PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and ofsted pre-reg

Mollymop
29-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Just wondered if anyone can tell me whether OFsted ask if you are a smoker or not on the pre reg visit.
I am a smoker and I go outside and won't smoke when I have minded children but I was wondering what to say to them if and when they ask.
I don't want to lie, but then will I be digging myself a hole by saying I do?

By the way I have my pre- reg on Friday, so wish me luckXX:)

Minnie Minx
29-01-2008, 06:53 PM
can't help you regarding the smoking issue but i do want to send you lots of good luck for friday :)

xx

Mollymop
29-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Theresa:thumbsup:

Minnie Minx
29-01-2008, 06:55 PM
i should imagine that as it's now illegal to smoke in a work place they may not even ask you :)

xx

sarah707
29-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Air the house... spray febreze everywhere... say no, nobody smokes in the house... don't lie, massage the truth. It would open a can of worms (in my humble opinion) that isn't worth opening!

Good luck on Friday! :D

nat1664
29-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Good advice from Sarah

I said that i smoked on my pre reg, she then was asking me all sorts of questions, so id just keep quite ha

The funny thing is that when i got my docs report, he had put down that I quit smoking 2 months before, although thats just what i told him, but what im trying to say is that i needent had bothered to say any thing in the 1st place :)

berkschick
29-01-2008, 07:48 PM
They didnt ask me if I smoked at my pre reg. But I dont, nor does hubby so there wouldnt have been any "hint" of it if you know what I mean!

I wouldnt offer the information to them, just answer honestly if they ask.

Good luck for Friday!

emler
29-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Good luck for Friday!

Emler x

button68
29-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, I was asked if I smoked and if DH smoked (we don't)

HTH

muminamini
29-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe add a Smoking POlicy to your documentation stating that no one smokes in the house when minded children are present and then you can refer them to that?

I hope your visit goes really well! My inspector got lost on the way to my house and left their lap top behind so that put me at ease! he he
x

kaz1501
29-01-2008, 09:20 PM
At my pre-reg the inspector simply stated that smoking was not permitted around the children - she didn't ask if I smoked. She also stated that alcohol was not to be in the house when minded children were there (just have to drink it all then :rolleyes: lol) and that if I had children the next day I shouldn't drink alcohol the night before. No questions, she just made these statements.

Hope that helps
Karen

ruby
29-01-2008, 09:53 PM
can't help as we don't smoke just wanted to say good luck for Friday

cathy and rachel

manjay
29-01-2008, 09:54 PM
At my pre-reg the inspector simply stated that smoking was not permitted around the children - she didn't ask if I smoked. She also stated that alcohol was not to be in the house when minded children were there (just have to drink it all then :rolleyes: lol) and that if I had children the next day I shouldn't drink alcohol the night before. No questions, she just made these statements.

Hope that helps
Karen

OMG I had better put the wine away!!

amanda xx

Twinkles
29-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Hope that helps
Karen

What the heck are we supposed to do then?? Empty the wine rack every day?? Not allowed to have a glass of wine with dinner now ?? That is just ridiculous.

sarah707
29-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm drinking too....! Oh heck... best hide the wine!

And no alcohol in the house!! :eek:

I think your inspector has lost her grip on reality Kaz! :laughing:

Minnie Minx
29-01-2008, 10:21 PM
i agree sarah, i can't see how ofsted can make us pour away our alcohol, as long as it's safely out of the way of the children and we're not drinking throughout the day there's nothing they can do. Blooming heck they'll have us living like nuns next!!!

xx

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 10:26 PM
She also stated that alcohol was not to be in the house when minded children were there (just have to drink it all then :rolleyes: and that if I had children the next day I shouldn't drink alcohol the night before. No questions, she just made these statements.

Hope that helps
Karen

WOOOOTTTTT??? Where does it say that we cannot even drink the night before..... do they tell nursery and school staff this... I think not.
Phooey to them :censored: :censored:
Blimey, OFSTED are trying to dictate our lives not just our blood y business.:censored: :censored:

:angry: :angry: :censored:

That statement has made me really bleeping cross......

As for smoking I had a stong no smoking policy (plus some signs up) I said that I smoked but never have done in the house and never around the children. I got my statement in before she had chance to go further with it so it was end of conversation.

mamapink
29-01-2008, 10:36 PM
hi

I am currently drinking a glass of wine at moment too!:laughing:
do the ofstead inspectors refrain from a drink the evening before a inspection

xx:)

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 10:38 PM
hi

I am currently drinking a glass of wine at moment too!:laughing:
do the ofstead inspectors refrain from a drink the evening before a inspection

That obviously means then that you may possibly be dangerous and incapable of caring for children tomorrow - :idea: bad woman.....;)

Enjoy - I;ve got a cuppa tea!!!

mamapink
29-01-2008, 10:46 PM
i will soak up my wine with a large piece of cake

will i be ok then do you think?

Trouble
29-01-2008, 11:20 PM
oust is better for smells;) ;)

kaz1501
30-01-2008, 06:40 AM
:laughing:
well, I hope you all enjoyed your wine last night :p
I just assumed that this was the norm & that everyone had been told the same (about alcohol in the house etc) I remember thinking I'll just lock it in the shed!!!!!!!
She did say that it was because a childminder had been drunk while minding a child over night (she wasn't reg to do that tho) and the child drowned in a bath.

