PDA

View Full Version : Phew - Chinese New Year all done

Rasharoon
26-01-2009, 08:47 PM
.... for another year. Majority of my mindees are before/after school so last week, managed to get them all to colour in an animal relating to their year of birth. Made a couple of lanterns and coloured in some bunting and hung it up.
When they arrived this morning, I gave them a card with their name in Chinese.
Last week, I called my local Chinese Restaurant and explained my job and asked if I could buy some Fortune cookies. Went in on Friday (along with a picture of the crafts we'd done), and they gave me 24 cookies for free (fab).
I cook tea for 2 girls so today cooked a chicken chow mein from scratch (which I thought was nice) and we had some prawn crackers and prawn toasts with it. For dessert, found a recipe for Sesame Coated Pineapple Fritters which turned out well and were yummy. We tried using chop sticks but didn't quite happen!!
None of the children were really interested in anything we did but I survived and got through it and managed to get a display board done so of course, have taken pictures!!
Hope you all had a good one.
x

miffy
26-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Sounds as though you've had a lot of fun

We've done a few bits today and will do some more tomorrow :)

Miffy xx

marian
26-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Sounds good:thumbsup:

We have done some chinese dragons and some paper plates which we painted in red and gold and then put their names in chinese on with 'gung ho fat choy!' at the top.

Marian x

nell57
26-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Well done.

We're having our celebration tomorrow, similar to yours:panic:

Were meant to do Australia Day today, as part of next steps/interests on a mindees obs, but parent cancelled today, so will postpone that until he comes next time.

sammy
26-01-2009, 10:23 PM
i read somewhere that chinese new year is celebrated for 3 days, so i hope you havnt decided to relax yet!! haha

I made a chinese breakfast - im so lucky as i have a chinese supermarket near me, so i popped in there got a free newspaper, and covered the table in it as the chinese writing looked good. then i made them a placemat with there name in chinese, with some chinese decorations, dragon and the year they were born and which animal it represented, along with there photo (on all one placemat) then i put chinese decorated bowls, chopsticks and chinese spoons, along with fortune cookies with them, then i bought some dragons that pull out and stuck blu tac on the placemat and then stuck the sticks of the dragon into it. looked pretty cool - oh yes and best of all i bought some chinese bank notes and i put a few next to there plate - they all thought they were rich as they had 3 thousand pound each!! haha (i bought a pack of 100 i think for 60p, so we will be using them for ages!!)

Also took them to the chinese supermarket and had a look at the live crabs, lobsters and oysters - they remembered the smell of the place most (it must have been the fresh fish)

Anyway that was that, but will continue to make lanterns all week!!! as have different children.

angeldelight
26-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Well done sounds like you had heaps of fun

Angel xx

mum2two
26-01-2009, 10:31 PM
We made lanterns this afternoon - with lots of glitter...!! I hate the stuff! Had chow mein & prawn crackers for lunch, and afterschoolers drew a picture relating to the animal for their year of birth.

Making chinese dragons tomorrow, and lucky envelopes.

I think it goes on for about a week. 10 days even maybe - can't quite remember, hence why I didn't do too much last week.

childmind04
27-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I know i am doing it all week :)