PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Please

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
For one of my assignments I have to plan and carry out a problem solving and enquiry based activity over half term . This can either be a series of activities (2-3) or a continuous one.
I only have 3 children aged 4yrs, 3yrs and 2yrs plus my own kids and this is only for two days per week.

OK any ideas that are quite simple please.....

miffy
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
What about making a bug house with cardboard tubes?

You can have different sizes, lengths and different things to fix them together

Don't know if that's the sort of thing you mean but they could all do that - junk modelling with a purpose :laughing:

Miffy xx

Shar
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I have been given loads of ideas in The practical EYFS handbook by Penny Tassoni. (amazon- £14.99) well worth having. :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
now there you go - why on earth didn't I think of asking my 11year old son:doh:

if in doubt or out of ideas ask a child:D

bless him he has come up some really good ideas that I wanted to run by you to see if you concur (and perhaps how I can plan for/adapt for the ages of children I have)

making a volcano (or using the prebuilt one upstairs) and using vinegar and bicarb - making it explode

floating things in water - what floats what doesn't, following on from that adding salt to the water will make an egg float....

changing the colour of an egg - soaking it in food dye and then using other things to see if we change the colours....

bubbles - making bubbles, where do they go....

and here is his peice de resistance (apologies for spelling) - upthrust, yes upthrust

think my son has swallowed the science book and planning at school

what do you lot reckon do you think these will cover problem solving and enquiry? how would I evolve the problem solving....

Blaze
01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
now there you go - why on earth didn't I think of asking my 11year old son:doh:

if in doubt or out of ideas ask a child:D

bless him he has come up some really good ideas that I wanted to run by you to see if you concur (and perhaps how I can plan for/adapt for the ages of children I have)

making a volcano (or using the prebuilt one upstairs) and using vinegar and bicarb - making it explode

floating things in water - what floats what doesn't, following on from that adding salt to the water will make an egg float

changing the colour of an egg - soaking it in food dye and then using other things to see if we change the colours....

bubbles - making bubbles, where do they go....

and here is his peice de resistance (apologies for spelling) - upthrust, yes upthrust

think my son has swallowed the science book and planning at school

what do you lot reckon do you think these will cover problem solving and enquiry? how would I evolve the problem solving....

Can you call me please!:)

Bananabrain
01-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi pipsqueak,I too have an eleven year old son, although he thinks he's 28.

You can also soak a hard- boiled egg in white vinegar. It's supposed to bounce ha ha. tried this with the children. It didn't work:laughing:

Also soaking carnation stems in food colouring,makes the petals change colour if they are pale colours to start with.

Not problem solving stuff,but good for a laugh with the children.

Blaze
01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Have emailed you to following our conversation!:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you everyone:thumbsup: really appreciate your input.

and Blaze you are a total star but I am sure you know that:clapping:

Blaze
01-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you everyone:thumbsup: really appreciate your input.

and Blaze you are a total star but I am sure you know that:clapping:

:blush: Your more than welcome...Glad I could help! Did you get my email?:)