PDA

View Full Version : Down in the dumps

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 03:15 PM
:(

Just been to my childminding introduction today and been told next 10 week course isnt till April! Feel really fed up now as was hoping to be up and running for then and now wont be till July :( :(

don the duck
28-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear that.
That also happened to me. i had to wait 10 weels to.. Dont know why they have them so far apart.

Time will soon fly by

rickysmiths
28-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Don't feel down the time will go past very quickly, think of all the time you can spend on here! :clapping: You could find you local Childminding Group and go there, or are you already? I'm sure if you are not they would make you welcome. :)

Are you allowed to do your First Aid in this interim time?

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 03:28 PM
worst thing is the course hasnt even been officially given a start date so could be even longer or during the day which i cant do! Dont know what i'd do if they did that!:(

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 03:29 PM
not sure about the first aid thing to be honest and cause i'm working full time at the minute cant go to local playgroups even if i wanted to, sorry for moaning, just really brought me down!

Pipsqueak
28-01-2009, 03:41 PM
In that time you can start preparing your paperwork, getting things in order, reading EYFS and getting yourself a headups so to speak.

ARe there any private courses you can do or any in a neigbouring area?

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 03:44 PM
yeah, i think the paperwork bit scares me so much i keep putting it off what i need to get ready :blush:

Not sure on private, but do you think the next town would let me on theirs??

Tatjana
28-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey don't get down!

I went to my initial childminding meeting in Sept and my course, through the local college will start next month.

You can get registered without having done the course first, you just need to make sure you do it in the first 6 months of being registered.

Like others have mentioned do all the other things; policies, first aid, this is what i have done.

Good luck!

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 04:21 PM
i got told today that you cant be registered now till you've done the course?? Isnt that the case??

misst104
28-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I agree about getting started with policies and procedures etc. Its taking me ages and I keep putting off finishing it! If you have everything in place you'll have a great head start :thumbsup: I went to initial intro meeting in August last year and still havn't been given forms to send off to Ofsted. Getting them on saturday on 2nd day of DHC1. It seems like such a long time so I know where you are coming from :(

jo x x x :)

misst104
28-01-2009, 04:26 PM
i got told today that you cant be registered now till you've done the course?? Isnt that the case??

seems thats how it is in bradford local authority (see pp)!

Jo x x x :)

Sammy_lou3108
28-01-2009, 04:26 PM
on the subject *Gulp* of polcies and procedures, sorry if this question is asked loads, but, where did you find them all? Do you just write your own or find them somehwere?

Hebs
28-01-2009, 04:29 PM

i'm sure you can ring Ofsted ask for your forms and CRB forms and see what they say, explain that the next course isn't until..... and see if you can get the ball rolling.

You must however do your first aid before being registered, ring around your local sure start centres and ask if they have any training available, thats how i did mine :thumbsup:

childmind04
28-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes you now need the course before you register, what about doing your first aid and any child protection courses that maybe running locally, you can also usually only register in your area as that is where the money to pay for the course, we have quite a lot of courses running in the evening and they are very good so hopefully your council may have similar running :)

susan

DudleyChildmind
28-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I know it's not an ideal situation and I really feel for you especially as you were hoping to be up and running before that. But, think positive, you will have plenty of time to get things in place and spread the word so by the time you've done the course you will be ready :)

LOOPYLISA
28-01-2009, 05:24 PM
You have 6 months to do your icp and can get registered before this, my pre reg inspector told me this monday, hth :thumbsup:

Adiamond
28-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi sorry to hear this,I was in the same situation as you I was so frustrated,I am doing my course through the NEC college distance learning which I am really enjoying because I am doing it at my own pace.If you look on their website you will find the course on there it costs around £186.I also couldn't get a 1st aid course I found that st johns were running one locally but it was full I left my name and got on through a cancellation.
Hope this helps x x x

Minstrel
28-01-2009, 06:17 PM
You have 6 months to do your icp and can get registered before this, my pre reg inspector told me this monday, hth :thumbsup:

This is true for some places. Unfortunatly not all and some (mine inc) you have to do it first. At least attend it, not necessarily pass the exam.

Pipsqueak
28-01-2009, 06:24 PM
on the subject *Gulp* of polcies and procedures, sorry if this question is asked loads, but, where did you find them all? Do you just write your own or find them somehwere?

Bromley childminding association have templates as do NCMA website.
There should be several on here (put policy into the search bar).

As with any of the templates or samples that you find you need to tweak and tailor them to your setting and practice. Ofsted know if you have just copied them.
don't buy any of ebay either - waste of time and money.

Get your EYFS pack and go from there formulating your policies and procdures

angeldelight
28-01-2009, 06:33 PM
:(

Just been to my childminding introduction today and been told next 10 week course isnt till April! Feel really fed up now as was hoping to be up and running for then and now wont be till July :( :(

Hope its sorted quicker than this

Good luck

Angel xx

Tatjana
28-01-2009, 07:37 PM
It's Ofsted that register you not your local authority, Ofsted will register you as long as you complete the course within 6 months of being registered. What your local authority say is irrevelant.

LOOPYLISA
28-01-2009, 08:25 PM
This is true for some places. Unfortunatly not all and some (mine inc) you have to do it first. At least attend it, not necessarily pass the exam.

Oh right ok, didnt know that, glad i live where i do then ! :D

Miriam
28-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Hiya

I was in a similar position. I first made enquiries about starting my pre-reg course back in October and was told I could go on one in January. I went to the pre-reg ofsted briefing in Jan and was told the course would start the following week, but on the day of the course they phoned me to say it had been put off until May!

I was really unhappy as I actually have a family waiting for me, who I dont want to lose. But I found out that a company called MNT do training (if you type MNT into google it brings up their website) and shows all the training. I dont know where you live but they do the ICP training over two days (Friday and Saturday) or by distance learning. I had a bit of a battle with the local authority but they finally agreed last saturday that it is exactly the same training that they would have provided if I waited until May, and that I can do that as a substitute. So I have booked to do it on Friday and Saturday (you do the course and bring all the material home, then you get a month to study then go back and do the multiple choice tests). So it may be worth you going down that route. Unfortunately though my local authority have refused to fund me, so I am paying £190 for the course.

I have also found a first aid course provider in Reading and have booked to do that course in a couple of weekends time - they are called ABC medical. All of these courses are run at weekends.

Try doing some research on the internet - you will probably find some courses in your area, which would save you waiting until April.

Good luck!

Miriam

CXA
31-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi sorry to hear this,I was in the same situation as you I was so frustrated,I am doing my course through the NEC college distance learning which I am really enjoying because I am doing it at my own pace.If you look on their website you will find the course on there it costs around £186.I also couldn't get a 1st aid course I found that st johns were running one locally but it was full I left my name and got on through a cancellation.
Hope this helps x x x

Hi, I did my course with NEC as well. I attended my pre-reg siminar in September 2008 and my council said there was a 6 month waiting list to start the course and that it would be at least a year to registration as a childminder. Didn't suit me as I had already given up work. I completed the NEC course in less than a month, did my 1st Aid with St John's over 2 weekends and am now waiting for my registration certificate to come through. I'd recommend the NEC course to anyone - the tutors are really helpful and you can do it as quickly or slowly as you like.