with the pair of them!:angry:

sammy
01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
yes i defiantely agree with you all, i try not to be soft, but the second mum was taking the pee big time!! and as my child started nursery around the corner from where she lives, i thought it made sense to drop off and collect him as the times are also convenient, for her and me. But she then does get her full 2 hours whereas before she would spend 20 mins in travelling time to here and back home. So she has it good, but it annoys me when she will say in mornings he hasnt eaten yet so you will have to do him breakfast!

I remember once she was supposed to collect him at 11.30, went to a hospital appointment (without telling me) at 11.00 (which is 30 mins away) then text me at 11.15 to say i havnt been seen to get my blood test yet, so i might be a while!! now this is after i told her in the morning that my mother inlaw was in hospital on her death bed, so i had to see her after he went home. I did text her back saying you need to come back and make another appointment for another day. I wouldnt mind if she arranged it in advance with me!! Then another time she was at docs, and asked if i could drop him off there as she was still waiting to be seen - i did as i felt i had to!!

sammy
01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
just had call from the second mum, shes not bringing him as her daughter has a high temp too and doesnt want to go out. So i didnt like to say well you are still being charged, but when she gets her bill she will be. She always questions anything thats not in her favour!!

Blaze
01-02-2009, 09:02 PM
In the future, if mum does the above again tell her if she cannot get there you simply ring the emergency contacts & get them to collect...that's what they are there for!:thumbsup:

Jules27
01-02-2009, 09:14 PM
If a parent rung me asking to collect coz they didn't want to drive in the snow I would simply say i don't want to drive in it either and will only go out if i really HAVE to for example school run/pre school drop!!!:)

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
just had call from the second mum, shes not bringing him as her daughter has a high temp too and doesnt want to go out. So i didnt like to say well you are still being charged, but when she gets her bill she will be. She always questions anything thats not in her favour!!

if she has signed a contract to the effect that she pays if her child does not attend due to sickness then thats all you do - quote the contract

ajs
01-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I point blank, totally and utterly refuse to drive anywhere in the snow for anyone! I hate even walking in it :panic:

me too debbie

wendywu
01-02-2009, 09:38 PM
They dont need their bottoms and noses wiped for them as well do they.

Talk about spoon fed it gets beyond a joke. I would have text back, "Good one gave me a laugh now being serious what time are you dropping him tomorrow":laughing:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
They dont need their bottoms and noses wiped for them as well do they.

Talk about spoon fed it gets beyond a joke. I would have text back, "Good one gave me a laugh now being serious what time are you dropping him tomorrow":laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :clapping: brilliant repy

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
cheeky mare x

squiggle
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
sorry to hijack your thread but this will make you all laugh....

i once had a parent ring me to say she was locked in the house as her ds had posted her keys through the letter box to the outside.

she actually asked me to go and pick him up and she would PASS HIM TO ME THROUGH THE WINDOW!!!!

I said sorry we are already settled with activities for the day and i couldn't collect. he never came that day :laughing:

xxx

Twinkles
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
OMG was she desperate to get rid of him or what ??? :eek:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 10:44 PM

i once had a parent ring me to say she was locked in the house as her ds had posted her keys through the letter box to the outside.

she actually asked me to go and pick him up and she would PASS HIM TO ME THROUGH THE WINDOW!!!!

I said sorry we are already settled with activities for the day and i couldn't collect. he never came that day :laughing:

xxx

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: oh thats funny. My friends hub locked her in once like that, she made the kids climb out the window to get to school! lol

squiggle
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
i thought it would make you laugh.

the parents were 'dippy' to put it politely

xx

beerheaven
01-02-2009, 10:46 PM

xxx
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That has really cheered me up on a Sunday eve!

sammy
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
dont mean to sound divvy but if you had of gone then surely she wouldnt have passed him through the window, wouldnt you be able to pick the keys up and open the door yourself? or didnt she think of that one.

It reminds me that my mum got locked out once, so she passed my sister through the cat flap and got her to open the door!!

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
dont mean to sound divvy but if you had of gone then surely she wouldnt have passed him through the window, wouldnt you be able to pick the keys up and open the door yourself? or didnt she think of that one.

It reminds me that my mum got locked out once, so she passed my sister through the cat flap and got her to open the door!!

some doors if they are locked from the outside they cannot be opened from the inside - my friend has this problem on many occasions