PDA

View Full Version : what next after NVQ3?

MrsT333
28-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi all

Just wondering what anyone has gone on to do, aftert they have finished their nvq 3.

Im nearly half way throught mine, and although its hard work, I am enjoying it but I havent a clut what to do with it!

sarah707
28-01-2009, 10:00 PM
NVQ 4 or Open University.

They are changing the OU course I believe so it might be worth waiting a bit.

miffy
28-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I just decided to have a nice long rest :D

Miffy xx

desiderata
28-01-2009, 11:11 PM
how long did it take you to complete? I have just started and Im finding it a bit of a nightmare. Just wondered how long it would take me. Thanks x

sarah707
29-01-2009, 07:36 AM
how long did it take you to complete? I have just started and Im finding it a bit of a nightmare. Just wondered how long it would take me. Thanks x

what have you just started ? :D

Shar
29-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm having a rest too!! Was told the next step would be the Foundation Degree. Not sure if I can commit the time it will take at the moment,
5 years!!:panic:

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
5 years don't know it was that long i don't think i will be doing that then

i not sure what to do either i was going to go to uni and do the degree but my development worker basicaly said that it would be really hard for me considering my young family working and that i not a PAPERWORK person (i am a practical person and really get my knickers in a twist when i have to write lots of things)
i thikn there is lots of paper work and writting to do on the nvq 3 so i don't know if i want o do a degree that expects 1000 page essay every month and to cross reference it as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! something i have no idea how to do

so any other option would be great

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm having a rest too!! Was told the next step would be the Foundation Degree. Not sure if I can commit the time it will take at the moment,
5 years!!:panic:

I am doing the FD in 2 years, where did you hear it was five years?

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 04:47 PM
two years sounds much better i think i might be able to do that!!!

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
5 years don't know it was that long i don't think i will be doing that then

i not sure what to do either i was going to go to uni and do the degree but my development worker basicaly said that it would be really hard for me considering my young family working and that i not a PAPERWORK person (i am a practical person and really get my knickers in a twist when i have to write lots of things)
i thikn there is lots of paper work and writting to do on the nvq 3 so i don't know if i want o do a degree that expects 1000 page essay every month and to cross reference it as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! something i have no idea how to do

so any other option would be great

tammerisk, the FD is a lot of work admittedly but if you can organise yourself it can be done. You get two assignments plus pdp per semester, it mainly based on research and your own knoweldge and practice

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
well we will see i still in the middle of my nvq 3 but should be finished by the summer hoildays so will think about it in a few months will need something if i going to set up a pre school.

i cleaver just not good at writing which is why doing nvq 3

but my college tutor told me i can't do nvq 4 as i a childminder
i am going to have a meeting with my development worker and the lady who organizes the traing in my local sure start center as i am quite involved there to and see what they have to offer

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
finished in time to start the new semester year 1 in september.

give your local college a call and ask them about the foundation degree, they will give you lots of information

DON'T be fobbed of that childminders can't do the FD - they can - you just tailor the questions and instructions to fit your setting. Apparently Teeside Uni are going to be looking at the wording and layout of their framework to update to EYFS and to include ALL settings.

Its ok that you aren't good at writing... there is LOTS of help on here.

For funding approach your EY team through the graduate leader programme.

And I don't see why a childminder can't do a level 4 (yr 1 FD is the NVQ 4 equivelent)

jibberjitz
01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I would have a rest and a large glass of wine - you deserve it!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Liz

green puppy
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi,
I am having my nvq 3 induction tomorrow now that I finally have an assesser, she thinks it will take 18 months to complete. Has anybody completed it in 12 months?
ali

Carol
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,
I am having my nvq 3 induction tomorrow now that I finally have an assesser, she thinks it will take 18 months to complete. Has anybody completed it in 12 months?
ali

Completed mine under 12 months but it was hard going. So glad its over with now............dont plan on getting higher............need a rest x

Carol xx

green puppy
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello Carol,
Thanks for replying so quickly! Thats good to know it can be done in less, I'm quite looking forward to it. I have spent today buried under a mountain of paper work trying to re-organise my policies, planning, obs, personal files etc....but atleast thats done now to make room for the nvq stuff!::thumbsup:

shopshelleyd
01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi

I did my NVQ3 last year, started in October and finished in April. Some bits were quite time consuming but overall I really enjoyed and didn't find too hard. Now doing E123 and E124 with Open University. Enjoying but finding hard to fit everything in. Intended to carry on and do E115 but that sounds even harder so not sure now ....

