PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone - just a couple of questions

Toni
29-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Hello everyone :)

Sorry to bother you all with more questions but just wondering - I'm only 19 at the minute and currently studying for a level 3 diploma in childcare and education I understand I'm very young to start childminding but along with foster care it is the only thing I've ever really been interested in doing and I've been told it can take up to a year for the process to complete (is this correct?) so by which time I would obviously be 20.
I'd really like an honest answer (I wont be offended!) Do you think I will be too young a 20 to start? I've had my own house for approximately a year now but it is rented would I need to own my own home before I started? Also as part of my course I've had experience in a primary school, nursery (baby room, tweenies and pre school) and in a special needs school so I've had quite a lot of experience with children and I'm planning on getting a job in a nursery or as a TA while I wait!

Thanks a lot in advance ladies (and gents if there are any:) )

Toni x x

singlewiththree
29-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I'd really like an honest answer (I wont be offended!) Do you think I will be too young a 20 to start? I've had my own house for approximately a year now but it is rented would I need to own my own home before I started?

Toni x x

Hello Toni

No 19/20 isn't too young. It took me 3mths to be registered from attending the ICP course. Providing you can demonstrate you can care for children and you obviously have lots of experience and are passionate about it. Afterall parents employ nannies who are often younger with no children.

As for renting it is actually quite good as you can claim back some of your rent so you pay less tax. However, you have to make sure you ask the landlord that you can run a business from the house first.

good luck

angeldelight
29-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone :)

Sorry to bother you all with more questions but just wondering - I'm only 19 at the minute and currently studying for a level 3 diploma in childcare and education I understand I'm very young to start childminding but along with foster care it is the only thing I've ever really been interested in doing and I've been told it can take up to a year for the process to complete (is this correct?) so by which time I would obviously be 20.
I'd really like an honest answer (I wont be offended!) Do you think I will be too young a 20 to start? I've had my own house for approximately a year now but it is rented would I need to own my own home before I started? Also as part of my course I've had experience in a primary school, nursery (baby room, tweenies and pre school) and in a special needs school so I've had quite a lot of experience with children and I'm planning on getting a job in a nursery or as a TA while I wait!

Thanks a lot in advance ladies (and gents if there are any:) )

Toni x x

Hello Toni

My daughter started minding when she was 19 and like you had experience of being in the baby, tweenie, and pre-school room.
So there is no reason what so ever that you should not go ahead with the minding if thats what you want to do

Great idea to get a job in a nursery your registration can take a while - they you will have to advertise to get the work flowing in

Yes dont forget to mention it to the landlord

Good luck hope it goes well for you

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Polly2
29-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Go for it!! You sound like you love children and have lots of experience. :thumbsup:

Bitsy Beans
29-01-2009, 10:16 AM
It's taken me a year to get registered but I had a baby half way through. It definately doesn't take that long.
I don't think 19 is too young. I've got 2 young children and that is my only experience of kids so I am hardly the most experienced childminder going.
It's nice to hear someone who is so enthusiastic at your age.
Like the others have said check with your landlord, that could be the only stumbling block if they say no.
Good luck - keep us posted as to how you get on!

misst104
29-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm in bradford authority and it seems to be taking me a long time to get registered. went to initial info evening in August last year and then:

October - welfare requirements day
November Business training day
December - first aid training
January - DHC1 course
Feb - booked onto support session for DHC exam
March - DHC exam 5th

As you can see, they like to do a month in between each step here, hence it takes a long time. I am hoping to send out forms to ofsted and crb forms after we get them on Saturday (2nd day of DHC1). From advice on here it can take 3 months for that to come through so I am looking realistically to April/May before I get the go ahead to take children . So all in all about 9 months ish altogether!!!

Maybe in your area it could be quicker. I hope so. I don't think 20 is too young either :thumbsup:

jo x x x :)

Toni
29-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Just wondering - you all talk about courses and things would I have to do any more training on top of my course or will it be enough? (I'm hopefully going to get a food hygeine and a first aid certificate through my current job before I start the process.)

Thanks again everyone x

chewy sweets
31-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi I think it's great that you know what you want to do at your age.
I'm 26 and it took the birth of my baby boy to push me into becoming a childminder although it is something i've always wanted to do. Go for it!!!

It sounds like you'd be great at the job:clapping: :laughing:

DudleyChildmind
31-01-2009, 08:04 PM
My daughter was also a childminder when she was 19 so good luck to you :thumbsup: