PDA

View Full Version : learning journals and parental feedback

Donkey
29-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I am planning on writing a feedback sheet which parents fill in once they have read their childrens learning journals. I am going to make them fill it in before they leave as the childrens learning journals are never going to leave my sight.:littleangel:

I am thinking of basing it on the eyfs themes but I am coming up a little a short.

does anyone have any ideas??

sarah707
29-01-2009, 10:10 PM
They might not understand...

I'd be tempted to base it on the 6 areas of L & D or am I totally not with what you're saying? :rolleyes:

miss mopple
29-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I meet with parents every 3 months and they keep the learning journey for a couple of days to look at at leisure and comment on.

They have a sheet to fill out that asks for comments on the terms learning journey, and if there is anything significant going on in the childs home life that I could extend into my planning.

Ive never had a problem with them returning it :)

beerheaven
29-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I started end of last year handing out the learning journals to be taken home for a night or two. I asked just for general comments, including anything major they are doing at home. One set of parents wrote comments, the other didn't! Think I need to develop some sort of feedback sheet.

angeldelight
30-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I meet with parents every 3 months and they keep the learning journey for a couple of days to look at at leisure and comment on.

They have a sheet to fill out that asks for comments on the terms learning journey, and if there is anything significant going on in the childs home life that I could extend into my planning.

I do more or less the same

Angel xx

Monkey1
30-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Sarah helped me recently with some infoo and i wrote my own a little bit like a school report. I wrote something under each area of learning, a summary of what i hope to do next and space for the parents comments etc

watgem
30-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I use an A4 sheet with 6 areas of learning & development down one side. I make brief positive comments next to each one and leave an equal sized box for the parent/carer to make a comment if wished. I drew this out by hand so it doesn't look very professional I don't know how how to make templates on the pc yet! I also sign and date and get parents/carers too also. I made a spidergram[again hand drawn] with their child's name and d.o.b in the centre and added bubbles for interests, likes/dislikes, friends, significant people, new things to be aware of, concerns etc also dated and wrote my observations in one colour,parents to write in another, this is to help with planning for each individual child . Of my 5 eyfs learning journey folders I gave out for parents to look at over at Christmas and complete I've only had 2 back so far, despite reminders! :)

sarah707
30-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I use an A4 sheet with 6 areas of learning & development down one side. I make brief positive comments next to each one and leave an equal sized box for the parent/carer to make a comment if wished. I drew this out by hand so it doesn't look very professional I don't know how how to make templates on the pc yet! I also sign and date and get parents/carers too also.

I've tried to design it to what you have described... if I've missed anything out let me know! :D

watgem
30-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Thats it! Thanks Sarah please share itxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxps Happy New Year hope you and yours are all well:clapping:

LittleMissSparkles
30-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I've tried to design it to what you have described... if I've missed anything out let me know! :D

thanks Sarah for sharing that is lovely x

sarah707
30-01-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks Sarah for sharing that is lovely x

You're welcome but I just drew up what Gem described... it's not my work it's hers! :D

LittleMissSparkles
30-01-2009, 05:21 PM
You're welcome but I just drew up what Gem described... it's not my work it's hers! :D

great team work :thumbsup: xxx

sarah707
30-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I made a spidergram[again hand drawn] with their child's name and d.o.b in the centre and added bubbles for interests, likes/dislikes, friends, significant people, new things to be aware of, concerns etc also dated and wrote my observations in one colour,parents to write in another, this is to help with planning for each individual child . Of my 5 eyfs learning journey folders I gave out for parents to look at over at Christmas and complete I've only had 2 back so far, despite reminders! :)

Sorry I'm not up to spidergrams on a Friday night... is this the sort of thing you mean? :D

Pauline
30-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Same here. They have all returned them with lovely comments. I don't have a specific question sheet, I just have a sheet with a large blank areas which starts:

please would you sign below to say you have seen xxx learning journal. We would appreciate your feedback on the file. Do you have any comments about it or the activites and/or care we provide? Is there anything you would like to see added to the file? Did you enjoy seeing it?

They are also encouraged to add to the starting point information that they gave when the child started with us, updating anything significant or adding to our own observations on their stage of development.

watgem
30-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks Sarah thats really good, mine did actually look like a giant spider lol! The 2 families that have completed and returned them were very pleased with them I just need to get the others back now:)

Happy Feet
30-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for uploading the 2 documents Sarah, they look great!

I'm sure having sheets like that will come in handy when I get my head around how i'm going to do my learning journey books!!

xx

Polka Dots
30-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes thank you Sarah I've downloaded the two documents.

Can I use a scrapbook or a cardboard folder for the learning journal? Am I expected to include comments on development, photographs, artwork that sort of thing?

Claire

PixiesDen
01-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I have spent a long time preparing learning journey booklets, and EYFS progress sheets and shared them all with parents. I am sure I am not alone in observing one family is really in the swing of it, adding post it notes of their own, and another family who don't even read their daily diary sheets from one week to the next, let alone the Learning Journeys ( they didn't even see a refunded cheque for three weeks!..)
I had not thought of adding a signed sheet, thanks everyone. AT least OFSTED will know I have tried!:)