PDA

View Full Version : I have a dog.

lisaw04
24-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi All,
I am a new member pre-reg. I am hoping to start up early next year. I was just wondering if anyone knows the situation with dogs and child minding, is it allowed? will it mean refusal of application.
Thanks all

Pauline
24-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi Lisa

No you won't be refused because you have a dog, but you will be asked about how you will have the dog alongside the children and have to have risk assessments in place.

I'm sure there are dog owners who will be along soon with more advice.

(I will move your question to minding chat as you will get more response there :))

Hebs
24-01-2009, 07:24 PM
i have a dog and it was fine

infact my inspector loved him and wanted to take him home :laughing:

you do need to keep a record of vaccinations, womring and flea treatment
you also need to keep the garden/outdoor play area clean of poop

just stuff that you probably do already :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
24-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a springy spaniel and kids love her, the dog is not so impressed though!

DudleyChildmind
24-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a dog but the inspector asked me to put her out while she was here the other day because she didn't like dogs. The poor thing was shut in the kitchen for 4 hours :(

It's never been a problem for me before and I've been minding for 19 years :)

mushpea
24-01-2009, 09:06 PM
we have the soppiest labrador going and when the inspector came she told me that she had swopped me with another inspector as the other one didn't like dogs! other than that no more was mentioned about the dog other than worming to which i said yes his wormed but the worms from a dog can't be passed to children or adults as they are different type of worm which she didn't even know!
the dog was as good as gold the whole time she was there and i even told her how we all go for a walk with him during the day and this wasnt a problem either, althoug this is only about 30mins at most and is mainly to get the younger ones to sleep.
my friend keeps her 'small' dog in a cage all day whilst the minded children are there but i don't see the need for this. our mut has the run of the house and the children are taught that when he is on his bed he is to be left alone as this is his 'private' place. I have also fenced off the grass area in the garden (although not neccersary) because i feel it is easier to clean up poos and wees from the patio area, i wash these down with detol all of which the inspector was ok with.
in the end i think it comes down to the fact that you know your own dog.
i also think it is important for minded children to learn about dogs and other animals as they may not get this chance at home .

Mollymop
24-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a dog and I have never had a problem. Both inspectors I have had loved my dog and fussed him up no end (he is a house dog) as long as the children are safe around him/her there should be no problem x

Pipsqueak
24-01-2009, 09:21 PM
i have two dogs - one of them a hyper mutt!! No problems at all - just told them lots of information about hygiene, keeping the children and the dogs safe from each other (mutal respect!!!) etc

FizzysFriends
24-01-2009, 09:29 PM
other than that no more was mentioned about the dog other than worming to which i said yes his wormed but the worms from a dog can't be passed to children or adults as they are different type of worm which she didn't even know!

You can't pick up worms from animals but they pass diseases to humans that are potentialy very serious.

louised
24-01-2009, 09:41 PM
the worms from a dog can't be passed to children or adults as they are different type of worm which she didn't even know!

As a responsible dog owner I feel I had to add this, dog worms can be passed to children and adults, I cannot believe that as a dog owner you did not know this already. Worm eggs are passed through dog faeces or through unwormed dogs licking children.

Toxocara canis causes the parasitic disease toxocariasis which includes two major forms:

1. Ocular larva migrans (OLM): Toxocara infections may cause OLM, which is an eye disease that leads to blindness. OLM occurs when a microscopic worm enters the eye and causes inflammation and formation of a scar on the retina. On average, more than 700 people are infected with Toxocara and experience permanent partial loss of vision each year. Treatment of OLM is more difficult and usually consists of measures to prevent progressive damage to the eye.
2. Visceral larva migrans (VLM): This is a rare heavier form of toxcara infections that can cause VLM. VLM is a disease that causes swelling of the body's organs or central nervous system. Symptoms include fever, coughing, asthma, or pneumonia which is caused by worms moving through the body. VLM is treated with antiparasitic drugs, usually in combination with anti-inflammatory medications.

tulip0803
24-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I have a dog, 3 cats, a rat and a rabbit. I have never had a problem :) .

You will have to worm the dog and make a note of when, good practice also to make a note of next date in diary too.

Worms from cats & dogs can be passed to humans - normally with few ill effects but as Louised said there can be serious cases so worming is a must.

marion123
24-01-2009, 10:44 PM
we have just got a puppy and the mindees love her ,the mindees help look after her they love taking her out and the 2yrs and 4 yrs have even told there parents that its there dog too i have done a policy on her .
I had a dog 3 yrs ago but she died of old age when i got inspected ofsted was fine with her as long as you keep your garden clean etc

Mollymop
25-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Yes I have to agree with Louise. Worms can be passed on to humans via dogs.

Hebs
25-01-2009, 09:21 AM
besides the fact that dogs CAN pass worms on to humans, worms can make dogs very poorly so should be done regardless of the risk to humans for the benefit of the dogs health

:thumbsup:

mushpea
25-01-2009, 10:51 AM
As a responsible dog owner I feel I had to add this, dog worms can be passed to children and adults, I cannot believe that as a dog owner you did not know this already. Worm eggs are passed through dog faeces or through unwormed dogs licking children.

