PDA

View Full Version : what do you do if you have holiday left over

sammy
25-01-2009, 12:18 AM
i was just thinking that i havnt used all my 4 weeks holiday up, so should i say to the mum that can i take my 2 weeks left by end of april, (not that im planning on going anywhere) or carry them over to next year, or that she should pay me for the days i havnt taken? (not too sure if i could ask for the last one) but i didnt know what everyone else did?

thanks

Mollymop
25-01-2009, 12:37 AM
My parents don't pay me for not working - I do not charge when i am not working.
You are self employed therefore it is up to you how many weeks in a year you have as holiday, etc.

SO if you feel like having a couple of extra weeks holiday this year then do it, it is up to you.
But I don't think it would be fair on the parents to pay you extra for holidays that you have not taken, because you have not taken time off which was your decision. You are not employed by them so you take your own hoildays. If you still charge them to keep the space open while you are taking time off then that is up to you as long as parent is happy and it is in your contract.

But if you have decided to not take the time off why should they pay you?

Anyway, if were you I would still carry on as normal this year and have the amount of holiday I would usually have in a year. The parents might be put -out if you have 6/7/8 weeks hol this year when they are used to you only taking 4. But they are your parents you know them best.

S xx

tulip0803
25-01-2009, 12:56 AM
It's up to you whether you take the time off or not. I don't think you should charge them 2 weeks extra just because you haven't taken them though.

I say I will have up to 4 weeks holiday BUT rarely take it because I don't charge for my time off.

If you try to carry it over into the next year you may be in breach of contract if you go over your stated holiday weeks, unless you got signed written agreement from the families I suppose.

Personally if I don't use it I loose it, the same as if I worked a normal job, you are not normally allowed to carry holidays over there. Although this is you business and you can make the rules as long as you give the parents notice and make sure that your contract with them is valid.