PDA

View Full Version : can't believe ive been refused

samgeordie
28-01-2009, 12:59 PM
my letter for excusal from jury service has been refused:angry:

Im so stressed and ended up in tears before, i have no-one to look after my daughter, will need to let 3 sets of parents down and they will struggle to find temporary care at such short notice, nevermind the financial implications.

I took advise from the scottish childminding association but there is not much they can do for me. I called the court and ended up in tears on the phone (then my daughter started crying too in the background cos i was upset), the lady said it was the judge decision and she had shown him the letter, however will talk to him again and get him to call me once court is over for the day. Im dreading speaking to him and feel physically sick about it, how can they not see they are asking the impossible. If i worked full time for an employer id jump at the chance but come on why me!

sarah707
28-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Here are some tips I have picked up about jury service along the way.

Like you I would jump at the chance if I was being paid to do it, but the thought of not earning for 2 weeks and having to reorganise 7 children plus my own 2 makes my blood run cold.

I hope something here helps you...

mandy moo
28-01-2009, 01:10 PM
How ridiculous, But then he is male (and ancient prob'ley)and what do the majority of them know about running houses and looking after children and working from home.
I think you will need a copy of your letter to hand when he calls to night.
I would lay it on thick, that the parents arn not to happy as child care is hard to get in your area (or do the court have a creche you can use)
I would call the citizens advice bureau, see if they can help at all.
what about your insurance people can you claim for loss of earnings?
sorry cant be of more help just a few ideas that came to mind.
thinking of you

venus89
28-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Big hugs x What a nightmare - I hope it goes OK when you talk to him

Carol
28-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Hope you get it sorted.

3 years ago I had to do jury service and I had 7 sets of parents to notify!!!!!
I did do my duty but a case came along where I was called forward for but it could take 3 months in court. I told them of my situation in writing but the judge said he might consider my decline. Luckily he didnt put my name forward I was dreading it. But the scary thing is they could call me again any time. Hubby would love to do it..............done my bit and wouldnt like to do it again.

Good luck

Carol xx

christine e
28-01-2009, 01:39 PM
When my sister was called for jury service she applied to be excused on the grounds that she had four small children and was not living near any family members who could help her. Before writing in she first telephoned and was told that it all dpended on how many of those who were being called asked to be excused and then those asking to be excused were examined to see who's excuse was most deserving. Obviously some people might be ill and needing treatment so they could send it a letter from doctor. My sister was lucky and her excuse was accepted but another time she might not have been so lucky.

Cx

misst104
28-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Good luck for the phone call. I did jury service when I was working in a school a few years ago and was glad of a break from work :D It was really boring though. Wouldn't be pleased if I got a call now as like others and yourself say its hard when youv'e got your own kids and even harder when you are paid to look after someone else's. Hope the judge is understanding and decision goes your way

jo x x x :)

wendywu
28-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Go down the doctors and claim that the worry is giving you depression or anxiety attacks or nervous stress. Claim you cannot cope or sleep with this worry hanging over you.

Pile it on thick.