PDA

View Full Version : 8 Year Olds

Jemima77
31-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I have had an enquiry about having an 8 year old boy in the holidays..the thing is that all my other mindees are under 3 and I really don't think that he would enjoy the time with me as I hear that he is quite an awkward child re eating, joining in etc...I have already told his mum I have a vacancy and she is coming to see me on Monday. Dont know whether it would be best to ring her back and tell her its maybe not the best idea. I would rather less stress than more money. What shall I do??? Thanks x

Chatterbox Childcare
31-01-2009, 05:18 PM
In my experience what you hear on the grapevine is not always true and I never judge until I have met the child.

Personally, I would see the parent and child, discuss terms, fees etc and then decide if it is what I want.

sarah707
31-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes I agree with Debbie... I treat all parents / children exactly the same as all others until we get to know each other.

Anyway, that's what your 4 week settling in period is for. If it doesn't work, then is the time to speak to parents and tell them nobody is happy.

You might find an older one slots right in... he will need footballs, cars, a hand held electronic thingy, television, my older ones like puzzle books, maybe access to a computer ... ask him what he likes to do.

Then you just need clear behaviour guidelines especially about how to behave '/ what to say around the little ones.

Hope the interview goes well :D

Pipsqueak
31-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Good advice given already. You might just find that you enjoy having an older child around - they can be very communicative, helpful, they help "jazz" up things by being interested, the younger ones can learn from him and they often love having an older playmate.

Its true - don't judge a book by its cover (or in other words what you hear around) - give him a chance- by this I mean meet the parents and him and go from there. He may be considered "awkward" by others because he is an active child, needs more stimulation (and at the end of the day its up to the provider to provide challenging and stimulating activites/environment), has a learning difficulty, or is generally misunderstood. Of course older children can be "awkward" - they have a mind and voice of their own, know what they want and often express it but the trick is involve them, listen to them, respond appropriately (oooh I make it sound so easy:rolleyes: )

I find having older children about keeps me on my toes, gives me more to think about, someone to chatter to.
If I had listened to what others where saying about one child I cared for I would have missed out on what has proved to be a wonderful experience.

mandy moo
31-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Having a ten year old of my own, good advice all ready given.
My son still loves drawing and his toy cars (dont want him to growup too soon) he loves his DS, and the playstation.
He still is into LEGO and magnetix, and craft and stuff..
And of course the T.V.
Hes also a great help at taking off coats and shoes etc, as I too, have 5 under 5's, after the 3.15pm school run, Bless him.

DudleyChildmind
01-02-2009, 05:26 AM
I have 4 over 8's and I love having them. They enjoy helping with the little ones too.

Good luck :)