PDA

View Full Version : Will my 4yr old be rising 5?

MrsT333
25-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi all

My 4 year old son is strarting school in Sept. He will be just 4. Will he still be classed as a rising 5?

Reason askin is I have been asked to look after a baby in Sept and if ds is classed as a rising 5 i will be able to look after baby.

Thanks for any advice!

crazybones
25-01-2009, 12:42 PM
As soon as he goes full time he will be classed as 5. Be careful though because some schools stagger them part time for the first few weeks. So when he is doing 10 sessions ie morning and afternoon per week then he is 5

rickysmiths
25-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Once your son is in full time school is is classed as an over 5. You may have to apply for a variation to cover you for the few weeks that he may only be attending school for half a day. You have plenty of time to apply for this and you shouldnt have a problem getting it either.

Mummits
26-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Now I'm really confused!

We were told on our pre-reg course that "rising fives" (children under five but at school 10 sessions a week) could be counted as over 5 - ie in 5-7 age bracket. But I was later told by the OFSTED inspector that under EYFS the under 5, over 5 classification is out of date and that what is now relevant is whether the children are in the Early years group which means up to end of reception year at school, regardless of how many sessions they attend or how old they are.

So, a child could be just 5 or perhaps nearly 6 when they "move up" to the older classification, which is obviously a nuisance as any before/after school reception year children need what was an "under 5" place.

Can anyone confirm this, or put me right if I have misunderstood?

Kes
26-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I was under the impession that if they were in school full time then they were classed as over 5. My son is 4 and has been in school full time since september. I moved house in august so I wrote to Ofsted to change my address and also mentioned that my son was in school full time and could I have my certificate changed to reflect this. They did change it but said it was a variation.
Maybe you could do the same just to be on the safe side, you would have to get your certificate changed when they were over five anyway.

balloon
26-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I can clarify that a child has to be in 10 sessions per week to be classed as over 5. All the time they are only attending half days they count as one of your under 5s.

Info comes from Ofsted less than 2 weeks ago.

Rubybubbles
26-01-2009, 02:37 PM
somewhere on here is a really really long topic on this:D

Yes they are def counted as a rising 5! My dd was 4 in August I she has moved up on my certificate and I have 3 under eyfs spaces! I had my inspection in Novemeber, as asked againg as I started with a lo 4 in aug also who goes to school full time and she said yep, he goes into rising 5's

I can;t believe there is still confusion from Ofsted inpectors on this:panic: