View Full Version : course confusion

29-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I did a barnet certificate in childminding thinking it would be it but someone mentioned to me that for childcare register you need to have completed a different course

Is that true?

29-01-2009, 12:26 PM
to register you need the ICP - introduction to childminding which is renamed in some places as teh Unit 1 DHC. The course is approx 6 weeks long.

It might have been your pre-reg briefing that you attended - where you got told and given lots of info about childminding?

29-01-2009, 01:08 PM
i did a 9 weeks course so maybe it covered it all

29-01-2009, 01:27 PM
The childcare register, which is for when you are registered with Ofsted to look after older children, talks about all childminders having a level 2 course or qualifications from the common core...

This is not an immediate thing, but something which will come in a few years time. Training will be available and funded to help you meet the requirements.

You can find more info on the common core here -


This is only for the childcare register, not for Eyfs. Eyfs says you need your introductory course and first aid, both of which you have got.

Hth :D

29-01-2009, 04:14 PM

does it mean i still can look after over 5's

29-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes as I said it's not an immediate thing.

I suggest you contact your local training people for more info.

You can also go on the common core website and check to see whether your qualifications are relevant for level 2.

Hth :D