PDA

View Full Version : am i right or wrong...

rebjay123
29-01-2008, 12:44 PM
hi all. I'll nip and introduce myself in a mo but have got an inspection anytime now ( been registered 4 yrs ), i belong to a local childminding group and we have some good debates,idea swapping etc but came up with a few questions none of us quite knew the answer to as different inspectors had said different things to different minders...
1. I carry medical permission forms in my bag, although i cant authorize treatment its got all the details on for the medical staff. A photo of the child is attached and a minder was told this could be a child protection issue if anyone got hold of my bag and the child....
2. I had a new boiler fitted ( I dont have a fire ) 5 yrs ago and do ofsted insist on a yearly service certificate. I minder was asked if she had test certificates for electrical items, microwave,kettle etc.
3. I dont use an NCMA register but one I have devised myself, is it an ofsted requirement for the parent to sign it.
4. I am having new kitchen units fitted in april as a flood caused the doors to warp and two to become loose, therefor not all the safety locks work properly. i've moved all cleaning stuff etc to a safe place and have safety gates so they dont access the kitchen at all. Do you think they will pull me on that? would appreciate any help.....thanks

Pauline
29-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi and welcome!

I've just had my inspection and think I can answer all the above based on mine:

1. I too carry the same things, the inspector thought it was a great idea and I explained that I keep then secure in my bag and while I appreciated that it could be a confidential information problem if it fell into the wrong hands I felt it was worth the risk in return for having emergency info to hand - she agreed.

2, I wasn't asked for them and don't have any. If you do have them then I would show them as it would help show good practice

3. My register is my own design and I don't get parents to sign. She said it was fine

4. I don't have any childproof locks in my kitchen as, like you, I have gates to it and the children are not allowed in un supervised. This is explained in my 'keeping children safe policy'

hope that helps, I think you will be fine. Will be interested to hear what others haved to say though in case their inspection went differently:)

charleyfarley
29-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I am the same as Pauline although I do have certificate for fire check and have certificates for some electric and gas work but only because we had an extension. Ofsted have never asked to see any of them.

I don't have cupboard locks either, it's a new kitchen, have gate on so children are not allowed in there without me.

I carry the information in my handbag also as you never know if you may need it whilst out and about

I do use the NCMA register though so it is signed every week

Good luck with your inspection

Carol xx

sarah707
29-01-2008, 01:28 PM
See myth of the month from July 07 -

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

The rest have been answered! :D

Mollymop
29-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Phew! glad to hear about not having your boiler checked and electrical equipment as i haven't any and I was sure ofsted will tell me off about it. Worry over..:D