One good thing - the wine chills nicely out in the shed :D

have a great day everyone
Karen

only 31 days left at work :clapping:

mamapink
30-01-2008, 09:23 AM
hi good morning

that is terrible about the little one in the bath,

I have a quick question
In my kitchen I have a larder cupboard all drink up the top high but on the outside i only have a hook and eye lock placed at adult height ,I also have a gate to the kitchen but would i need something more childproof ?

i am going through the registration process at the moment

Mollymop
30-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks fo rht ereplies, I think it's best not to mention I smoke. I don't smoke in the house though, so i won't worry too much about the smells. I will just make sure I have my last ciggy a few hours before she arrives. XX

Blaze
30-01-2008, 02:35 PM
hi good morning

that is terrible about the little one in the bath,

I have a quick question
In my kitchen I have a larder cupboard all drink up the top high but on the outside i only have a hook and eye lock placed at adult height ,I also have a gate to the kitchen but would i need something more childproof ?

i am going through the registration process at the moment

Personally i would stick a mothercare multiprurpose lock on ...just to be on the safe side as far as OFSTED etc are concerned!
Tasha:)

susi513
30-01-2008, 02:57 PM
DH is a smoker. I am not. So my morning routine starts with removing his ashtrays, washing them and filling them with bicarb of soda and putting them all away. And he's careless with his lighters so I have to check for them too. :mad: Windows open to air the room. Air sprays are not enough on their own. Even the good ones.

I have a non-smoking policy that simply states I am a non-smoker but dh smokes. He does not smoke in the presence of minded children and never smokes in the playroom.

The problem I've had is that despite all these steps to ensure children are not exposed to dh's smoke - I've had 2 parents comment that their child smelled of cigarettes. And I couldn't smell anything. The first time I think must have been because I left the boys jacket over the back of the settee all day. This was right behind the chair DH sat in to use pc and was probably in line of his cigarette smoke although we didn't go back in the room all day and the child was never exposed to the smoke.

I've been ever so careful not to use any room he's smoked in in the same day and to keep mindees possessions in the smokefree rooms. But it happened again recently. The child wasn't exposed to smoke at all and didn't set foot in a room that had been smoked in. But DH had sat with her and helped her with a bit of gluing. So only possible source of the smell was transferance from his clothes to hers.

So if you smoke, would it be worth having some clothes you wear for childminding that you never wear while smoking? Think about what you're wearing if you nip outside for a smoke while they're sleeping. DH thinks if he smokes out of an open window or he's outside he doesn't smell when he puts out the cigarette. He's wrong. :(

kelly76x
30-01-2008, 08:27 PM
well we have turned our garage into a pub lol good job the inspector never went in there she looked at the door and i showed her it was locked and key kept out of reach.

hubby did it last summer for the footie bar, optics, & full size pool table we live in there weekends lol

Mollymop
30-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Lucky you! You're own bar- I would live out there too if it were me

manjay
30-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a wine rack full of wine in the kitchen, my inspector never said a word. My dh (also registered) also smokes, always outside and never when we have children on the prorerty. We told the inspector and she just said "fine"

amanda xx

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Just an update, I told the inspector the truth and that was that. She just asked how many I smoke and I told her I am giving up and that I never smoke around the children and she was ok with it.

Thanks for all your support and advice XX

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
:D
Just an update, I told the inspector the truth and that was that. She just asked how many I smoke and I told her I am giving up and that I never smoke around the children and she was ok with it.

Thanks for all your support and advice XX

You are welcome and and glad it went ok.

Think I've come up with a solution to the alcohol thingy - baking! Yes baking - add alcohol (copious amounts) to your cooking (obviously not the mindees food) - Steak and (plenty of ) Ale, Chicken in Red/White/Both (full bottle) Wine, Sherry (again a full bottle) Trifle, Brandy Butter/Sauce over everything.....:D :D

sarah707
02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Think I've come up with a solution to the alcohol thingy - baking! Yes baking - add alcohol (copious amounts) to your cooking (obviously not the mindees food) - Steak and (plenty of ) Ale, Chicken in Red/White/Both (full bottle) Wine, Sherry (again a full bottle) Trifle, Brandy Butter/Sauce over everything.....:D :D

Vik I am worried about you. You seem to be talking about alcohol an awful lot. Is there a problem you need to discuss with us? Should we be referring you to Alcoholics Anonymous? Or setting up our own branch... like the 'fatties of the forum' with you as the founding member... please take care of yourself! :laughing:

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
lol Sarah !! Haha

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Vik I am worried about you. You seem to be talking about alcohol an awful lot. Is there a problem you need to discuss with us? Should we be referring you to Alcoholics Anonymous? Or setting up our own branch... like the 'fatties of the forum' with you as the founding member... please take care of yourself! :laughing:

Lol:laughing: :laughing:

Actually I have discovered talking about it is much better than actually drinking it, less expense, no chance of a hangover.
I haven't drunk a drop since the start of December 07 when I had an allergic reaction to WKD (irn bru) and wine....:D