PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment grading

Mrs.L.C
27-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Im not sure if this has been posted before or not but thought id mention anyway.

IN our area (Northamptonshire) those who have been inspected under the EYFS have been told by Ofsted that their risk assessments need to have a grading 1-5, 1 being hardly or no risk and 5 being severe risk or death.

Just thought id mention and wondered if anyone else has heard this and can explain it more

FizzysFriends
27-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I think (from memory, too tired to get up and look,lol) mine have a rating of risk but low, med, high. Hope thats enough as don't want to re-do them.

sunflower
27-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Mine have high med and low, hope i dont have to change them :eek:

Mrs.L.C
27-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I think (from memory, too tired to get up and look,lol) mine have a rating of risk but low, med, high. Hope thats enough as don't want to re-do them.

Maybe this is what they mean but Iv noticed the risk assessments on the Bromley site dont have this

sarah707
27-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I've got low, medium and high risk on mine... I always understood that to be enough.

If inspectors are saying something different then you can challenge them to show you where it says it in the Eyfs (it doesn't btw).

I know they all have their own interpretations, but how writing a number on a risk assessment helps us to keep children safe is beyond me :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
27-01-2009, 09:01 PM
but how writing a number on a risk assessment helps us to keep children safe is beyond me :rolleyes:

no but it helps their numeracy skills if we get them to read the RA first! :laughing:

sarah707
27-01-2009, 09:21 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

jibberjitz
27-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of devising all my policy's etc and am looking at RA. So my question is, do I now use one with numbers or high/med/low :huh:

Liz

sarah707
27-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of devising all my policy's etc and am looking at RA. So my question is, do I now use one with numbers or high/med/low :huh:

Liz

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Looking forward to seeing a copy of their reply to your question! :D

Mrs.L.C
27-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I think it is low/med/high and the wording been muddled. Makes more sense. But it ahs to b on the risk assessment which is what im asking

tammerisk
29-01-2009, 02:08 PM
had my inspection today and i in northampton i used low medium and high on my outings and i use a dail check sheet which is question bace i.e is the high chair clean is the floor clean e.c.t and then i had to do two risk assemsent for my garden as we put up a fence down on side after removing trees to fine no fence there at all so children couldn't go out there until fence up and then one cause children still can go out there till hubby has cleared the old concreat fence post. and they just explain what i did the put thr word risk and said excape next door e.ct and the action put up fence and then completed i put the date
with the clearing on i haven't put date as it not done yet and i also put under neath that i take the children out every day if wether permits on walks and to the park as ofsted say children need to go out every day.

and i got outstanding in that bit. she said i had plenty
and she had to really chek caus ein sept i had a complaint that i had to many chuildren being cared than i was registered for but it was proved to be unfounded

tammerisk
29-01-2009, 02:09 PM
fogot to add see my post in ofsted inspection i got outstanding in 12 and good in 2 of the 14 standards

Heaven Scent
29-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I used to be the H&S officer in the last setting I worked in and have been on a lot of H&S/Risk Assessment courses and yes grading risks frm 1-5 is one way of doing a risk assessment and so is grading risks as low medium and high and so is just identifying a risk and stating how you will handle it and so long as how you are going to handle it is satifactory in solving or significantly reducing and controlling it then that is enough - you just need to keep it clear an concise. I looks to me as though your inspector was on a course recently where they only demonstrated one method and she is incapable of thinking outside the box. - It is a matter of preference and is up to you.