Toxocara canis causes the parasitic disease toxocariasis which includes two major forms:

1. Ocular larva migrans (OLM): Toxocara infections may cause OLM, which is an eye disease that leads to blindness. OLM occurs when a microscopic worm enters the eye and causes inflammation and formation of a scar on the retina. On average, more than 700 people are infected with Toxocara and experience permanent partial loss of vision each year. Treatment of OLM is more difficult and usually consists of measures to prevent progressive damage to the eye.
2. Visceral larva migrans (VLM): This is a rare heavier form of toxcara infections that can cause VLM. VLM is a disease that causes swelling of the body's organs or central nervous system. Symptoms include fever, coughing, asthma, or pneumonia which is caused by worms moving through the body. VLM is treated with antiparasitic drugs, usually in combination with anti-inflammatory medications.

yes of course they can get the diseases from the worms, but i was told by an nhs nurse that the worms in dogs are far bigger than the ones in humans and can't be passed on (i had a child inmy care with them) and from some of your posts you seem to think i don't worm my dog, i do and he is reguarly given flea treatment and also his yearly jabs, unlike the muts next door who never have any treatment and never go out for any walks and are left alone all day! which according to the rspca is absooulty fine grrrrrr!!!!

Shar
25-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I have a dog who is wormed every 3 months and for her own protection is not allowed in the main play area whilst the mindees are here. As long as you risk assess the fact that you have a dog and show Ofsed that the children are not in any danger you will be fine.:thumbsup:

CCJD
25-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi

I have two dogs and have not yet had a problem with them affecting my childminding business.

We love dogs and I think that childminded children can gain much from being around pets - especially as, with working parents, the chances are, they do not have pets at home. They get to know how to treat animals and pets and especially in the case of dogs can overcome any anxiety that comes from not being around them.

I think though that the key to successful childminding with pets is to acknowledge and prepare for the fact that not everyone will feel the same as you. Not everyone likes dogs.

The reality of my setting is that although I have pets, the impact of these dogs on the mindees day in fairly small.

When parents come to my house they see that I have two dogs and that my dogs are well behaved pets that do not jump up. I childmind in my playroom and the playroom has a stairgate so that the dogs do not come in there and I find it works well to have an area of the house, where I work and they dont have access to. The children therefore do not have unsupervised access to my dogs (for the good of both dog and child - there was an awful thread not so long ago on here where a mindee bit a small dog and drew blood!! ).

You need to ensure that the basics for hygene are followed as above, mess clearing, worming etc.

I have a comprehensive pet policy that outlines the health and safety measures I have ,the benefits that the children can gain from me having pets and the behaviour I expect and encourage in the chidlren towards the pets. The Bromley Childminding Association website has a good template for a pet policy .

It certaintly wont go against you if you have pets - but it is wise to prepare and consider how you want the pets to interact in your day and with your mindees. Think about dropping off time and picking up time with parents with children and pets at the door ( I quickly shut my dogs in the lounge when I answer the front door so that there isnt too much going on in the hallway and nobody gets knocked over with), think about the main part of your day and leaving the pets and children unsupervised (my mindees are in the stairgated playroom if I pop to the loo etc), think about the nature of your dog when children get excited or run around outside (will your dog chase around and knock them over / will they mind if the mindee picks up their toy etc). So long as you think about these things you will be fine.

Good luck

Twinkles
25-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I have a dog who is wormed every 3 months and for her own protection is not allowed in the main play area whilst the mindees are here. As long as you risk assess the fact that you have a dog and show Ofsed that the children are not in any danger you will be fine.:thumbsup:

I also live in Surrey and lost my darling Golden Retriever in October due to lung worm. I had been using the tablets from the pet shop ( they don't protect against lung worm - I didn't know that :( )

Also as it is becoming common in this area my vet recommends worming every month.
I only mention this as I don't want anyone else to go through what we went through - it was awful.

Sorry slightly off topic I know but I had to say something.

FizzysFriends
25-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I also live in Surrey and lost my darling Golden Retriever in October due to lung worm. I had been using the tablets from the pet shop ( they don't protect against lung worm - I didn't know that :( )

Also as it is becoming common in this area my vet recommends worming every month.
I only mention this as I don't want anyone else to go through what we went through - it was awful.

Sorry slightly off topic I know but I had to say something.

Our vet recommended every 6 months (now she isn't a puppy), thats with the milbimax from the vets.

Daftbat
26-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I have been childminding for nine years and six months ago bought a black german shepherd puppy. Childminders are allowed to have dogs but like any other potential hazard you need to show that you have thought about the implications for child safety in your setting. I did a risk assessment to accompany my policies and procedures and sent a copy to Ofsted for the records. I have extra baby gates in place in order that i can isolate the dog from small children who can then play in peace. I also have a large crate which he used to sleep in and i now keep in storage and would use it if i felt that he needed to be isolated further. We got the puppy rather than an older dog in order that he would get used to a busy household and he has settled in well with the kids but i am always mindful that the safety of the children comes first. No children are ever left alone with the dog. The dog does not accompany us on school runs or walks unless another adult is with us who will take full comtrol of the dog.

I have had no problems and my minded parents are happy with my controls. I have even had children come to me recently because the parent wanted their child to overcome their fear of dogs. I think it does children good to socailise with animals and learn how to behave around them and how to care for them. Dogs need respect as well as leadership and i am doing my best to ensure that everyone gets along well.

mandy moo
26-01-2009, 08:18 PM
We too have a dopey, bouncy black Lab, the mum of one of my mindees was bitten as a young adult and has been terrified of dogs since, she will now pet Abbie before even saying hello to her daughter!
I only remember the inspector asking where I keep her food and water bowls, nothing was mentioned about worming and innoculations etc!!
which we do as a matter of course.

lisaw04
27-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your great advise. I have a Bulldog, he is the soppiest dog in the world, I dont have any issues with him and children as I have a 4 year old of my own who climbs on him all the time.

I was just a little worried about the inspectors point of view, and that it might put some parents off.

Thanks all, you have put my mind at rest.