PDA

View Full Version : Intense competition for spaces in my area

Ripeberry
26-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi, feeling a bit down, a childminder 2 miles down the road has registered her sister as an assistant (they are both older mums) and they are trying to push out all the other competion by offering mad hours 6am until 9pm and Sat/Sun and covering at least 2 schools.
So really for the new childminders around here we just can't compete can we? I suppose i could call myself homely as i would have a maximum of 4 under 8's and not a house full to the brim!
It's just so competitive down here at the moment and it was SO quiet for years!
In the end its up to the parents to decide, just got to keep my fingers crossed :panic:

miffy
26-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Not everyone will want a setting full to the brim of children if that is what these ladies are offering

Perhaps you need to market yourself as being able to give lots of individual attention because you have fewer children.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
26-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I would personally choose a childminder my child and i felt comfortable with.

Try not to worry as you are providing a service that they don't...less children, so more attention for your mindees!

PixiePetal
26-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I say I am a 'home from home environment', because that is what I offer.:)

I choose to only be registered for 4 under 8's. Some parents prefer this.

There should be room for all sorts.

singlewiththree
26-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm only taking on one baby with my DD aged 2 so I have made sure I advertise the fact there is only 2 children in the day time.

I think providing you advertise your strengths, basically some parents choose childminders as they are smaller and might want to keep that. I know the parents who came to me came from a larger group and wanted smaller.

There are loads of minders here too and only 2 nurseries which are full. I'm just hoping the birth rate is increasing as it seems to be. Either that or I'm just aware of all the pregnant bellies around atm.