PDA

View Full Version : Throwing schema

tomthumb
30-01-2009, 01:02 PM
The little boy I am minding (18 months) has a throwing schema.
I was wondering if you have any advice on how to make him understand that it is ok for certain things but not others (He throws absolutely everything, his spoon and plate once he has finished eating; anything he can get his hands on! When I say 'no' to him if he throws his plate for instance, he thinks it is funny.)

I want to encourage it (with beanbags and different balls, any other ideas???) but also would like to make him understand that some things cannot be thrown!!

I hope I make sense

Elodie XX

misst104
30-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Tricky isn't it. At 18 months its so hard to get them to understand about things like this. I would just say each time he throws something " We don't throw plates do we, we throw beanbags/balls. After tea we can do some throwing" - something like that EVERY time and it may get through eventually. I do it all the time with my lo's. eg. we dont spit at people, we spit out toothpaste, we dont climb on the sofa, we climb on the climbing frame etc, etc. It does seem to work!

Good luck :)

jo x x x

melanieabigail2004
30-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Its a case of him differentiating between right and wrong which unfortunately means you have to continue reinforcing this throughout the day. Some suggestions for activities would be:-

- Provide soft balls to throw and roll
- Blow bubbles to be caught
- Allow them to play on swings, slides and bikes
- Give opportunities to pour water

Mel

sarah707
30-01-2009, 03:03 PM
you've had some excellent replies already.

I just wanted to post my fave schemas website -

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=468&SiteExtra=17910327&TopNavId=642&NavSideId=8920

childmind04
30-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I have one the same and as much as i want to encourage his learning my house is a danger zone when he is here!!!! My problem is we have soft balls etc but its my living room they play and i dont permit any throwing and try to get him outside as much as possible to give him oppertunities but he attends nursery where they are allowed to throw, poor mum is at her wits end as he cracked the tv screen at the weekend!!!!

Will have a look at that website when i get sorted :)