View Full Version : if a child comes injured in your premises

28-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I understand you need to record it in the accident book and get it signed by parents but are you allowed to put antiseptic or any kind of desinfectant ?

28-01-2009, 05:29 PM
The current first aid advice is use nothing but running water to clean a wound. Have you had your first aid yet? They will teach and tell you all you need to know there. xx

28-01-2009, 05:39 PM
You must not put any potions or lotions on the cut, not even a plaster without PRIOR signed permission from the parents. Best to just wash it with water and hold a clean wad against it until it stops bleeding.
And as you said, make sure the parent signs the accident form.
I've had this kind of thing happen to my youngest daughter once. I was taking her to pre-school and she managed to fall over and split her lip quite badly.
But i took her home anyway as she was upset. But if that happened to a mindee and the mum had to go, then you would get her to sign the form if possible BEFORE she leaves and attend to the child.
You may want to draft a policy that gives YOU prior permission to give Calpol to a child and the parent has to provide you with a sealed bottle or even better pouches and the packaging must have the child's name on it.
So if that child gets a fever in your care, you just contact the parent to let them know, get permission to give medication and record it on your medicines record book.
Then the parent will sign the book as well when they come to collect the child.
Phew! so much to think about :thumbsup:

29-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I am in the process of doing my first aid course ! I know about the medication policy, accident record etc , I was just confused on first aid policy.

I will do a policy on first aid then asking parents to sign to put plaster etc