PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Question

helenlc
23-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I currently am booked on a local Paediatric First Aid course that is costing me £41 to start in 2 weeks.

I have been informed that there is a First Aid course being run at my Local Children's Centre that is 12 hours and FREE. But its not actually entitled "Paediatric" although it covers children and babies within it.

I know of 2 childminders who have done this course and it has been accepted by Ofsted.

I phoned Ofsted and asked if this would be sufficient and she said Yes as long as it met the criteria in the EYFS.

So I looked in my EYFS pack under Criteria for First Aid and it says that the course has to cover all the medical practices etc "for babies and children". It stipulates that resusitation aids ie the dummies, must include children and baby models.

So if this course does cover everything to do with children (and I am just waiting for someone from the Cnetre to get back to me with the course content) then I should be ok to do it, shouldnt I? Or would you still go with the Paediatric one to be on the safe side?

Its not necessarily about the cost, although saving £41 would be nice, but its also about time. The one I have to pay for is over 4 evenings over 2 weeks. The other one is still 4 sessions but during the day (and on a day when I dont have a mindee).

What would you do?

marion123
23-01-2009, 01:19 PM
i would try and cancel and try and get your money back phone them you have nothing to lose

misst104
23-01-2009, 01:22 PM
If Ofsted said it would be o.k then I would definitely cancel the other course and get onto the free one. £41 is £41 at the end of the day and I'm sure there are better things for you to spend your money on! :thumbsup:

Jo x x x

rickysmiths
23-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I would do the free one at the childrens centre. The people at the childrens centre should be able to confirm that it is suitable. If it is run over 12hrs it sounds as if it should be fine:laughing:

helenlc
23-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have spoken to someone from the Childrens Centre. I am going to copy the EYFS list about what the course should include to meet the requirements, then she is going to show it to the lady who runs the First Aid course at the Centre and see if she thinks its suitable.

Hopefully it is!!

marian
23-01-2009, 06:38 PM
My first aid course was at a local childrens centre and was 12 hours in total

Marian x

jibberjitz
23-01-2009, 08:53 PM
If Ofsted ok'd it then I would cancel the other and go with the free one :thumbsup:

Liz