PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for Allergations of Abuse against a CM

button68
29-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I have one of these in my Policies/Procedures book which I got off the Bromley Site. It details all the measures I will take to protect myself and then details what I will do if an allergation was brought against me, who I would inform etc....

Now the story ...... :D

My Support CM got in touch with me on sunday to introduce herself etc.. She had had her inspection in last November. She said Ofsted picked her up on the fact that although she had a procedure for Allergations of Abuse against herself/family the procedure did not detail what arrangements would be made for her mindee's whilst the allergation was investigated. Alternative care etc..

Have I explained that well :(

Does

Spangles
29-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Surely they didn't make a fuss about that? Wasn't it just a suggestion? I'm sure that's not even a compulsory policy or procedure is it?

sarah707
29-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Every inspector has their own bugbears I suppose!

Surely, if a child were to make a (let's face it 99% of them are false) allegation against you, the last thing you would be thinking about would be helping the parents find alternative care...

...and the last thing parents would do, under those dreadful circumstances, is trust your judgement any more :eek:

Schnakes
29-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you know, Ive never heard of this. I seem to have done nothign but moan about Ofsted today...BUT!! It does annoy me the way they suddenly have these new conditions and expect everyone to just know about them somehow!!! Why dont they actually contact childminders and say "you must now include the following:" and end all this he-said, she-said confusion!!

Sx

Twinkles
29-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Oh! this drives me MAD! Just when you think you've got everything covered they move the bl***y goal posts. GGrrrr.

buildingblocks
31-01-2008, 08:17 PM
i can't remember what mine says exactly but I am almost sure that if allegations of abuse are made against us we are not allowed to mind - as for alternative care I don't find it for when Ihave a holiday so I am sure I finding care in a situation like this would be the last thing I would be thinking off

miffy
31-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh! this drives me MAD! Just when you think you've got everything covered they move the bl***y goal posts. GGrrrr.

Couldn't have put it better.

Something else to check over at the weekend

Miffy xx

deeb66
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I have one of these in my Policies/Procedures book which I got off the Bromley Site. It details all the measures I will take to protect myself and then details what I will do if an allergation was brought against me, who I would inform etc....

Now the story ...... :D

My Support CM got in touch with me on sunday to introduce herself etc.. She had had her inspection in last November. She said Ofsted picked her up on the fact that although she had a procedure for Allergations of Abuse against herself/family the procedure did not detail what arrangements would be made for her mindee's whilst the allergation was investigated. Alternative care etc..

Have I explained that well :(

Does

If there is an allegation made against you then you are not allowed to continue minding until the investigation is complete.

Surely you can not be expected to sort out alternative care....that is down to the parents......

quite frankly as a parent if I justifiably have a cause of concern I certainly wouldn't want to place my child with someone that the suspected minder has recommended.

To say I am puzzled about Ofsted's comment would be an understatement:eek:

wendywu
03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I know of a couple of childminders who have had complaints made against them, and quite serious ones (unfounded) but they did not have to give up minding while it was looked into.:rolleyes:

I sure ofsted keep putting these little bits of info out just to keep us all scared of them. Its a case of- we have the power and we can close you down. I think its about time wer started complaining about the unprofessional way they conduct themselves and the unconsistent service we get.:clapping:

And they want us to pay £100.00 for it.:angry:

Blaze
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Your registratin isn't always suspended...mine says that if i am able & parents are happy for me to continue to have their children whilst i am under investigation then things continue as per contract. If not then parent's have to find alternative care with immediate effect. I regret in that in these instances deposits will not be refunded..or words to that effect!
Tasha:)

Mollymop
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I didn't realise you had to have this policy. But now you have mentioned it I will make one just in case. Thanks for the insight. XX

susi513
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't believe we have any right to have any sort of procedure for making arrangements for substitute care. I do believe its helpful to provide contact details for parents and where I can, I will take the time to check who (if anyone) has an appropriate vacancy. To save time I could also provide parents with another copy of their permission forms/child record forms to hand to the other carer. But thats it. Its not my place to get involved any more than that. Its the parents right and responsibility to make such choices themselves. . It would not be respecting the family's right to confidentiality to discuss any arrangements, childs needs etc with a colleague without speaking to parent first. And if you then start passing messages back & forth there's too much room for misunderstandings. So far better to leave it all for the parent to do. We are talking about THEIR child after all.

IME parents always choose to take time off work or rope in a grandparent and not contact anyone I've told them has a vacancy anyway. They don't want to book someone they've either never met or previously crossed off their short list when they were first looking for a childminder.

I have got a section for Substitute Childcare, which applies to any time I am unavailable for whatever reason. It basically says that I have good relationships with other local childminders and am willing to provide contact details so parents can make alternative arrangements for times I am closed. But by doing so I am not making a personal recommendation - childminders have different policies & procedures and it is the parents responsibility to ascertain the suitability of any substitute carer for their needs. Also that the fees for the substitute carer are separate to and cannot be deducted from my bills.

Was this actually in the report as an action/recommendation, do you know? If not, IMHO many comments by Ofsted inspectors can be considered personal views which may not necessarily be shared by the next inspector to call. Any comments that don't appear in my written inspection report I feel I am free to ignore or follow as I see fit.

sarah707
04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Any comments that don't appear in my written inspection report I feel I am free to ignore or follow as I see fit.

Very good point Susi! :D