PDA

View Full Version : Sharing, playing nicely, doing as told....

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 05:39 PM
...all things that HAVEN'T happened today :censored: It's just been one of those days (and it's only Tuesday...!!!!) Still, tomorrow is another day, and surely things will improve (if I keep telling myself that, it's bound to come true...isn't it?)

How do you ladies combat the area of sharing nicely? I have plenty of toys to go round, alot of them are doubles, but still it doesn't seem enough. We even had beginnings of WWIII at the dining table today, as one of the children decided she wanted a plate (just a plain red plate) another child had (she had exactly the same but in pink - her fave colour!) I just can't win....

Also, have you got any tips on tidying/putting away? Is there a way I can make it a fun activity? When I ask the children to pack away, they all seem to suddenly be ill. One of them said she couldn't cos her legs were hurting. I just said "well it's a good job you need to use your arms then"...hee hee. Then another time I got "I don't have to pack away here - you do it for me" - well, I'm not going down THAT route. I won't let them get another toy out until they've packed away ones that they've finished playing with - that's not wicked/wrong of me surely?

Hels xx

miffy
27-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Hope you're OK?

Some days you just feel it's hard slog from start to finish!

Sharing toys is one of the hardest things for kids to learn. How old are the ones you're looking after? I don't think there are any short cuts and you just have to keep reinforcing it. You could play games with them to help with the idea of turn-taking or allow short goes (timed) with a toy and then pass it on.

Tidying up time - we do that at certain times of the day and the children know that we tidy up before we go out or up to school. You could put some music on so that they know when the music plays it's time to tidy up or give a 5min warning beforehand.

HTH's

Miffy xx

sarah707
27-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Poor you! sounds like one of those days.

I had one last week and it just didn't go right from the start.

Sometimes you just have to hope tomorrow is better.

So long as you stay focussed and positive, praise the good and are totally consistent, you will win eventually.

Hope tomorrow is better! :D

mandy moo
27-01-2009, 06:53 PM
...all things that HAVEN'T happened today :censored: It's just been one of those days (and it's only Tuesday...!!!!) Still, tomorrow is another day, and surely things will improve (if I keep telling myself that, it's bound to come true...isn't it?)

How do you ladies combat the area of sharing nicely? I have plenty of toys to go round, alot of them are doubles, but still it doesn't seem enough. We even had beginnings of WWIII at the dining table today, as one of the children decided she wanted a plate (just a plain red plate) another child had (she had exactly the same but in pink - her fave colour!) I just can't win....

Also, have you got any tips on tidying/putting away? Is there a way I can make it a fun activity? When I ask the children to pack away, they all seem to suddenly be ill. One of them said she couldn't cos her legs were hurting. I just said "well it's a good job you need to use your arms then"...hee hee. Then another time I got "I don't have to pack away here - you do it for me" - well, I'm not going down THAT route. I won't let them get another toy out until they've packed away ones that they've finished playing with - that's not wicked/wrong of me surely?

Hels xx

Know wot you mean Helen, I get this as well , so I too will not get anything else out, until what they've been playing with, has been put away.
this is because, I dont have a dedicated play room ( as much as i would like one,) and simply my living room is not big enough to have lots out at the same time.

venus89
27-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I had one of those days today too :( . i don't feel like a very good childminder tonight!! And my first one was dropped off 10 mins early (which makes a big difference to me at 7.20 as I'm still eating my breakfast then :blush: ) and the last one was picked up 45 minutes late :angry: . Some days just are difficult. Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hope you're OK?

Some days you just feel it's hard slog from start to finish!

Sharing toys is one of the hardest things for kids to learn. How old are the ones you're looking after? I don't think there are any short cuts and you just have to keep reinforcing it. You could play games with them to help with the idea of turn-taking or allow short goes (timed) with a toy and then pass it on.

Tidying up time - we do that at certain times of the day and the children know that we tidy up before we go out or up to school. You could put some music on so that they know when the music plays it's time to tidy up or give a 5min warning beforehand.

HTH's

Miffy xx

Yeah I'm fine...totally bald now where I've pulled all my hair out tho' :laughing:

I'm going to get an egg timer type thing - why didn't I think of that? They have one at the soft play I take the kids to and it works well.

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I had one of those days today too :( . i don't feel like a very good childminder tonight!! And my first one was dropped off 10 mins early (which makes a big difference to me at 7.20 as I'm still eating my breakfast then :blush: ) and the last one was picked up 45 minutes late :angry: . Some days just are difficult. Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Shall we scream together? Ready? 1, 2, 3....... AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! There, that's better - how about you? ;) Those few mins do make a difference, but at least you weren't just out of the shower or something eh? :laughing:

I'm going to have a glass of wine - here's to us both having a great day tomorrow - cheers xx

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Know wot you mean Helen, I get this as well , so I too will not get anything else out, until what they've been playing with, has been put away.
this is because, I dont have a dedicated play room ( as much as i would like one,) and simply my living room is not big enough to have lots out at the same time.

Exactly, Mandy - I'm the same as you, no dedicated play room. I try to keep all the toys etc in the same room, but sometimes we have an overspill. I don't mind them having the toys out, obviously, but if they then leave them and move on to something else, I find it quite annoying (are childminders allowed to be cross...?) But like you say, there's simply not enough space (I wish there was!) and there's no way I'm going to tidy up after them, cos I think they'll lose all respect for me and I'll become a dogsbody, which I definitely do not want, thank you very much. And anyway, they have to learn don't they?

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Poor you! sounds like one of those days.

I had one last week and it just didn't go right from the start.

Sometimes you just have to hope tomorrow is better.

So long as you stay focussed and positive, praise the good and are totally consistent, you will win eventually.

Hope tomorrow is better! :D

Sarah....I can't imagine you EVER having a bad day ;) but now I realise maybe you aren't superhuman after all :D

We did part on good terms, we were friends again - and like you say let's hope tomorrow is better :)

xx