PDA

View Full Version : Assistant AWOL!

Mummits
27-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I seem to have lost my assistant!

She is supposed to come on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays unless otherwise agreed to help with making tea etc for the after-schoolers. Three weeks ago she didn't come on the Tuesday and then said she had misunderstood (I had actually said I wouldn't need her on the Friday), then the next week she was ill - fair enough I guess, but she didn't contact me until after she was supposed to be here and even then got her mother to ring, so I was a bit sceptical about whether she was avoiding being asked about her illness. But she did come last Tuesday, no show on Thursday, no messages or anything, we had already agreed she was not needed on Friday and now she has not turned up today.

I can't decide whether to phone and ask what is going on, or just to drop her a note saying don't bother to come back. My husband says I can't "sack" her without hearing her side of the story - but she is self employed anyway - I'm not sure if I am obliged to give her any sort of chance. Anyone know how you go about unregistering an assistant - I assume I need to let OFSTED know, but I haven't applied for extra numbers or anything so its not as if I need her to run the business.

loocyloo
27-01-2009, 05:08 PM
sorry, no advice, just :eek: once i have my assistant, it would throw me completely not have her here!

i think you do need to ask her why? but maybe give her a written warning?

(and sort of off topic ... how do you deal with her being self employed? i assume its up to her to tell the tax office?)

good luck xxx

Mummits
27-01-2009, 05:24 PM
s

(and sort of off topic ... how do you deal with her being self employed? i assume its up to her to tell the tax office?)

good luck xxx

We agreed she would be self employed as her tax and NI were complicated by the fact that she has a weekend job and also does a lot of babysitting and casual childcare, so I am a not her main employer . I put in her appointment letter that she would need to be self employed and be liable for her own tax etc. I thought I would maybe produce a copy of the letter if there was any query on that point when I do my own tax return.

ajs
27-01-2009, 05:39 PM
and do you pay her minimum wage

i am looking into an assistant but don't think i could sfford to pay minimum wage if she is self employed can you get round that

Mummits
27-01-2009, 05:43 PM
and do you pay her minimum wage

i am looking into an assistant but don't think i could sfford to pay minimum wage if she is self employed can you get round that

Yes I do, but I don't know if you necessarily have to. I was told I could have her self employed because of her other jobs, but I got the impression the revenue woufd have insisted on her being an employee otherwise.

loocyloo
27-01-2009, 11:53 PM
thanks,

i have said i will pay the minimum wage, but its for such a short amount of time, it hardly seems worth making a fuss about it! i guess, if she is self emplyed, and signed something to that effect, then its up to her what she does??

xxx

Mummits
01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
My lost assistant has reappeared! She says she went for an interview that took longer than expected, didn't have my phone number so couldn't contact me and has been SCARED to get in touch in case I was angry! For the record, I am so not a scary person. Anyway, I have said she can start again next week - but if she starts this sort of thing again I will have to find someone more reliable.

mandy moo
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
My lost assistant has reappeared! She says she went for an interview that took longer than expected, didn't have my phone number so couldn't contact me and has been SCARED to get in touch in case I was angry! For the record, I am so not a scary person. Anyway, I have said she can start again next week - but if she starts this sort of thing again I will have to find someone more reliable.
Glad she turned up, was the interveiw overseas..:)
She sounds quite young, if she is I guess it is scary having to apologuise as to where you have been.
Hope shes got your number in her mobile now:)