PDA

View Full Version : Observation/planning

Tracey1
29-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi folks. Im just up dating my observation and planning, the one that I'm having problems with is a 20mth old. All she is happy to do is play with her sister, or on her own, doesn't want me to play with her as she doesn't sit long enough to engage her into anything. Doesn't say alot, other than juice or no.

I'm finding it hard to add anything to my observation each time she is here, I only have her two days a wekk, for 3 hrs per day, so not alot of time.

Can anyone help.

Thanks Tracey :)

sarah707
29-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi!

I'm not sure why you are trying to write an observation every time she is with you...?

Observations build up over time... they are supposed to gradually show a child's learning and development.

Some weeks nothing happens.

Then other weeks you see lots of things that make you think wow she's coming on... and off you go to find your pen.

If you use the Eyfs leanring and development grids as a guide, I am sure you will spot lots of things she is already doing that are relevant to her age and stage of development... like saying a few words, sharing with her sister, putting things in and out of boxes, being fascinated by your treasure basket, throwing things across the room etc...

Focus on what she is achieving from there and watch out for the wow bits to make your notes / take your photos etc.

Hope this helps! :D

Tracey1
29-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks sarah you are great in explaining things.

Yes I'm trying to hard to add more things on paper, the reason for it is I have my ofsted inspection on Wednesday, and trying to fill in the gaps, with children observation.

Will not worry to much about it, I note things in the children individual books, then transfer them to a form.

Thanks for your help.

:) :)

sarah707
29-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Good luck on Wednesday! :D