PDA

View Full Version : seeting up a pre school

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
hi i am considering relly considering setting up a pre school in the next few years. still be childminding i nthe holidays as my youngerst is only one
i asked ofsted about it when she came to inspect me last week and she said that they would have no promlems granting me permition to set one up based on the standard of my childminding and all i would have to do is apply what i have done at home to the new building which is fine and i can do that.

but i was looking for some advice on cost setting up as in toys needed equipement and such fee and all the rest of it as i don't know where to start any ideas or good websites any one can offer would be great

FizzysFriends
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I have no idea, but good luck.

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
wow, thats fab (a degree would come in REALLY handy them - see other thread),
I don't know about how to set up one but best of luck

how about asking your EY team and having a look at the Pre-School Learning Alliance website

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
been on pre school learning alluience site it not any help at all
i think i going to talk to the school where my children go as they are thinking about it and i live next door to one of the teaching assistants so get all the gossip

see if the head has any think she wants in perticular

misst104
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I am chairperson of our village pre-school committee but didn't have any involvement when it was set up (its been running years!!!!) so can't really advise but wanted to say good luck with the planning! :thumbsup:

jo x x x :)

Definately think it would be worth getting in touch with pre-school learning alliance. In my experience they are quite friendly and may be able to advise as to where to go next with the idea!

x x x :)

mandy moo
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Thats something Ive thought about too..
Good luck:thumbsup:

Tatia
01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd start with premises. Where would you call home? Are you thinking of a sessional playgroup type thing where you rent space and pack all your stuff away each day? It'd be awesome if you got in on the ground floor with the school cos then budget wouldn't be a huge deal. Try to get space with an outdoor area, if oyu can cos that will make a huge difference.

I'd also pay attention to how many other groups there are in your area, including which schools offer free nursery funding cos they'll be your biggest competitors for children, especially after they turn 3. We lose a good amount each term that we've taken on at 2 and then parents move them to school nursery the term after they're 3 and the funding kicks in.

It sounds very exciting and something that I have thought about, too although I'd prob open a full day care if I ever got that ambitious. :laughing:

Princess Sara
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Premises. Talk to the school and find out if they have a spare classroom with access to outside that can maybe be fenced off. Direct access to toiliets are a must aswell. If not how would they feel to a 'porta-cabin' ajacent to the school. Arange a meeting with the head and have a list of such quetions.

Next contact the pre-school learning alliance because as far as I can work out, they will help with training, publications and maybe advise you on how to fund the project.

Then contact the early years team. Tell them your plans and ask for advise on set up and what funding and training they can offer.

Come round my house and brain storm a buisness plan.

x x x

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
it all sounds so exciting tammerisk, make sure you keep us updated.

never thought, Ofsted might be a good source of help

tammerisk
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
went it the school today and asked to speak to the head so just waiting for the phone call if not heard by the end of the week i will go in again as i need premises first as a starting point there are a few to consider but i think the school is the best

for the 3 and 4 year olds i intend to offer the funded places so not to loose them and i think i will be open 9 till 3 three sessions a day 9 till half eleven lunch club 11.30 to 12.30and then 12.30 till 3. thinking about 5 pound per session and 2.50 for lunch but parents to provide lunch as i don't wan to cook to much paper work!!!!!

am going to talk to my friends mum she runs an old peoples home so can help with contracts of employment (i know it not quite the same but it a start)

so there the first bit.

round to princess saras( my sister) house it is then for brain storming

Tatia
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
i intend to offer the funded places so not to loose them
We offer funded places too but still lose them to school nurseries. Just the way it goes.

And keep in mind when planning your sessions that funding is going to increase to 3 hours within the next year so you'll need to consider how you accomodate the added 1/2 hour. £5 a session is way, way too little. Don't price yourself out of the market. Charge at least £8.

Good luck when meeting with the Head.:)

devoncm
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Got no input but just wanted to say it sounds a great idea

Polly2
02-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Sounds fantastic! In my area there are grants available for this so may be worth ringing your local council??

bluestar
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I did this last year and it was so much hard work - but I saw if your'e up for it have the drive and determination then go for it!!
What you need first is a good buisness plan to make sure there is a need for another Pre School.
Your EYA will be able to help and put you in touch with a development worker for your area - dont underestimate how much work it is for very little monetary gain - the rewards come when you see the little ones grow and achieve in a happy setting.
The other thing is that you never switch off - luckily my children are older and are used to me spending all Sunday getting ready for Monday!!
Hope I havent put you off - only having done it myself I feel I am in a position to advise!!
Good Luck
Good Luck

tammerisk
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
We offer funded places too but still lose them to school nurseries. Just the way it goes.

And keep in mind when planning your sessions that funding is going to increase to 3 hours within the next year so you'll need to consider how you accomodate the added 1/2 hour. £5 a session is way, way too little. Don't price yourself out of the market. Charge at least £8.

Good luck when meeting with the Head.:)

have realized that when worked out my wages bill last night!!!!!!!!!!!
it would but 10 pound short
i really need to get premisiss first and work out bills
then decide on fees

tammerisk
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I did this last year and it was so much hard work - but I saw if your'e up for it have the drive and determination then go for it!!
What you need first is a good buisness plan to make sure there is a need for another Pre School.
Your EYA will be able to help and put you in touch with a development worker for your area - dont underestimate how much work it is for very little monetary gain - the rewards come when you see the little ones grow and achieve in a happy setting.
The other thing is that you never switch off - luckily my children are older and are used to me spending all Sunday getting ready for Monday!!
Hope I havent put you off - only having done it myself I feel I am in a position to advise!!
Good Luck
Good Luck
no you haven't i an determined to have my own buisness

and i think it will pay off not to bothered about money i just think it my mission in life to work with children and give them the best possible start i can i am doing it with a few not and i think i have made a big difference so now it time to move to a bigger scale.
hope i don't sound to big headed but i very passionate about this
if it is where i am ment to go on my life path then god and the angels will help me on my way as they always have