PDA

View Full Version : The registration process

sarah707
29-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I think I've got most of the steps for registering in here... please feel free to add bits to the bottom! :D

1. Check and see if you need permission from your landlord / whether your deeds say you can run a business from home.

2. Make sure you have the full backing of your family – it will be tough for them too.

3. Talk to other childminders / parents in your area and find out if there is a demand for more minders; think about the hours you are prepared to work; check out the need for before / after school care in your area etc.

4. Look honestly at your house – is it suitable for minding? Do you have an outside play area? There will be compulsory outside play every day under EYFS from Sept 2008 – (that’s a lot of trips to the park if you don’t have a garden)... Do you have places for children to eat, play, rest and sleep? Can you effectively cater for more children in your kitchen?

5. Speak to your local CIS and

• find out about a pre-registration course and go on it – you will find out lots of information and advice and they will tell you who to ring locally if you have any questions;

• ask about funding and find out if there is a grant available;

• ask any other questions you are worrying about.

6. Apply to Ofsted for

• registration forms;

• CRB forms for everyone in your household over the age of 16.

7. Speak to your local CIS about

• dates for a First Aid course – it must be a 12 hour paediatric course;

• dates for an Introduction to Childminding Practice course (ICP) - this can be home-study, but it is more expensive to fund than going to an actual course and you don’t get to meet like-minded people working from home. Whichever way, there is an exam at the end.

8. Ofsted will contact you for a pre-registration visit

• have your CRB(s) ready to give the inspector, with 3 forms of relevant id for each one, so the inspector can complete that bit and take them away;

• make a list of any questions you want to ask;

• start writing your policies and procedures with help from www.bromleycma.org.uk and www.*************;

• think about your menus, how you will keep children occupied all day (your planning) and make a wish list of toys and equipment (Ofsted like wish lists!)

9. Find out if you will need planning permission – certain local authorities request it and if you are registering to work with someone else and intend to ‘up’ your numbers, you will need to apply well in advance.

10. Pay the Ofsted invoice when it comes.

11. Investigate insurance options – there are 2... www.***************** and www.************* – both have introductory toolkits as well, which should come out of your start-up grant (if you get one of course).

12. Ring CRB and Ofsted and chase your CRB ... daily if you have the time.

13. Start advertising! You should be getting towards the end of your registration process now and it is time to tell people a new Childminder is on the scene...

• local schools, shops, health centres etc;

• CIS will give you an information pack with a form to complete which they will put online for you;

• tell everyone you know;

Lots more ideas on the forum!

14. Ring and inform

• your household insurance – working from home may change how they charge you for accidental damage on some policies;

• your mortgage company – some need to know if you are running a business from the premises;

• your car insurance – you will need a class 1 business policy.

15. Within 3 months of working, you are legally obliged to inform the Tax Office that you are now self-employed. Your new childminder toolkit will contain examples of how to keep your books.

Specifically for Welsh members from Manjay...

- Arrange a briefing session by contacting CSSIW

- Book on to next ICP course

- Mentoring session after iCP for help with policies and completing your application form

- Write statement of purpose(this goes with part 1 of app), policies, procedures and complete statements for each of the 21 standards (part 2 of application)

- Application is taken to CSSIW where they verified identity and send off crbs, refs, social service checks and medical form

- Once all paperwork was back you are assigned an inspector who will come and do a pre reg visit. Inspector will ask questions about the standards and check your home and you are suitable. They will let you know any actions you need to take

- Certificate will be issued and you can then apply for PLI and toolkit from NCMA

Tily Bud
29-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Gosh it all looks so complicated, i wonder how I managed it :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 10:34 PM
You forgot one Sarah

Check into the Childminding Forum reguarly to meet with friends, get updates and advice and HAVE FUN

Sit back and enjoy

Well done Sarah - thats brilliant
:thumbsup:

mamapink
29-01-2008, 10:41 PM
hi

Thanks sarah
lots of info i needed here

cheers xx:)

Raggydolls
30-01-2008, 10:53 AM
might i suggest pinning this to the top sarah so it can be found easily

leanne
xx

sarah707
30-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Think I've done it! Thanks for reminding me! :D

karenjoy
13-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Great - Thanks x

Beachbum
28-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi

I just wanted to say thank you to you for taking the time to type that out, it has actually answered a few questions for me and if you don't mind I will print it out and use it as a checklist.

Thanks again, its wonderful for newbies to be given so much support :clapping:

Beachbum x

Pudding Girl
28-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I'll do a Care Commission one for Scottish people if you like? Would be good if someone else could do a Wales one if that process is different too?

angeldelight
28-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats a great idea Lou

Thank you

Angel xx