PDA

View Full Version : Cooking meals in morning and reheating - is it safe?

Clever Clogs
28-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi all

Had a quick look to see if my question had already been answered but can't see it. Does anyone do - or know if it is safe to - cook meals in the morning, plate them the reheat in the microwave? It was a suggestion by my mum who has seen me stressed out to the max after the school run, providing an activity and getting dinner over and done by 4.30pm? Not too sure if this would work or be completely unsafe to do?

Thanks
Tracey

Andrea08
28-01-2009, 02:05 PM
It all depends what you want to cook?

if i have ,,,spaghetti bolognese for tea and theres loads left as always i let it cool and put into an old chinese take away tub and fridge it till next day for the mindees,, as long as its piping hot and warmed right through ie stir half way througth re-heating its fine,, well im still ere and not had any problems b4

like i say it depends what you want to cook and what ages are the children?
hope this helps but dont go mad on fancy dinners ive used packet mash when ive run out of spuds and the kids loved it,

Bananabrain
28-01-2009, 02:12 PM
When I first started childminding I was cooking for at least 5 children every evening.And usually doing an activity too!!! It got to the point where All the local childminders were standing on the corner of the road chatting and I was practically running home from school:blush: Feel really silly saying this but I thought that you had to provide a hot meal as a matter of course:blush: I have to admit that I sometimes used to par cook the meal before I left for school because it was the only way I could do it.Now 18m down the line I am a little wiser and only do tea for one littly.It is really tricky juggling tea-time,snacks,nappy changes,cleaning little ones,sorting out arguments between big ones,opening the front door etc.etc.The parents seem to think that at 5 o'clock you can stand and discuss wallpaper:angry: They really have no idea how hard it is being a childminder. Then you've got the ones that phone at 4-30 and say 'he won't be needing tea' when it's already on the table!!!Gosh I feel like all I ever do is moan on this forum,I should really think myself lucky I have a job:blush:

Alibali
28-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Check out the slow cooker threads, bung everything in in the morning, and hep presto dinner is ready when needed. Beef casserole in mine at the moment, tatties and all!!

hello kitty
28-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Just make sure reheated food reaches a temperature of 75 degrees ~ I use a food probe from Lakeland Ltd. :D

sarah707
28-01-2009, 03:01 PM
It's fine to re-heat BUT you must be safe...

Cool the food very quickly (spread it out to speed up the process);

Put it in the fridge between times (don't leave it in the pan);

When you are reheating, probe the food to a minimum of 75c...

Be especially careful when cooking and cooling at risk food such as egg, rice, shell fish etc.

It is also good practice to use 'Safer Food Better Business' and record cooked / reheated food temperatures, so you can show you have done the right thing.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/

Hth

PixiePetal
28-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Check out the slow cooker threads, bung everything in in the morning, and hep presto dinner is ready when needed. Beef casserole in mine at the moment, tatties and all!!

Lamb shanks in mine - no mindees today, family meal. My day off, no hassle. Hope they turn out ok, not done them before but they smell lovely! :thumbsup:

(Bought my slow cooker after reading good reports on here):D

Clever Clogs
28-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all your replies - think I will start using my slow cooker bit more.

Cheers
Tracey

Daftbat
28-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi,

recently did my food hygiene course and sarah is right about re heating. Its ok so long as temp reached at least 70 degrees in thickest part of food. Only thing i would add is that food must only be re heated once.

balloon
28-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi, as the others have said, providing you do so safely reheating food is fine. Minimum reheat temp in England is 75*c as has already been said, but in Scotland its 82*c

http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/PDF/Guide%20to%20Food%20Hygiene.pdf page 24

LOOPYLISA
28-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Best thing ever, mine was on today, and yesterday and the day before that !

Clever Clogs
28-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies - think I will start using my slow cooker bit more.

Cheers
Tracey