PDA

View Full Version : Seen this in the news, might affect English CMs

Pudding Girl
26-01-2009, 03:08 PM
http://news.aol.co.uk/400000-to-access-childrens-data/article/2009012607502786412211

What do you think about it all?

sarah707
26-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Something else for somebody to lose on a CD in a pub car park :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
26-01-2009, 04:01 PM
OH we had the information about this home from school last year. The theory is good, the worry is that just about every tom, dick and harry will have access to the information. Both public and private sectors.

I guess though if you child has a normal passage through their education the information held is nothing that is available anyway. I think the biggest concern is one of confidentiality if the are issues.

Also of course what Sarah has highlighted the disc in the back of the car or the bag left on the train?:( :(

mum2two
26-01-2009, 04:16 PM
OMG!! :eek: Like other have said - after recent issues, why would they consider this.

Someone who shouldn't will get their hands on this info, and then god knows who will have all the personal info on our kids!!

Why on earth has it been suggested...?

Pipsqueak
26-01-2009, 04:25 PM
We got told about this on our safeguarding level 2 last year.
I can see the principle behind it - so that no child gets "lost" in the system and the flags can be raised across the board if necessary - so from a safeguarding working in the childcare sector I can see the good idea behind it,

From a parental point of view I am not happy about my childs details without my permission. Yes what about security issues and those little lapses?

kindredspirits
26-01-2009, 04:40 PM
gosh, what a handy way of accessing data on 16 and 17 year olds so that a few years later you can use their details for major money fraud. :rolleyes:
actually, its really p'eed me off - i don't want my sons name and address available to anyone, nor do i want my details available to any tom dick or harry.
victoria climbie didn't slip through the net, did she? she was known to social services, known to be at risk, but not actually helped, so i don't see the point of this at all.

ajs
26-01-2009, 04:46 PM
as long as the details are encrypted there should not be a securtiy issue

my hubby works for the nhs connecting for health which is the nhs equivalent of this
according to him you can opt out of having your details on line but then aren't elegible for any nhs treatments ie ambulance or emergency care
i wonder if opting out as a parent may stop the children being elegible for anything in the same way

kindredspirits
26-01-2009, 05:08 PM
according to the article you can't opt out! :rolleyes: i don't mind some details, i just think that putting name, dob and address together for so many people to access is dangerous!

Pudding Girl
26-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Something else for somebody to lose on a CD in a pub car park :rolleyes:

Quite! :eek:

miffy
26-01-2009, 05:39 PM
So, if I read that properly, our details will be on there too?

Miffy xx

marion123
26-01-2009, 06:14 PM
So, if I read that properly, our details will be on there too?

Miffy xx

yeah very worrying not good atall :panic:

Trouble
26-01-2009, 06:16 PM
gosh, what a handy way of accessing data on 16 and 17 year olds so that a few years later you can use their details for major money fraud. :rolleyes:
actually, its really p'eed me off - i don't want my sons name and address available to anyone, nor do i want my details available to any tom dick or harry.
victoria climbie didn't slip through the net, did she? she was known to social services, known to be at risk, but not actually helped, so i don't see the point of this at all.

i totally agree with you:angry: :angry:

FizzysFriends
26-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I will be applying for both mine and DD's details to be shielded. They can use our names and DOB but address and school are nobody elses business.

Donkey
26-01-2009, 06:33 PM
this has been trialed in sheffield for a long long time

I understand the theory behind it, it depends on how its managed.

cm's will have access to it via a network person

we shall see

sue
26-01-2009, 07:17 PM
hate the idea of my children details on a dateabase that god knows who has access too!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: going to try and opt out with address etc looking into tomorrow!!!!!

FizzysFriends
26-01-2009, 07:19 PM
hate the idea of my children details on a dateabase that god knows who has access too!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: going to try and opt out with address etc looking into tomorrow!!!!!

Let me know if you find out how to opt out. I want to opt out of school as well as address.

misst104
26-01-2009, 07:21 PM

will be interesting to hear how uou get on with that. Let us know.

Jo x x x

FizzysFriends
26-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I have just emailed the people in charge of the list asking for directions on how to get details sheilded, will post the reply if/when I get one.

Heaven Scent
26-01-2009, 07:41 PM
All of our childrens details are out there all over the place - no matter what we feel about it. No matter what they do in the course of a day is recorded on a data base somewhere. It is probably only us who have to be so careful with how we store their information. Schools, Out of school clubs, Football teams, dance clubs etc etc etc and a good many of them are not regulated and probably do not realise that they shouldn't store this information and if they do how they should handle it. This is just the tip of a very very large ice berg and its all very frightening really.

FizzysFriends
26-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes the details are out there but only the school and Drs know my address, Drs are hot on confidentiality (sp?) and I have warned the school about data protection etc. Everyone else is given an address that im contactable at but thats about it, even down to the little things like ebay, paypal, swimming club have contactable address but seems like in a few weeks our details will be available on the internet for £1 a go.

Minstrel
27-01-2009, 09:58 AM
All except polititons and celebrities children! Concerns over their safety and protection.

Erm excuse me but what about every one elses children, or don't we count?

sue
27-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Let me know if you find out how to opt out. I want to opt out of school as well as address.

Hi found that it will be difficult and only children of real harm will be able to get there address protected (headteacher of my child school told me) just can't see why they need every child data in one place its got more of a change of being miss used over the coming years!!!!!!!!! :angry: And those children who are in danger (god forbid) this system would not have protected them as all services were involved!!!!!!!!!!!. l could go on (just feel that we as parents are becoming overlook and its the goverment taking over and not sure if the left hand is knowing what the right hand is doing!!!!!!!! :angry:
that it growling over feel better now.

FizzysFriends
27-01-2009, 08:06 PM
So the child has to have come to some harm? Or can I argue that my child could come to some harm? Im going to argue it anyway, might not get me anywhere but I can't not try.