PDA

View Full Version : self employed AND employed at the same time!!!

lilliuspillius
29-01-2008, 12:52 PM
can any one give me advice on this one please....... I am still childminding (self employed), but am also going back to my old job working one night shift a fortnight in a residential home (being employed!), starting beginning of March. I will only earn £80 per night shift, so guess i dont pay tax for this purpose, but combined with childminding - i problably will have to pay?. What do i do about tax?, do i need to let someone know that i am both employed and self employed? or will my employer do that? - not too sure whose responsibility it is.
Any advice would be really welcome. thank you. Hermione

sarah707
29-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi! It will all go on your self employment tax return - there are boxes for 'income from other sources' on there...

Hope the job is good for you and not too tiring! :D

Cheeky Chops
29-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi !!

this is my first post! I am also struggling with the same thing! I have been working in retail all of the financial year, I just recently started childminding about 3 weeks ago, when do I fill in a tax return form? or how do i do my taxes? Do I have to send it in before april or is it earlier and if it is earlier will I be fined ???!! Im really confused!!

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks GG x :confused:

samw
29-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Ive just seen the advert for self assessment forms needing to be in by January 31st!!! Does this apply to me, Ive only been minidng since October? :panic:

Sam x

sutherland
29-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi !!

this is my first post! I am also struggling with the same thing! I have been working in retail all of the financial year, I just recently started childminding about 3 weeks ago, when do I fill in a tax return form? or how do i do my taxes? Do I have to send it in before april or is it earlier and if it is earlier will I be fined ???!! Im really confused!!

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks GG x :confused:

Have you advised the tax office that you are working self employed? If not you need to call them within 3 months of starting self employment.They will send you a tax return after the tax year end (5th April) this then needs to be completed and returned by end January next year so dont worry about a fine

HTH?

sutherland
29-01-2008, 01:48 PM
The forms that are due back for the end of this month are the tax returns for 2006/2007 so dont worry if u have only started minding since April 2007. You'll get your form for 2007/2008 in a couple of months

Does this make sense?

sarah707
29-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Perfect sense Michelle! :D

samw
29-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks Michelle, Id got myself into a real panic...book-keeping is not my forte!!

Sam x

louise
29-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi, I started minding last jan so had to do a tax return last year for both minding and my employed job. I let the tax office know. I didnt have to pay last year but im expecting too this year so have been keeping some back.
Lou