Shelley

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi,
ali

done mine in 6 months (alongside two other courses) it can be done, good luck hun

green puppy
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Thankyou for your replies.:)
ali

tammerisk
02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
been told i have to do mine in 12 months thats what i was fu8nnded for so hope i can

louloudi
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Also doing OU FD and finish in May; well hopefully. I've found it a great course and learnt loads.

It's been hard going though :)

rachelmama
21-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I am so happy
just rang college to see if my file is ok nvq level 3 in childcare, learning and development, and it has gone through fine and i will be recieving my certificate in the post :jump for joy:
sooooo happy woop woop :)

blue bear
21-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I have just completed the nvq4, I used my scouting role for the bits childminding does not cover, people told me to do the fd and I didn't want to commit so long but nvq4 is really a bit useless job wise and wished I had started degree while funding was still available as I have now been told I will have to take a loan out now

Sarahbelle
21-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi,
ali

Did mine in 4 and a half months! But it was hard going! Haven't decided whether I want to do something else yet.:)

Helen Dempster
22-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi,
ali

I completed mine in 7 months!!!! It was hard going, but I managed it.

bexcee
22-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm in the same position as you, about half way through my level 3 and wondering what to do when it's finished.
I got funding for the course on the condition that I complete it within 18 months.
I am really enjoying the work it's just finding the time to fit it in around childminding, paperwork and my own family but will be so proud of myself when I complete it :D

bexcee
22-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I am so happy
just rang college to see if my file is ok nvq level 3 in childcare, learning and development, and it has gone through fine and i will be recieving my certificate in the post :jump for joy:
sooooo happy woop woop :)

Well done that's great news :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

nannysue
22-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I have just finished my last unit !!:clapping: :clapping: i never thought i'd see the day !! I started in September 10 and i have found it so stressful and hard work at times.

BUT saying that i'm 60 in a few weeks and have had really poor health for the last year .. so feel chuffed with myself for finishing the course.:thumbsup:

What am i going to do next ??........ Apart from a good long rest ... Nothing thats my lot !!

Good Luck to all of you who are doing courses .

Mouse
22-03-2011, 10:43 AM
For anyone looking at doing a foundation degree, this is the one I'm doing:

http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/TheLearningandDevelopmentofBabiesandYoungChildren/

I'm on my first year & a couple of other people here are on their 2nd year. It's all e-learning, though there are optional study days you can attend. I've done OU courses before, but didn't want to use it for my FD as I didn't think the support was good enough. This course is very different as you have a lot of contact with the tutors and other students, even though it's all online.

It's definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something to do after the NVQ3 :thumbsup:

bexcee
22-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Well done Sue, bet that's a huge relief to know that there are no more assignements or assessments to do.

Congratulations on completing it :D

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

nannysue
22-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Thank you , yes a massive relief ..... just have to wait for it to be passed :panic:

rachelmama
22-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Well done that's great news :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

aww thank you very much for that xx :laughing:

Beetlejuice
22-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I finished my NVQ this January and it took me 16 months. I'm now going on to do the FD with the OU - called them last week and they are sending me out the paperwork in the next couple of weeks (registration officially starts next week) I'm excited and nervous. I've cut my working hours back (partly choice, partly circumstances) and my own DD starts school in September so I'm hoping I will have more time to study. I'm lucky my DH is very supportive of my studying as I've been studying pretty much since I started childminding 3.5 years ago!!:blush: