PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER question re assistants!!!

loocyloo
26-01-2009, 09:24 AM
hello!

what happens if your assistant is ill and can't work? ( in that my prosepective assistant was meant to be popping over this morning, but has d&v so isn't coming! (good, i don't want it!) but what if i needed her to work?

i guess if you know if advance, then you have to cancel a child (or however many you are over your numbers by) ?

what about asking a friend (not registered) to come and help in an emergency, if it is whilst assistants working hours?

does any one have someone else registered as an assistant to cover emergencies? i was wondering about my mum, and hope i never have to use her!

thank you!

loocyloo xxx

sarah707
26-01-2009, 09:30 AM
My understanding is that you can't replace an assistant with a friend if the friend is not insured, first aid trained and CRBd.

You would just need to cancel the children in the same way as you would if you were ill :(

Pauline
26-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes I would say that you would have to cancel some of the children, caring on your own for the maximum you would be allowed as a single childminder.

We have a policy and procedure for such an event saying that we will do all we can, such as ringing other childminders to see if they have emergency spaces, phoning the parent who is due to collect their child the soonest to see if they can come earlier etc. same if illness occurs while the children are here.

Before taking on an assistant you really need to know that they can be reliable! :)

loocyloo
26-01-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks!

thats what i thought!

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-01-2009, 12:45 PM
nothing stops you registering your mum and friend as assistants. If you are not leaving the children with them they would only have to complete the CRB and not do the first aid course. They could be your emergency back up.

What about other childminders as your back up in case? That way the parents won't be inconvenienced and less likely to leave.

loocyloo
26-01-2009, 03:05 PM
nothing stops you registering your mum and friend as assistants. If you are not leaving the children with them they would only have to complete the CRB and not do the first aid course. They could be your emergency back up.

What about other childminders as your back up in case? That way the parents won't be inconvenienced and less likely to leave.

i've just sent the forms to my mum LOL !!! i'll ask my friend if she would apply too for me!!!

my assistant will be only working one afternoon as week for me, and typically, that is the one afternoon, that my emergency back ups are all full, as are the other childminders i would consider using! there are obviously no afterschool activities that day in our area !!!

thanks x

cheeky monkeys
26-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Ofsted will question you why you have so many people registered as your assistant.

I have one full time assistant, one part time assistant and a friend for back up. I had to clarify the role of each and every one of us, plus make it clear that all 4 of us did not work at the same time, as then you come under a different catagory.. not a childminder.

It can be done. Good luck

loocyloo
27-01-2009, 01:28 PM
thanks, i will just register my mum as emergency cover! strangely she seems quite keen !!! didn't think she would!

cheeky monkeys
27-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Good old mums... That's what they are there for.... Wait til it's our turn!!!X

Pauline
28-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Good old mums... That's what they are there for.... Wait til it's our turn!!!X

No chance. When I retire it will be for good! :laughing:

cheeky monkeys
29-01-2009, 09:53 PM
No chance. When I retire it will be for good! :laughing:

I'd better retire soon then!!! But I don't feel old enough too??