PDA

View Full Version : Child who doesn't like any messy play

Emma
30-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Hope there is a bit of advice out there for me.
I have a 19 month girl in my care who cannot bear to be mucky, and does not want to participate in any messy play. I have tried, Shaving foam, gloop, rice, paint, flour, you name it I have tried it, and all she does is either scream, get up set or refuse to take part and walk off. The other child is fine with all the opportunities given.
I have tried her with using utensils instead of getting her hands in, but will also not join in....does any one have a similar experience of this, and what would you suggest I can do about it, as I understand that messy play is really important with regard to her development and mark making.....

Help please
Thanks
Emma

Minnie Minx
30-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Charlotte my neice was like this when she was little, she would cry if she got any dirt on her. All i can say is don't force her, you'll make her worse and may traumatise her. If she doesn't want to messy play then let her so some drawing, colouring or painting.

Charlotte is now 7 and loves getting messy but we didn't force her at all.

I remember when she was 2 and i was finger painting (trying to encourage her) and she broke down and since then we've let her do it in her own time and she's fine now. She actually enjoy gardening and picking up mud and worms :panic:

xxx

sarah707
30-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Theresa is right - a child should be offered but not feel in any way forced or pressured...

Continue to offer messy activities, but really gently and in an exciting way, with non-messy ones side by side - maybe a painting activity, with the option for finger painting, but you can do the finger prints and she can add the caterpillar legs when it's dry... things like that.

She will hopefully see it's fun and one day join in. But don't worry if she doesn't - you'll just have to be a bit more creative with what you offer.

It usually comes from someone in the family - I know my mum was paranoid about me getting dirty and to this day I don't like my hands covered in paint - but i'm ok with playdough as it's drier...

Good luck! :D

berkschick
30-01-2008, 10:45 AM
I have a 17 month old the same!

My DD who is also 17 month loves it. Loves drawing, painting, sand, everything but M HATES it. I tried to get her to use a crayon yesterday and she screamed at the sight of it then screwed the paper up. Her obs book is full of screwed up paper, its all she does!

Mum is very laid back about it and doesnt want M pushed into anything she doesnt want to do which I totally agree with so I just offer her the chance to join in with whatever we are doing but leave her be if she isnt interested.

charleyfarley
30-01-2008, 10:46 AM
My Charley was the same even now if she gets anything on her clothes she has to take them off.
She gets quite upset over it, she is getting a bit better now.

As the others have said don't force it, leave it fora while then try them again.

Mitchell would never do handpainting but last week he couldn't wait to get his hands in the paint and cried when we put them away

My mindee is the same but I know he'll do it when he's ready

Carol xx

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with everyone else she will grown out of it - hopefully

Lots of children are like this though

I would let her do other things when you are doing messy play she might just join in herself one day

Just do not make a big deal of it

Good luck

Angel xx

Blaze
30-01-2008, 11:24 AM
As above!
Tasha:)

berkschick
30-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Just a thought.....

I did get M to play with the aquadraw yesterday. We also have Dora aquadraw pictures which I got in tesco reduced to £1.49! Maybe that would be an idea as it is giving them the excitment of seeing differant colours without getting messy. Also it is helping with hand eye co-ordination and teching them how to use pens.

sarah707
30-01-2008, 12:02 PM
What's aquadraw? Mindee was asking me for it yesterday and I didn't have a clue!?!

All this modern stuff :rolleyes:

berkschick
30-01-2008, 12:09 PM
You are really missing out Sarah, Aquadraw is fab!

It is a big drawing mat and comes with pens you fill with water. When the water goes on the mat, rainbow colours appear like magic! It looks like real paint, you can draw, write, colour with the water pen. Ellas also came with stampers. Even my 13 year old loves it!

This is the one we have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomy-6674-Rainbow-Aquadraw/dp/B000T50MBI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1201694905&sr=8-1

manjay
30-01-2008, 12:27 PM
We have mini Bob the builder aqua draws and my son(20 months) loves them.

He is the same with messy play. Not sure why! I don't make a fuss about him being messy just clean him up before he leaves the table. We have had a breakthrough recently when I let him draw with yogurt on the table! and we made shapes out of his long spaghetti that he was eating. I know it may not be ideal but his food was something he was obviously comfortable with so I have concentrated on this and now he is much happier to join in messy play!! On the downside we do have yogurt all over the table now every time he has one but hey ho needs must!

amanda xx

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree aqua draw is brilliant my kids love it

Angel xx

sarah707
30-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Oooo thank you! I will go and explore! :D

emler
30-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Emma got the Princess Aqua Draw for her birthday last week and it has definately been her favourite pressie!

Emler x

charleyfarley
30-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Emma got the Princess Aqua Draw for her birthday last week and it has definately been her favourite pressie!

Emler x

Charley was desparate for that infact it was the only thing she asked for.
So Friday before xmas we had to get it.

Yeh she wanted it that much, she's played with it once.

We also have the Thomas one for Mitchell

Mindees love them and NO mess

Carol xx

carolinel
30-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Charley was desparate for that infact it was the only thing she asked for.
So Friday before xmas we had to get it.

Yeh she wanted it that much, she's played with it once.We also have the Thomas one for Mitchell

Mindees love them and NO mess

Carol xx

haha, that's Emily to a tee!!! it was out on Christmas day and that's been it!

jaz
30-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Have you tried cooking spaghetti with food dye, letting it cool down and then you can play with it. It worked for one of the children I look after, ab=nd now he will play with most things. Also have you tried jelly?