PDA

View Full Version : Deflated.......................

Michelle M
25-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Feeling a bit deflated one of my parents, I care of 2 of her LO’s one is 15 month and the other is 2 ½, she is pregnant again and due in April, she was giving up work for maternity leave in April, just got an email saying it will be from 13th March :) I think I was in denial that she was pregnant lol. Their monthly invoice works out roughly at £600 a month, plus overtime this month £700. Luckily she isn’t leaving completely they children will come to me I asked for 8 hours a week, for both of them, and then I will hold the space open for the new baby in 2010, but my god I am going to miss that money coming in. I have never had this before, as I have only been minding for 18 months or so, and my other mindee is a part timer. Its going to be tough going to pay bills etc I know its only for a year, but a year is a long time. I think I am going to have to cut back on taking the children out so much and am going to have to ask parents to pay for outings.

Feel much better now I have a moan well not a moan but you know what I mean :)

Michelle x

madasahatter
25-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Could you not offer some short term minding in between. Our local social services/ children's centres etc are often looking for childminders to help provide family support. Then there is your local college, they will have students who are on short term courses as well as longer ones.
I'm sure there will be others on here with more good advice.

rickysmiths
26-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I know how you feel, I had a full timer leave in dec and this month she has returened for one short day a week. both will come back for more and loner days in Aug.

I have a teacher who noly wants one day and has now asked for two for a short while. Came along unexpectedly. You never know whats around the corner. Make sure you have a good lot of details on your CIS web entry and keep it up to date so you stay near the top of the list for your area.

Good luck.:laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
26-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Keep your options open for temporary mindees/short term. I have filled in like that before, you never know what is about. Chin up:)

(You are up late rickysmiths :laughing: :laughing:

I am up because I have just got a Jane buggy from ebay:thumbsup:

with car seat, 2 cosy toes,raincover and changing bag. Very pleased.

Off to bed now, new mindees in the morning :D )

rickysmiths
26-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Well done Pixie Petal wondered why you were up so late. ! My excuse was my accounts!:( Got them to the accountant at about 9ish!!!!!!!! :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

angeldelight
26-01-2009, 08:00 AM
I have had that happen in the past and it is a lot of money when you are used to it - you live to your means dont you

Maybe you could get some part timers in like the others say ?

A year will fly by though you just see

Angel xx

yummymummy
26-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Don't mean to put an even bigger dampener on you but are you sure she will be going back to work with 3 children?
I have twice held a place on lessened hours through maternity leave only to be told that the mum isn't returning to work after all and the other one just worked the three months so she didn't have to pay back any monies and then left but of course they didn't tell me in advance, just the minimum amount of notice :angry:
Sure this won't happen to you but just be aware and try to protect your income!

Michelle M
26-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Could you not offer some short term minding in between. Our local social services/ children's centres etc are often looking for childminders to help provide family support. Then there is your local college, they will have students who are on short term courses as well as longer ones.
I'm sure there will be others on here with more good advice.

Our local Childrens Centre is attached to a School and the have a breakfast club and nursery already. :)

Michelle M
26-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I have had that happen in the past and it is a lot of money when you are used to it - you live to your means dont you

Maybe you could get some part timers in like the others say ?

A year will fly by though you just see

Angel xx

Yes I live beyond my means :laughing: only kidding, got quite a few debts (long story) so paying off them and mortgage has just gone up to over £700 a month :eek:

miffy
26-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Hope you can find some short term minding to fill the gap - it's such a lot of income to lose.

Will be good in the long term though if she does go back to work and you have all the children

Miffy xx

Michelle M
26-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't mean to put an even bigger dampener on you but are you sure she will be going back to work with 3 children?
I have twice held a place on lessened hours through maternity leave only to be told that the mum isn't returning to work after all and the other one just worked the three months so she didn't have to pay back any monies and then left but of course they didn't tell me in advance, just the minimum amount of notice :angry:
Sure this won't happen to you but just be aware and try to protect your income!

I understand what you are saying because I keep thinking that it myself. Apparently in her line of work you have to keep up with things as software changes so muhc and her hubby is head of a local Police Force so I just keep thinking they must be well paid! :D She keeps asking if I will have space for all of them, which I do as I have an assistant but rather the money was in my pocket :D

Michelle M
26-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Hope you can find some short term minding to fill the gap - it's such a lot of income to lose.

Will be good in the long term though if she does go back to work and you have all the children

Miffy xx

I have 4 under 3's at the moment with a variation, I dont seem to be losing any weight with all this running around :laughing: